Author Topic: Electric Water Pump  (Read 8981 times)

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
Re: Electric Water Pump
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2007 - 08:16:15 PM »
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2007 - 08:24:53 PM »
Are you guy's that hard up to get every .1 of a second off your ET. I mean why not get rid of your side windows, heater blower, back seat.

You can gut the doors out too, theres a side beam that runs along the width of the door--only need it if you were to get hit, which would never happen to us-- While you at it rip the carpet out too.

Think you can get a light weight gas tank and put it in the trunk, so the factory tank and straps can go too.

Oh did you already do all that  :bananasmi

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2007 - 08:33:31 PM »
What could really help your ET's is if you still have the steel wheels, get light weight racing wheels--not street legal--rotating weight takes alot of power. Forgot just how it went but its like you get rid of 50 lbs of rotating weight-the car thinks its lost 150 lbs. It takes more power to turn heavy wheels--thats why some speed nuts remove the back brake drums.

You only live once  too, remember that.

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2007 - 08:45:10 PM »
Well, even if alternator effieciency is 50%, 57 amps will still only consume about two 2 hp.

Exactly, but if all of the accessories (except A/C of course) combined only suck up only about 5 horsepower total how much could using an electric water pump help out? Especially when it will take 1 horsepower (about 20 amps) to run.  I'm not trying to be a naysayer , I'm all for new technologies. I am actually integrating a fair amount of modern stuff into my car.  I just want to see some real data on their benefits for a street car.  

I just have a feeling that this may be like what happened a few years ago when everyone started toting about how incredible electric fans are and how you gain so much power.  I know I bought into it.  After testing it was found that a thermal clutch set up was almost as efficient as the electric and it cooled much better.  Today most people will say to stick with a decent thermal clutched fan set up.

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2008 - 12:00:42 AM »
Are you guy's that hard up to get every .1 of a second off your ET. I mean why not get rid of your side windows, heater blower, back seat.

You can gut the doors out too, theres a side beam that runs along the width of the door--only need it if you were to get hit, which would never happen to us-- While you at it rip the carpet out too.

Think you can get a light weight gas tank and put it in the trunk, so the factory tank and straps can go too.

Oh did you already do all that  :bananasmi

Hard up? No. Interested in going faster? Yes! I think that's called hot roddin! Ya, I've done almost everything else that is reasonable to go faster and make more power. Fast comes down to power to weight ratio.  I've got lightweight wheels, lots of aluminum parts, fiberglass hood, take out back seat and passenger seat, heater blower, electric radiator fan, lightweight brakes, plastic fuel cell in trunk, etc etc etc.  You do whats necessary so you don't get beat by a camaro!

72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2008 - 01:01:19 AM »
" [?quote from quagmire] I just have a feeling that this may be like what happened a few years ago when everyone started toting about how incredible electric fans are and how you gain so much power.  I know I bought into it.  After testing it was found that a thermal clutch set up was almost as efficient as the electric and it cooled much better.  Today most people will say to stick with a decent thermal clutched fan set up.
[/quote]"

Electric fans are great. I have an alum radiator, and I put a $75 Summit 14 inch electric fan on it that I rarely have to turn on. And I got rid of the big 5 blade Mopar clutch fan that my engine was having to turn. I gurarntee you, if you take off your engine fan, you will notice a difference in engine response. I do agree that an electric fan will not cool as well on a copper-brass radiator. Those radiators need to have more air going through them to get similar cooling as an aluminum.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008 - 01:04:43 AM by cudabob496 »

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline quagmire

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2008 - 01:20:52 AM »
Actually, I am running a huge aluminum radiator with a 16" 3000cfm electric fan and my car still gets hot during the summer months.  When it is really hot out, the temp creeps higher than I feel comfortable with.  When the clutch was disengaged on the old fan, I couldnt feel any drag at all when driving it.  Only when it was engaged would I feel anything at all.  I will most likely be going back to that set up for next summer.  I'm sure if I had no clutch at all and it was always on it would feel a lot more sluggish though. 

nivvy

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2008 - 01:38:47 AM »
I have NEVER run Hot on the street yet with my be cool setup an the hp im putting out..... and no my car is not gutted and has everything in it!!!

Just looking for better stuff to blow my money on....  :2cents: whats wrong with that ???

Offline quagmire

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2008 - 02:04:02 AM »
Ha ha! I know that feeling.  I dont think I'll ever be done messing with my car, I should probably seek psychiatric help!  Does that Be Cool set up use dual fans?  I think the only way I'll consider keeping the electric fans is if I can get something that will blow at least 5000cfm.  I just need to find something I can fit on my radiator core

nivvy

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2008 - 02:05:28 AM »
yes dual fans  :2thumbs:

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2008 - 05:15:35 AM »
Actually, I am running a huge aluminum radiator with a 16" 3000cfm electric fan and my car still gets hot during the summer months.  When it is really hot out, the temp creeps higher than I feel comfortable with.  When the clutch was disengaged on the old fan, I couldnt feel any drag at all when driving it.  Only when it was engaged would I feel anything at all.  I will most likely be going back to that set up for next summer.  I'm sure if I had no clutch at all and it was always on it would feel a lot more sluggish though. 

You shouldn't be having an overheating problem with an aluminum radiator. There has to be something else causing it. I have a 72 service manual for my Cuda. It lists possible causes of overheating: blocked radiator air passages, incorrect timing, low engine oil, incorrect valve timing, bad temp gauge, restricted overflow tube, faulty rad cap, frozen heat control valve, dragging brakes, excessive engine idle, frozen coolant, faulty fan drive, faulty temp sending unit, faulty vacuum bypass valve, overfilling, insufficient corrosion inhibiter, blown head gasket, broken or shifted lower hose spring, low coolant level, collapsed rad hose, fan belt lose, glazed, or oily, air leak through bottom hose, bad thermostat, water pump impeller broken or lose, restricted rad water passages or restricted engine water jacket.

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

nivvy

« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2008 - 09:43:25 AM »
Look at some of the moparts guys with a shogun setup  :bigsmile:
I just want a nice little meziere.... not a local plumber setup  :scared:
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008 - 09:46:57 AM by StRoKer »

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2008 - 10:31:17 AM »
Hey with taking the drag off from the water pump you could increase your fuel mileage.
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline quagmire

« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2008 - 01:20:07 PM »
You shouldn't be having an overheating problem with an aluminum radiator. There has to be something else causing it. I have a 72 service manual for my Cuda. It lists possible causes of overheating: blocked radiator air passages, incorrect timing, low engine oil, incorrect valve timing, bad temp gauge, restricted overflow tube, faulty rad cap, frozen heat control valve, dragging brakes, excessive engine idle, frozen coolant, faulty fan drive, faulty temp sending unit, faulty vacuum bypass valve, overfilling, insufficient corrosion inhibiter, blown head gasket, broken or shifted lower hose spring, low coolant level, collapsed rad hose, fan belt lose, glazed, or oily, air leak through bottom hose, bad thermostat, water pump impeller broken or lose, restricted rad water passages or restricted engine water jacket.

Well, the entire cooling system is brand new and I didnt have any problems until I went to an electric fan.  It has to be the fan not moving enough air, I just either have to switch back to mechanical or find two fans that will fit on my radiator and blow more air than the single fan I currently have.  I dont know if it is a problem with the big blocks, but for small blocks you have to fab up mounts for all of the accessories because of the way the pump mounts to the timing cover.  They do sell inline electric water pumps that mount in between sections of radiator hose and are supposed to be very powerful.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2008 - 01:27:12 PM »
I agree , my experience with electric fans is they do not cool as well as the factory clutch fan & a shroud , when moving at speed the fans should never come on at all , the air flow should be enough , if the fans are on they ae probably blocking flow not helping it

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t