Author Topic: Going to paint  (Read 663 times)

bbscamp

Going to paint
« on: December 30, 2007 - 10:05:33 PM »
Sort of.   Since no one seems to want an unfinished project, that's a little more motivation to get'r done.  The 70 Chally (old S6/904/7.25  soon to be  440/727/8.75)  is going in for a color change too.  Gone will be the original B5 Blue, and on will go Limelight Green.   It will be done in 2 steps.

Step 1:  all jambs, trunk, engine bay all done in BC/CC.  Exterior to have all final fitment of panels and bodywork done, sprayed in epoxy prime.

- then will come the mechanical build -

Step 2:  once built, back to paint for the exterior.  I like the T/A stripe without the T/A...and might get the decal.  The painter would like to do it in paint and CC over it.  Comments? 

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
Re: Going to paint
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007 - 10:16:10 PM »
My painter wanted to do the stripe under the CC as well.  I thought that I could always just remove the stripe if i didn't like it, or someone else later. :2cents:

Tom
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007 - 10:24:04 PM »
Step 2:  once built, back to paint for the exterior.  I like the T/A stripe without the T/A...and might get the decal.  The painter would like to do it in paint and CC over it.  Comments? 
Painting the stripe then clear coating it would look nice.  My black stripes and the hood scoops were done in black and then clear coated over 30 years ago.  I think it is a personal preference as to whether you like vinyl tape stripping or painted on stripes.   The vinyl decals will be a flat black color which can be a real pain when waxing the paint.  Vinyl can tear and peel also.  Depends on your taste.  I like the look of vinyl decals, but they require some TLC.
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline LAA66

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007 - 11:18:18 PM »
 I would hesitate to use a polishing wheel around tape due to burning or tearing. There always seems to be polish or wax on the tape margins too. Then it's toothbrush time, and a dust down. Just more work. :2cents: