Author Topic: What drives better :- Challenger or 'Cuda -: POLL  (Read 4706 times)

Offline FM3V6M

• TX9 383 4spd
    • mytx9cuda
Re: What drives better :- Challenger or 'Cuda -: POLL
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2007 - 08:32:47 PM »
Personally, I like the 'Cuda, feels smaller inside and drives like a smaller car, Challenger is roomier inside and feels like driving a bigger ride, but not much difference - only slightly, JMHO.

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2007 - 08:44:38 PM »
a SIX PACK under full acceleration does make the nose lighter :bigsmile:

:bigsmile: It sure does!!!!!!!!!
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2007 - 08:46:06 PM »
I never got to drive a Hemi YET so I can not say it is not heavy but I bet the it would be fast enough not to worry about the weight.
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2007 - 10:18:29 PM »
I never got to drive a Hemi YET so I can not say it is not heavy but I bet the it would be fast enough not to worry about the weight.

...I have to admit, I never liked the way mine handled/drove.....but, I was kinda scared to drive it hard, it was the first HEMI Challenger ever made and was beyond perfect condition, so I babied it nearly all the time to keep it that way.....but I did do quite a few stoplight blasts with it, unbelieveable amount of smoke off the old Polyglass tires....on the interstate it drove nice and strong...it was the only car I ever owned/drove that you could REALLY watch the gas gauge move as you went down the highway at high speed....the only time I ever attempted to check the mileage was after an all day run to a car show and I drove it pretty hard(used the 8-PACK most of the way) there and back....seemed to get between 4-5 mpg...

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2008 - 03:36:09 AM »

Small block in either car is the better handler (obviously). I was quite amazed at the difference in my Challengers' 440 handling vs the 'Cudas' 340 handling. The 340 just felt heaps lighter although it was only 100lbs give or take more up front on the k-frame in the challenger but still, a HUGE difference in the feel and drive of the car. I took it to a sealed river road (non public) where I take all my photos of the cars, a 1 minute drive from my house and drove it very "enthusiastically" for quite some time and it was premo, like a light weight modern car.

Can't wait to drive big cube Hemi with the same weight and this time with a 5-speed in the right hand. As far as 'Cuda vs Challenger of the same configuration I doubt anyone on here would truly be able to tell the difference, it would be that minute it would be too hard to tell from the seat of the pants. Sure, you could say it "feels" a little different, "feels" this and that but only proper track testing and controlled read outs would offer the best results as far as comparisons are concerned being so similar. It's not like comparing a Mini with a Hummer. :2cents:

:thumbsup:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline matt63

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2008 - 04:57:50 PM »
Gentlemen, with the wider track on the Challenger, and the little heavier weight, virtually all the magazines at the time said the Challenger was easily the better "handling" car.   Some things are not so subjective.   The wheelbase increase makes the difference.
Agreed. I spoke with a guy at our Mopar club 2 years ago who owned one of each. He said the Challenger rode nicer due to the longer wheelbase.

Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline AprilsPink72Cuda

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
  • 1972 'Cuda 340/Wappingers Falls, NY
    • Klondike's Website (Check it out!)
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2008 - 06:32:38 PM »
the 4 spds are far better I think , never learned to drive an Auto  :dunno:

I thought I taught you how to drive an Auto at Carlisle the year before last  :dunno:
I thought you did just fine  :burnout:

Offline AprilsPink72Cuda

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
  • 1972 'Cuda 340/Wappingers Falls, NY
    • Klondike's Website (Check it out!)
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2008 - 06:34:22 PM »
I'll just say this...

My Challenger with power steering is alot easier to drive than April's manual steering Cuda. I'm sure her husband Joe won't forget that night.   :scared:
  Mike

Yeah, the poor Cuda won't forget it either.  At least it was the last time you picked on me for making Joe park next to all of the other nice cars at the hotel!!!   :roflsmiley:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2008 - 07:18:39 PM »
Yeah, the poor Cuda won't forget it either.  At least it was the last time you picked on me for making Joe park next to all of the other nice cars at the hotel!!!   :roflsmiley:

:stomp:   :stomp:   :stomp:   :stomp:   :stomp:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2008 - 11:53:40 AM »
I too must say I've never driven a Challenger.  Can I arrange a test drive in July - anyone?!  :)

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2008 - 04:53:21 PM »
I too must say I've never driven a Challenger.  Can I arrange a test drive in July - anyone?!  :)

Jeff

StRoKer?   :stirpot:   :stirpot:   :lol:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2008 - 05:34:54 PM »
I love the Cuda for its raw behaviour and appearance :burnout:. You`ve got to kick it in the direction you want to go and sometimes it feels like fighting the beast...I like getting out of the car with shaking legs... :scared:the challenger is a little more decent imho...
*** Bart ***