Author Topic: Picture of MSD ignition install  (Read 2238 times)

Offline BruteForce

• '72 Dodge Challenger 340 5spd
Picture of MSD ignition install
« on: December 31, 2007 - 04:49:04 AM »
I'm replacing the Mopar ECU with an MSD ignition. Anyone got a picture of their MSD install, so I can see how a successful layout of coil and MSD box was done?

Also, I'm putting in an electric fuel pump switch that cuts off when the oil pressure drops, so it has to be connected along with the oil pressure sender. Anyone got a pic of what their install looks like for that?

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
Re: Picture of MSD ignition install
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007 - 05:16:51 AM »
My coil is mounted on the intake manifold near the distributor. You can put the MSD box anywhere, as long as it is not too hot a spot. I have mine inside the car under that passenger side dash on the engine fire wall. I have removed my heating box. Also have the volt reg there.
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline BruteForce

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007 - 06:41:13 AM »
Where I live, removing the heating box would be unpleasant :-(

But I can see it would be better for the MSD electronics to be separated from the engine heat.

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007 - 09:30:39 AM »
I dont like seeing them stuck to engine xompartments. So i mount them inside, or under teh battery tray. You may have to extend the wires for those, but it gives you the chance to seperate the pick wires from the power leads, as they can cause feedback problems. You will want to run the small red power wire to the box thru the oil pressure switch, as the brain doesnt have a small ground wire. I would not run the pickup wires thru that safety switch. Also, you may find it hard to start iof there is no oil pressure, like after sitting overnight. You'll have to turn over the engine first, get oil pressure, then it will trigger the ignition. Personaly, I dont want it to shut down unexpectedly...lol. Plus, once the switch sees the oil pressure loss, the engine keeps rotating due to driveline inertia. You cant do much to stop damage due to oil pressure loss, unless you run an accumulator system. I like Canton's Accusump.

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007 - 09:47:53 AM »
I mounted my MSD under the Battery tray a few years ago.  I plan on mounting another one in the same spot on the Challenger later. :2thumbs:

Tom :bigsmile:
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007 - 09:51:45 AM »
Heres my MSD 7al unit and HVC coil and timing computer, I still think the 6 boxes are like Carter carbs, they are OK but theres better out there.

I like using wood to mount the items

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007 - 09:53:35 AM »
Hmm, only 1 picture at a time..I need a kid here sometimes, ha ha

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007 - 09:54:52 AM »
And the last one

Offline cowboy

• Denmark
    • CowboyCars.dk
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007 - 10:01:49 AM »
-
MoPar's for Cruizin, Racing & Pro-touring: www.CowboyCars.dk

1930 Plymouth Hot Rod wannabe - 1957 DeSoto Fireflite Sportsman - 1967 RaceCuda  -  1968 Barracuda  -  1971 Challenger R/T Conv.

Offline BruteForce

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007 - 06:03:08 PM »
moper - I'm using the oil pressure switch to cut off power to the fuel pump. While that will reduce engine damage, my primary reason for it is simple safety in an accident. To avoid excessive cranking while starting, I plan on adding a pushbutton "prime" switch that bypasses the oil pressure switch. Having the oil pressure switch also cut power to the ignition is an interesting idea, too. Your setup can avoid the cranking problem by having power from the starting circuit bypass the oil pressure switch.

dodge freak 2 - I'm feeling kinda stoopid, as I can't figure out from the picture where on the car the MSD box is! Is it under the battery tray? Why the block of wood rather than a metal bracket?

Thanks all for some great ideas. It never occurred to me that under the battery tray might be a good place.

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007 - 06:18:39 PM »
I also have an oil pressure safety switch to kill hte ignition coil, but my car still fires right up.  Hell, it starts quicker than my daily driver.  I've tested it to see if it kills the coil if pressure drops, and it works fine.  You may have drainback through the oil filter if you are using one without an antidrainback valve.

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007 - 06:25:26 PM »
If the box is in the engine compartment, try to get some ventilation hitting it to help keep it cool.
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007 - 06:40:37 PM »
I like using wood because you can bolt it in by 2 or 3 screws. This way if you change the part later on, you need not to drill new holes in the metal.

Under the battery tray is neat but what if you get caught in a bad thunderstorm, its going to get very wet down there.

Oh, its were the vapor can. used to go until it went in to the trash can  :cooldancing: We have no safety or smog checks for any cars here in Michigan.

A big ele. fan is in front of the rad, if you all wounder how the moor stays cool. Its been so cold here, I haven't used it for awhile--now a snow storm is here tonight so its no car until the rain comes again and washes the salt off the roads. I hate this time of year.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007 - 06:50:38 PM by dodge freak 2 »

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008 - 09:35:24 AM »
I've heard of water causing problems with the units upside down. I've never, ever, seen a problem first hand from it. Monsoons, downpours, road racing in steady rain, winter snows, never a problem. But i have heard of guys having it. I dont liek the way wood looks. I like the fact you can change things, it just isnt something I would do outside the passenger compartment.

Offline BruteForce

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008 - 03:42:36 PM »
It makes sense to use wood for the reason you state, it makes it super easy to modify. But wood has a problem when in an exposed area like that. Wood soaks up water, and then rots out any metal in contact with it. Essentially anything that impairs metal from drying out quickly after getting wet will promote rust. (That's why I leave the carpet out of the trunk, for example. I think a large part of the reason why floor pans rust out is because of the carpet.)

To use wood there, I'd at least separate it a bit from the sheet metal using washers or standoffs, anything so it isn't pressed up against the sheet metal.