Author Topic: Need advice on restoration literature  (Read 1529 times)

Offline sadil340

Need advice on restoration literature
« on: December 31, 2007 - 10:53:02 AM »
Getting close to paint on my car (18 months in the body shop!  :eek4:) and I have to start considering replicating factory markings and such. I saw some previous posts on the topic and no one seems to be recommending one "best" guide to help with the small details. I'm about to purchase Jim Schild's Restorer's Guide, but before I do is there anything better out there?

Thanks for the help!
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed
3:55 SureGrip
Owned since 1974
Bought from original owner

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
Re: Need advice on restoration literature
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007 - 10:59:02 AM »
Hi Sadil,
What are your plans, are you wanting to do something like an OE gold restoration on this car ?  Where specifically do you need the pictures taken of in regards to location on the undercarriage etc etc.

Kenny.
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline sadil340

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007 - 11:47:18 AM »
Thanks for the reply Kenny:

I'd love to achieve Gold - but don't have the budget for it - my wiper motor isn't correct '70, I'm using a chrome ignition coil, etc. but most of the car is factory correct. Also, I took 200 photos of the car before disassembly so I have a good record, but a lot of the factory markings have been obliterated with time. So basically, I'm looking for two things: factory inspection/paint markings for now and over time what I will need to replace to get to OE Gold.

As far as pics go, I have a pretty good portfolio that I took from various eBay shots, results of Google searches, etc. What I don't know is, do the shots accurately represent original specs? Discussions are also helpful, for example, some lower control arms were dipped in black in 1970 and some sprayed with Cosmoline.
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed
Owned since 1974

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007 - 11:52:55 AM »
Hey Sadil,
Sounds like you have been doing your homework buddy.   I have a lot of pictures on record for reference sake so when time comes and you need a perticular area with detailed pictures, i may be able to help you out or point you in the right direction as i know some guys who are way way up in the tree so to speack when it comes to OE Gold Restorations.

Kenny.

What color combo is your car and engine.
What exactly is it.

Offline sadil340

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007 - 12:03:08 PM »
Great offer, I will definitely take you up on that! I'm also lucky to have a local resource, Moper, who until recently I didn't know lives a mile from my house! Talk about small world. I didn't know there was another '70 Cuda in the neighborhood and neither did he.

The car is a 1970 Cuda FK5 Burnt Orange with a 340,  4 speed, 3:55 Sure Grip, tinted glass, dual chrome rally mirrors and factory undercoating. I have the original window sticker and broadcast sheet. I've been riding in the car since it was brand new and in 1974 the owner and I traded cars - he got a white '67 Caddy convertible - what a deal eh? Back then the Cuda had over 100,000 miles on it (even though only 4 years old) and was basically considered used up. I saw differently, rebuilt the motor and for the next 33 years put another 80,000 miles on it. All except for the first year I had it it's been garaged and not driven winters so the only sheet metal that had to be replaced was the rear quarters, tail panel and part of the window channels, typical stuff even for a California car.

I've done it over to original specs, engine balanced and blueprinted - only mods being a more modern grind cam, ARP fasteners and a Edelbrock carb. Trans was rebuilt by Moper using Passon parts and I'm looking for a rear-end rebuilder. I recurved the original springs, replaced all of the suspension and bushings, new wiring harnesses and rechrome. Most of the original parts were restorable.  I've even tried to retain the original bolts where possible.
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed
Owned since 1974

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007 - 12:07:48 PM »
 :wow: Wicked.
What color interior is going back in ?  was it a vinyl roof car or clean skin roof.  Sounds solid and you found a good neighbor in Moper.

I just love FK5 E-bodies. :drunk:

Offline sadil340

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007 - 12:16:48 PM »
I have the original dash pad and rear seat. The front seats were reupholstered with Legendary covers and foams. The interior is black. I also forgot the car came with a couple of more options, the Rallye dash, AM radio, and Rallye wheels. It had factory wheel opening mouldings but I don't see on the window sticker where they came from.

It was a clean skinned roof. Here is a picture of the car before breakdown:

1970 Cuda 340 4-speed
Owned since 1974

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007 - 12:25:14 PM »
Looks like their is something stuck to the side of the car goes all the way from the roof to the ground................. Oh, it's you.  :roflsmiley:  Just kidding.

Very nice color combo.  Burnt Orange is one of those colors when freshly painted and looked after, looks amazing as a color for an E-body. :drool:  Your paint looked half alright going by the picture.

Keep in touch, and i will help out where i can buddy. :2thumbs:

Offline sadil340

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007 - 12:28:54 PM »
Believe me I am stuck to the car! It's been painful for it to be at the body shop for almost two years but I do think I'll remember how every thing goes back together  :clueless:.

Thanks again for the offer, I'll keep you posted.
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed
Owned since 1974

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007 - 12:39:57 PM »
Cool  :o

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007 - 12:54:00 PM »
My Lite Gunmetal Metalic 71 Challenger RT is featured in Jim Schild's original  Challenger and Barracuda Restorer's guide. It is a great reference but lacks in some areas. I have some others but would have to dig them out. Remember some of the mopar magazines have done some great articles on factory markings with lots of pictures which would be great to read and look at the pictures. Many of the factory markings on the under side along with some under the hood are in the Challenger and Barracuda restorer's guide. Here are a couple of pictures on under the hood of my 70 Cuda 340 4-speed.
Jeff

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline sadil340

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007 - 01:38:26 PM »
Ken, looks like you've done that right! Engine bay looks like what I'm shooting for. I subscribed to Mopar Collector's Guide right after they did a series on engine bay details, I suppose I could email them and see if they can sell me the back issues.

Thanks for the reply.
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed
Owned since 1974

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008 - 03:43:09 AM »

Not sure if this will help or not but I'd try Julius from Restorations By Julius in LA. I've heard he is very helpful and has time for people who want to know things. One of the best car restorers and "correctness" gurus too.

:2cents: :wave:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline sadil340

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008 - 11:47:02 AM »
I'll give Julius a call and post to the Board what help he can offer.
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed
Owned since 1974

Offline 70Cuda

• 70 Cuda 383 70 Challenger 440+6 71 Challenger 383
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008 - 02:39:14 PM »
I highly recommend this e-body manual http://www.mmcdetroit.com/Market_Place/How_to_order.html since it gives all grades, colors, pictures, coatings and more for your fasteners.  The author is an OE gold judge too.  The only thing more a guy could ask for (in my opinion) is the inclusion of torque specs.  The manual I bought also gives factory markings but it was a special edition book - not sure if that info has been included in all manuals now or not.

Good luck with your project.