Author Topic: Picture challenge: How about we get postings of all the 70/71 Hemi converts?  (Read 22780 times)

Offline 70Cuda

• 70 Cuda 383 70 Challenger 440+6 71 Challenger 383
I thought that was some kind of paper like protection barrier laid on to keep it clean but who knows...

Offline xs29j8

Some "In the Rough" pictures...

Offline xs29j8

Two more...

Offline xs29j8

One larger pic...

Offline Silver68RT

Here's some pics I took at the Meadowbrook Concours in '95, 7 cuda's and one Challenger.

I've also got a low quality video of them all driving across the reviewing stand picking up trophies.

Offline 70Cuda

• 70 Cuda 383 70 Challenger 440+6 71 Challenger 383
Nice pictures and I also enjoyed seeing the black and blue Cuda too. 

Do you recommend the Meadowbrook Concours show and how does it stack up to others like the Nats, Carlisle and Vegas?

It looks like Bill Wiemann is selling off some of his collection

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-Plymouth-Hemi-Cuda-Concours-DElegance-Winner_W0QQitemZ150201521512QQihZ005QQcategoryZ6409QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WORLDS-MOST-FAMOUS-1971-Plymouth-Hemi-Cuda-Convertible_W0QQitemZ150196489737QQihZ005QQcategoryZ6409QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

and apparently this isn't the first time: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2005/10/17/8358046/index.htm

In the attached pictures you can see multiple Hemi converts he owns - at least 4-6 of them.

I haven't seen a lot of Challenger pictures posted - thus proving their rarity I guess!

« Last Edit: January 02, 2008 - 09:30:05 PM by 70Cuda »

daves70

I haven't seen a lot of Challenger pictures posted - thus proving their rarity I guess!

[/quote] I agree! :grinyes:

Offline Robert1050

Re: Picture challenge: How about we get postings of all the 70/71 Hemi converts
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2008 - 01:00:27 AM »
I found this Challenger at the 1979 Car Craft Street Machine Nationals, held in Pomona, CA.  It rained that weekend, limiting the number of cars that turned out.  This one caught my eye - word was that it was a barn-find, just cleaned up & trailered to the show.  Didn't find the owner, nor did I have the IQ to take any more pics of that car - Hey, it was 1979 & I had driven all the way from Inglewood to Pomona in my 70 'cuda 440-6.  Never saw it again (I went to the next 2 Street Machine Nationals in 1980 & 1981) & I did look for it again.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008 - 01:02:32 AM by Robert1050 »
1970 Challenger R/T 440-4
1970 'Cuda 440-6 (Gone, but not forgotten)
1999 Sea-Doo XPL 69.0 MPH
1998 Sea-Doo XPL 66.3 MPH
1981 Eliminator Daytona 80.3 MPH

Offline Silver68RT

Nice pictures and I also enjoyed seeing the black and blue Cuda too. 

Do you recommend the Meadowbrook Concours show and how does it stack up to others like the Nats, Carlisle and Vegas?

It looks like Bill Wiemann is selling off some of his collection

Thanks.  I didn't make it to Meadowbrook this year, but it's a nice show.  Harold Sullivan always brings something special, and usually goes home with a trophy.  There's a lot of variety, usually only a handful of musclecars.  More Ferrari's, Packards, Bugatti's, classic stuff.  They're nice to look at, but not something I aspire to own.  I went to Carlisle this year, and will definitely be back.  I walked until I could not take another step, and still didn't see everything.  I was pretty disappointed with the Mopar Nats, and I haven't been to the show in Vegas.  Mopars at the Mansion would be cool.  I've got some more pictures, somewhere.

This one was at the Chrysler display at the Woodward Dream Cruise, so I'm assuming it's real, but I couldn't get close enough to see the VIN, so it could be a clone.

The yellow '71 Hemi Cuda convertible is the car that got me interested in muscle cars in the first place, when it was on the cover of Muscle Car Review in '86.  I'm guessing the real estate slump is squeezing Wiemann, or he'd never be trying to sell something like that on eBay.  I was under the impression cars of this caliber usually change hands in private deals between mega-rich collectors.  I'd love to build a clone some day, but I started looking for an E-body convertable a little too late, and they're out of my reach now.  I passed up a few I should have bought, thinking they were pricy then, who knew? 

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
 :clapping:
Perhaps someone can post a list of all 41 actual 'Cuda & Challenger cars with their colors that they came in please. :droolingbounce:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline elephantitis1971

Hi Guys...
Just checking what I now know is true...I guess there is no Curious Yellow (GY3) 71 Canadian car, as stated in this earlier post:

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?PHPSESSID=7dcc369e388c0dd3a0f6a227830ee1a1&topic=199.0

Guess I'm ordering some 'In-Violet' today, I vaguely heard of Harold Sullivan's car, now I've seen it.  THAT'S the 'other' Canadian car, right?

http://public.fotki.com/DanJA442/71-hemicuda-convertibles/71-hemicuda-convertibles/

Please check out my MiniHemiCudas.  Somebody want a Curious Yellow 1/24 clone, lol.

Offline elephantitis1971

I DO have three small questions, tho, if time (and space) and space permits:

I saw the Rallye Red car (w. elasto option) in Carlisle about 4 yrs ago, it was wearing a black billboard.  Is this the same car shown next to the In-violet car?

Could you order a single (driver's only) chrome rallye mirror, like on the In-Violet car?

Last, and this one bugged me for a long time, what color were the shakers in 71, were all of 'em black?

Thank you guys in advance, I'm only trying to replicate the real things in scale, and want 'em correct, just like the real ones.
Dan

Offline Robert1050

Re: Picture challenge: How about we get postings of all the 70/71 Hemi converts
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2008 - 12:01:17 PM »
Could you order a single (driver's only) chrome rallye mirror, like on the In-Violet car?

Just like any other E-Bod, if the box wasn't checked for dual mirrors on the order form, it only got 1.  I still haven't gotten used to mine - I only have the driver's side mirror on my R/T.
1970 Challenger R/T 440-4
1970 'Cuda 440-6 (Gone, but not forgotten)
1999 Sea-Doo XPL 69.0 MPH
1998 Sea-Doo XPL 66.3 MPH
1981 Eliminator Daytona 80.3 MPH

Offline elephantitis1971

My last post today...I promise!  Answered my own question on the Red car, the car that was in Carlisle a while back(BS27R1B327882) had the standard interior.  But, a couple more questions to those who have seen the Purple 'Elephant' ;

What type of steering wheel, diameter looks like the standard one?

Does the car have a console?

What type of dash, std or rallye?

I'm done, thanks again.

...a couple more sites I've been getting info (both wrong and right) from:

http://www.mopar-owners-club.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=53

http://www.mopar-owners-club.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=4&Itemid=53

http://groups.msn.com/426HemiConvertibles/hemicudaconvertiblesinfo.msnw   

http://www.hemicuda.no/71cudaconv.html                       (have NO clue about this one)

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
Would anyone have a break down list for the Challengers. :dunno:
And feel free to add to the list and let us all know what is missing and what is not correct please.

1970 Hemi 'Cuda Convertibles

1: FC7 In-Violet             with X9 Black interior
  2: FC7 In-Violet             with X9 Black interior
  3: TX9 Black Velvet        with X9 Black interior
  4: TX9 Black Velvet        with B5 Blue interior
  5: TX9 Black Velvet        with T5 Saddle Tan interior
  6: FY1 Lemon Twist        with X9 Black interior
  7: FY1 Lemon Twist        with T5 Saddle Tan interior
  8: FC7 In-Violet             with XW White & Black interior
  9: EW1 Alpine White       with E4 Red interior
10: EW1 Alpine White       with X9 Black interior
11: FE5 Rallye Red           with E4 Red interior
12: FE5 Rallye Red           with X9 Black interior
13: EF8 Ivy Green Metallic with F8 Green interior
14: EK2 Vitamin C            with X9 Black interior

1971 Hemi 'Cuda Convertibles

1: GA4 Winchester Grey Metallic with X9 Black interior
2: GB5 True Blue Metallic          with X9 Black interior
3: GB5 True Blue Metallic          with X9 Black interior
4: GW3 Sno White                   with X9 Black interior
5: GW3 Sno White                   with X9 Black interior
6: FY1 Lemon Twist                 with XW White & Balck interior
7: EV2 Tor-Red                       with XV Orange & Black interior
8: EL5 Bahama Yellow              with X9 Black interior
9: FE5 Rallye Red                    with X9 Black interior

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.