Has anyone looking into the Electronic Power Steering?

Author Topic: Has anyone looking into the Electronic Power Steering?  (Read 3277 times)

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
Re: Has anyone looking into the Electronic Power Steering?
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2008 - 11:02:42 PM »
here is what from Toyota training manual,

it is a 12 v motor.  Yes it is in the can system but with some modification I think it could be made to work.

Electric Power Steering A 12V motor powers the EPS system so that steering feel is not affected when the engine shuts off.  The EPS ECU uses torque sensor output along with information from the Skid Control ECU about vehicle speed and torque assist demand to determine the direction and force of the power assist.  It then actuates the DC motor accordingly.

EPS Parts Location      

Figure 5.18   T072f114c

EPS ECU      The EPS ECU uses signals from the torque sensor to interpret the diver’s steering intentions. It combines this information with data from other sensors regarding current vehicle conditions to determine the amount of steering assist that will be required.  It can then control the  current to the DC motor that provides steering assist current to the DC motor that provides steering assist.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008 - 11:33:29 PM by 426HEMI »
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008 - 12:11:22 AM »
Yeah, it will require quite a bit of work to get that system running.  You'll need some way to adapt the skid control module and the input sensors to work on your car.  There are at least two external sensors needed, the steering angle sensor  ont the column and one on the rack.  It may also need inputs for wheel speed and a few other signals from other modules.  Most of these are broadcasted on the CAN bus network.  Depending on how the CAN network is set up, you may also need an engine ECU or others as not all modules have transmit/receive head ends depending on how it is configured.  You'll either need to find a way to reprogram those modules or build emulators for them to get it all to work.

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008 - 10:10:41 AM »
A little thought and work I think it would be really cool to have this system on a project.  I will have to find some of the parts when I get back and play to see if I can get it to work.  I have more of the training materials that I will be looking over to see what will be needed and I think I have the the schematics also so i will check into that.  Have a friend that is a training instructor for Toyota so might be able to get some things that way.  I will have to give him a call also.
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008 - 12:02:32 PM »
There are other cars using electro-hydraulic steering besides hybrids. The Honda S2000 and the Mini Cooper are a couple that I am aware of. The Cooper had problems with earlier model relay system that would reportedly leave the pump running after the car was shut off and sometimes would result in dead battery and wiring damage.

Interesting stuff though  :smokin: 
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008 - 12:30:27 PM »
The Hybrid from toyota uses no hydrolics.  That is why I said with the right set up then you could use the manual steering box,  just not sure that steering unit would be able to handle the bigger tires from the E-bodies.

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008 - 01:42:35 PM »
plenty high tech, and would conserve HP and maybe some gas. What HP do you reckon a pump consumes on an ebod running stock tires/wheels?
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008 - 01:49:19 PM »
Around 5 Hp I think or around that figure.  That would help through all bands of power.  Also less drag on the engine in turns and that would help in fuel Mileage.  Just a thought anyway and if I have time and can find the parts I will try to make it work.

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008 - 01:49:55 PM »
Unless you are hitting the steering locks on a sharp turn, the pump may consume about 1 horsepower if that. Idling and driving straight ahead really dont put any load on the pump.  One other thing to consider before you get your hands dirty is the steering ratio.  I'd find out what the Prius' rack ratio is before you do anything.  If it is a lot higher than ours it may be too hard on the electric motor if it is driving a much lower ratio box.  Also, you will need a high output alternator for it to work.  You will also need some sort of rectifier to make the 12v three phase power inputs.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008 - 02:01:11 PM by quagmire »

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2008 - 10:16:03 AM »
I will find my disk and check out the voltages to the power steering unit.  I do not think that they are three phase.  I am just going from memory and that fails me at times so I will check my info and make sure,

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2008 - 01:51:18 PM »
Sure sounds like a lot of work to put into a system that is only going to save a few horses over a stock unit, may not necessarily save any weight, will add greatly to the complexity of electronics and their related potential for failure, and may not even have the oats to provide proper assist.

If you want to look different, you could always try a nascar style set up with a divorced reservoir and braided lines.

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2008 - 02:23:38 PM »
What I would really like is a rack and pinion set up with electronic power steering.  Or a manual steering box with electronic power steering.  Just my thoughts on what i would like.  This would lower weight and if the rack and pinion were made for the e-body then the steering would be more responsive and have better feel and with taking the drag off the engine increase in fuel mileage.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008 - 02:53:56 PM by 426HEMI »

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon