Author Topic: Brake upgrades from drum to 4 wheel disk.  (Read 1290 times)

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
Brake upgrades from drum to 4 wheel disk.
« on: January 01, 2008 - 08:02:25 PM »
Just wondering how many have switched to 4 wheel disk brakes on your e-body.  What are some of the problems and which is the best system to use?
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Brake upgrades from drum to 4 wheel disk.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008 - 08:40:44 PM »
The SSBC system is a good fit but they lower priced system will interfere with the rear sway bar , Willwood are more com-plicated to install & do not even seem like an upgrade from factory front discs if you have them

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008 - 08:45:53 PM »
My current car has 4 wheel drum.  Who sells the SSBC system?  The complicated part does not bother me I have been in the automotive business for over 30 years and I have been ASE certified master since 1975.  Gordon
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008 - 10:32:26 PM »
SSBC is  Stainless Steel Brake Co  www.ssbrakes.com
 the Willwood seem to be a lighter system which is good for racing but not street
 Bear just repackages Australian made parts
 I haven`t used Master Power

Offline bob dog

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008 - 11:47:58 PM »
i am just finishing master power manual 4 disc they were a pain in the ass the fronts no problem the rears needed a lot of work just dont seem to be very well thought out i had 1 axle had to replace put brakes on to find it was bent slightly never new it with drum breaks installed rear caliper brackets the bolts were so close to the roter for comfort for me called tech they called back 3 days latter they said grind the head on bolts the bolts hold everything together did not do that took roters to machine shop to have inside cut down now they clear ok the first axle i had the new bearings on so i was out bearings now then find out i need 3in studs to bolt rims on take it apart to have studs pressed in E brake cables they include dont no what they fit made stock cables work need to bleed brakes hope they dont fly apart

Offline backtobasics

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008 - 01:09:19 PM »
I am going to throw out www.scarebird.com

They sell the brackets, that allow the components(Rotors, Calipers, Hoses) to be bought locally (parts store stuff), and you can convert to 4wd for about 600-700 bucks, ALL 4 CORNERS.  They tell you the components you need, and the bonus is it is all available at the local parts store.   

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008 - 01:18:01 PM »
Scarebird is a great way to do it

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008 - 07:22:47 PM »
Scarebird is a great way to do it

That looks like it might work pretty good.  Still thinking and considering what system to use.  I would like to have a power system on it also so that might be a consideration.

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon