Author Topic: Quadra Shocks  (Read 3126 times)

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
Quadra Shocks
« on: January 03, 2008 - 11:22:28 PM »
I was leaning towards Caltracs for my 72 Cuda, and someone suggested Quadra Shocks instead. Anyone have any experience with Quadrashocks?
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
Re: Quadra Shocks
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008 - 09:26:27 PM »
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008 - 03:22:27 AM »
I have not been overly imressed with the Caltrc system , my friends 440 duster ran 1.82 second 60' time before & after adding them
 I think a set of SS springs with the front section clamped with a bolt together clamp is as good or better

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008 - 01:29:24 PM »
I have not been overly imressed with the Caltrc system , my friends 440 duster ran 1.82 second 60' time before & after adding them
 I think a set of SS springs with the front section clamped with a bolt together clamp is as good or better

Heard anything about this Quadrashock thing. I'm getting new rear leafs and am trying to decide how to manage wheel hop. I just drive on the steet.

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008 - 07:20:58 PM »
Heard anything about this Quadrashock thing. I'm getting new rear leafs and am trying to decide how to manage wheel hop. I just drive on the steet.

Are you running a correctly set up pinion snubber?    :dunno:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008 - 11:30:40 PM »

Are you running a correctly set up pinion snubber?    :dunno:   

Yah, about 1/2 inch from floor pan while car is stationary. But have been getting feedback that the pinion snubber is not the way to go anymore. It was suggested to look into quadrashocks.

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline cowboy

• Denmark
    • CowboyCars.dk
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008 - 05:44:57 AM »
-
Explain "" quadrashocks ""   ???  Please...

I got the "Caltracks", and it works for me, go low 10....   :burnout:
MoPar's for Cruizin, Racing & Pro-touring: www.CowboyCars.dk

1930 Plymouth Hot Rod wannabe - 1957 DeSoto Fireflite Sportsman - 1967 RaceCuda  -  1968 Barracuda  -  1971 Challenger R/T Conv.

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008 - 09:12:35 AM »
I have also heard that the Super Stock springs and an adjustable pinion snubber are "not the way to go anymore", but IMHO there is no easier or less conspicuous way to make a street Mopar hook up.  There are obviously more effective ways of getting traction for your Cuda, but unless you have more time and money than most of us - or spend a fair amount of time at the strip, The good old pinion snubber SS spring combo is still pretty good.

The guys I know who ran a Quadrashock system were Mustang guys, and their suspension sometimes even came that way.  There were four shocks on the rear of a performance Mustang. A normal set and a second pair needed to reduce wheel hop because of flexing or movement of the relatively weak rear control arms.  A lot of the Mustang crowd has switched to stiffer aftermarket control arms which let them do away with the second set of shock all together.
That being said, ther might be a "trick" quadrashock rear suspension setup that gets your Mopar great traction, and I just don't know about it.  If that is the case, please fill me in.
** Shane **

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008 - 02:35:57 PM »
Seeing that SS springs have been used on the fastest stock/super stock eliminator cars in the country running 9-10 second elapsed times @ 130-150 mph would mean that these systems are working great on cars putting over 700 horses to the ground and have been doing so for around 40 years, it is really hard to improve upon that type of performance.

Also, if your super stock spring set up is working properly, you don't need a pinion snubber. The whole principle of the SS spring is that it creates body seperation. So if the springs are working properly, the body levers itself up, rendering the snubber ineffective. Snubbers are only necessary on street cars using stock style spring packs that may also see racing type launches.

The quad shock set up is sold as the Ground Pounder by Just Suspension. It is actually a second set of shocks that mount over and almost parallel to the leaf spring. The whole idea is that is absorbs and eliminates the wrap up of the springs. The reality is that it is a band aid fix for a problem of weak springs or incorrect spring rates and all it is doing is dampening the movement and it is not eliminating it. It is, after all, a "shock absorber" that is just mounted in a different axis. Just like regularly mounted shocks don't stop movement but dampen them, so do the quad shock addition. Unless you have your combo together and know you have a spring problem, there really is no need to add extra parts, weight, and cost to an already decent system. Get better springs and fix the problem for good.

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008 - 04:31:49 PM »
Seeing that SS springs have been used on the fastest stock/super stock eliminator cars in the country running 9-10 second elapsed times @ 130-150 mph would mean that these systems are working great on cars putting over 700 horses to the ground and have been doing so for around 40 years, it is really hard to improve upon that type of performance.

Also, if your super stock spring set up is working properly, you don't need a pinion snubber. The whole principle of the SS spring is that it creates body seperation. So if the springs are working properly, the body levers itself up, rendering the snubber ineffective. Snubbers are only necessary on street cars using stock style spring packs that may also see racing type launches.

The quad shock set up is sold as the Ground Pounder by Just Suspension. It is actually a second set of shocks that mount over and almost parallel to the leaf spring. The whole idea is that is absorbs and eliminates the wrap up of the springs. The reality is that it is a band aid fix for a problem of weak springs or incorrect spring rates and all it is doing is dampening the movement and it is not eliminating it. It is, after all, a "shock absorber" that is just mounted in a different axis. Just like regularly mounted shocks don't stop movement but dampen them, so do the quad shock addition. Unless you have your combo together and know you have a spring problem, there really is no need to add extra parts, weight, and cost to an already decent system. Get better springs and fix the problem for good.

Rick Ehrenberg is a pretty smart guy:
http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/quest/OUT_TO_LAUNCH.html

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008 - 05:39:55 PM »
Rick Ehrenberg is a pretty smart guy:
http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/quest/OUT_TO_LAUNCH.html

Sorta.  He is pretty smart about a lot of things, but it isn't at the top of the game on suspensions. I've had it out with Rick over his interpretation of suspension geometry many times. His best answer is always "if it was a good idea, the factory would have done", which doesn't always apply to performance applications. Ironically, in this situation the factory developed set up is primo, and he is recommending unnecessary changes. If his answer was spot on, then there wouldn't be a SS sprung stocker holding a national record anywhere. There have been numerous NHRA record holders on SS springs. Once again, there are numerous SS sprung cars racing at speeds and times far exceeding his recommendations, every weekend at tracks across the country. Cal-tracs and quad shocks are not required with a properly set up SS spring pack and shock combo. So unless your faster than 10 seconds or 130mph in the quarter, or are putting down more than 700 horses, your still in the game. However, its your coin and your car, so if you want to bolt on the latest go fast fad part, your welcome to it. You asked for opinions, I'm just sharing.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008 - 06:01:04 PM by HP2 »

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008 - 07:03:35 PM »
Sorta.  He is pretty smart about a lot of things, but it isn't at the top of the game on suspensions. I've had it out with Rick over his interpretation of suspension geometry many times. His best answer is always "if it was a good idea, the factory would have done", which doesn't always apply to performance applications. Ironically, in this situation the factory developed set up is primo, and he is recommending unnecessary changes. If his answer was spot on, then there wouldn't be a SS sprung stocker holding a national record anywhere. There have been numerous NHRA record holders on SS springs. Once again, there are numerous SS sprung cars racing at speeds and times far exceeding his recommendations, every weekend at tracks across the country. Cal-tracs and quad shocks are not required with a properly set up SS spring pack and shock combo. So unless your faster than 10 seconds or 130mph in the quarter, or are putting down more than 700 horses, your still in the game. However, its your coin and your car, so if you want to bolt on the latest go fast fad part, your welcome to it. You asked for opinions, I'm just sharing.

Thanks for the info.

2011 Kawasaki Z1000