Author Topic: Large Street Tire Help Needed  (Read 5064 times)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Large Street Tire Help Needed
« on: January 04, 2008 - 05:23:26 PM »

Hey lads,

I'm looking for tire sizes of either: 315, 325, 345 maybe larger depending on how big street tires go lol. So far I've found some Pirelli's that are 345/35/15 and Bridgestone of the same size. I'd only go as big as a 16/17" rim to accommodate bigger meats. I've looked at Hoosier but in all reality they're just not going to cut safe road driving, especially around corners and highway driving. The note on the Hoosier website says none of Hoosier's tires are safe for public road use. :sly:

Any help on performance tires is much appreciated. Would prefer RWL but you can't win them all. I know the tires on Dons beast are bigger than what I'm looking for but still, I had to post it, it's an awesome photo lol. Anyhow, I want to get the best traction possible while still maintaining street-ability and safety. The larger you go the more bunny hop type action the tire gives while taking corners too. So, I want big but not BIG.

Thanks,
Carlwalski
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008 - 05:25:14 PM by Carlwalski »
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Large Street Tire Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008 - 05:46:57 PM »

Think I just answered my own question. Just looking at Summit and came across BFGoodrich g-Force Radial T/A drag tires. They seem to good to be true. 345/55R15 with an overall height of 29.8" so it's even higher than the 275/60s! I was getting worried at the 345/35s were a bum sagging 25.4"!?  :sly: :-\ Recommended rim width for the BFG is 10" which I have on both Rallye and Cop wheel styles. They're made for the street too and I quote "with full streetability". I'm very happy.  ;) Hope this helps anyone who searches.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2008 - 05:48:33 PM by Carlwalski »

nivvy

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008 - 09:09:14 PM »
That tire has a 14.6 section width... how r u gonna get that in a stock 14" wheel tub ???

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008 - 12:11:47 AM »

XV Level 2 Rear Suspension Kit
Mild Customer Frame Work (if needed).

nivvy

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008 - 12:16:44 AM »
But the wheel tub still needs opened up ???

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008 - 12:22:06 AM »

Email from Scott an XV. I know they can do 335s with no custom body work.
Not sure what's hard to understand about custom tub work, albeit very minimum.

You can avoid installing minitubs and still enjoy large tires with the Level II Rear setup. The Trailing Arms are installed using your stock front leaf spring mount points. The rear mount is a bracket welded to your diff. The Trailing Arm has a spacer on either side of the mount, which centers the Arm in between the mount points. What we have discovered is that we can move the Arm more inboard by using both spacers on the outside mount. What this does is move the Arm more inboard, away from the wheel/tire.

The end result is there is more room for large tires. But there is a "catch". We do a "rolled-fender-treatment" on all of our XV Supercar builds. What we do is elimninate the wide fender flange of the wheel opening, then weld in a steel rod bent to shape of the wheel opening. The rod provides structural strength to the now more narrow fender lip. When this procedure is done we can fit "monster" tires on the rear of the E-Bodies. Our recently completed Blue 1971 Challenger XV Supercar sports 335/30/18 tires without any tire rub issues. The Level II Rear has very little lateral, side to side movement, unlike traditional leaf springs so the wheels have less tendacy to shift around in the wheel well. Some extra work is involved with the fender treatment but it surely offsets the time & cost of doing minitubs.

nivvy

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008 - 12:30:06 AM »
 just my  :2cents: but 30 series tires are useless on the HP you will be putting out and I rolled my fenders a little as well and get 28*13.5*15's in there and probably a special set of 28*14.5*15's which I know of........

From personall experiense tires like that when you hit the gas your a.s.s. end will blow sideways on your real easy.... and you are in the same hP range as me... you will b dissapointed....  :2cents:

Even with the slightest throttle it sucks....  :burnout: I got sick of it quik..........................................  :working:

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008 - 12:33:11 AM »

Thanks for the info. :thumbsup: That's what XV run (30 series). I'll be running 345/55R15 BFGs (29.8")

nivvy

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008 - 12:41:13 AM »
Like I said the tires you want are 55 series and 14.6 section width in a 14" tub... let us know how you make out............  :2thumbs:

good luck carl
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008 - 12:49:06 AM by StRoKer »

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008 - 12:48:12 AM »

Thanks, I myself have no idea but I know it can be done. The shop will be doing it.  :cheers:

nivvy

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008 - 12:52:17 AM »
What thy will do is notch your frame put in the 3" relo kit and cut a 1" or so width strip of metal and cut your tub down the middle and open it up and weld the strip inbetween the factory tubs that are split open and make it wider.... me and my buddy have done it and it looks smooth and a factory "apperaring" tub.... to match your stealth" theme....  :2thumbs:

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008 - 01:07:42 AM »

Good info, thanks Jason, that is the way I think we will go then. I really, really, didn't want to go larger than the "stock" image. I like my cars to remain factory appearing upon first view. But, with over 630hp you know yourself, 275s and 295s just won't cut it. However, I know that bigger won't mean instant traction but it sure will help especially with XVs LV2 rear kit, no springs etc. Only problem I foresee is when I do dump the clutch and it does bite it will therefore put stress on the trans and driveline, not good. As you know, traction is the drivelines friend.

As for the tires. They are black wall, no RWL. They do however being BFG have the raised font but in black. Do people paint of something the letters white? Can it be done, something that may last, say, 6 months before needing it again? Just, I want cop rims and also rallye rims but cop rims without RWL looks too bare, if that makes sense.

Cheers,
Carl

:cheers:

nivvy

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008 - 01:10:12 AM »
MY ET Streets have under 400 miles on them and the white is fading pretty good...

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008 - 01:12:43 AM »

Did you spray/paint them yourself? If so, what did you use? :dunno:
Heard of any tricks to making them last and applying white to the raised black rubber font?

nivvy

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008 - 01:20:57 AM »
alot of guys I know of use white shoe polish paint and "repaint" them that way cause it like a bigpaint pen and easy to detail the letters that way...