smoothe rear valance?

Author Topic: smoothe rear valance?  (Read 9774 times)

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
Re: smoothe rear valance?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008 - 04:42:28 PM »
   :scared:whatever you do, don`t put any heat in your springs,for they WILL take you by surprise one day :eek4:
If you want to roll a new eye they first have to be softened by glowing in a furnace ( have that done by someone who knows what he`s doing, if this is not done properly they will break rolling the new eye...) and after rolling they have to be hardened again.
*** Bart ***

Offline R71CUDA

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008 - 04:50:06 PM »
The 71 Cuda I purchased from Northern California has the front and rear valance smoothed in at the joints.  I am trying to decide if I should remove it put it back to original being it’s a 75K mile numbers matching car.  Also, being that the car is now in Minnesota, I do not know if it will crack.  I had a 69 Firebird convertible I had this done on and they both cracked over the first winter (unheated garage). :dunno:
71 Cuda
2003 PT Cruiser - Ghost Flamed GT Turbo

Offline Confederate Cuda

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008 - 05:44:02 PM »
I would not keep the seams welded to the Qtrs. as I am sure they will crack over time with stress. When I was talking about having mine smotth it was just the bumperettes and not at the seam. It looks great to have the seams wleded but is not very usable.  :2cents:

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008 - 06:31:46 PM »
agreed - thats what I am after as well. Sooner or later you will need to remove the valance for SOMETHING and you will be up SC without a paddle.    :working:
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008 - 06:56:43 PM »
The 71 Cuda I purchased from Northern California has the front and rear valance smoothed in at the joints.  I am trying to decide if I should remove it put it back to original being it’s a 75K mile numbers matching car.  Also, being that the car is now in Minnesota, I do not know if it will crack.  I had a 69 Firebird convertible I had this done on and they both cracked over the first winter (unheated garage). :dunno:

Our seams were filled, also, before we got the car, and they have cracked.  Fortunately I am replacing the rear valence with a new one with the exhaust cutouts, so it's not an issue.  The problem is, how do you change it back to having the seams without having to repaint the whole rear area if you're not currently planning on changing the valence?

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008 - 06:38:16 PM »
I asked DrDiff about this and he suggested split-leaf mono springs. Any one tried these? They are a two piece spring made by Calvert Racing. They bolt together and can be custom made to your length/weight requirements.   

http://www.calvertracing.com/lspring/leafspring.htm

72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008 - 06:41:14 PM »
I asked DrDiff about this and he suggested split-leaf mono springs. Any one tried these? They are a two piece spring made by Calvert Racing. They bolt together and can be custom made to your length/weight requirements.   

http://www.calvertracing.com/lspring/leafspring.htm

A buddy of mine has a mono on his Vette, but I don't know about an E-Body.  :clueless:  Haven't seen that yet.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008 - 06:55:20 PM »
The problem is, how do you change it back to having the seams without having to repaint the whole rear area if you're not currently planning on changing the valence?

I would try locating the seam, and layout a tape line. Then carefully come in with a thin disc (and a VERY steady hand) and cut a groove thru the bondo. Do this on both sides, and CAREFULLY pull the valance. Grap some ultra fine sandpaper and put a mild chafer on the valance and quarter panel edge and touch it up if necessary.

Definitely easier said than done  :-\

72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2008 - 07:09:13 PM »
A buddy of mine has a mono on his Vette, but I don't know about an E-Body.    Haven't seen that yet.

Yeah, I was hoping to do something on the cheap but I really think I am playing with fire here using shorter springs, single leaf, etc. I'm already in deep enough trying to cram the 315's in and hoping nothing will rub.    :pullinghair:
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2008 - 02:40:29 PM »
Mono leaf will also require Calvert links to prevent axle wind up. Real popular set up with drag racers.

It has been a few years since I've worked on a Cuda, so I forget how tight they are in back. You could always set the stock spring into location to see haw far back it actually reaches. If you have at least three inches of aft movement and a frame rail above the spring, the sliders may work for you, plus drop your ride height an inch in the process.

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2010 - 11:55:48 AM »
very nice rear valance up top. Wish I could "experiment" a little with mine since I love the look, but have no metal fabricating experience.
But since the stock valance comes out with about 6 nuts/bolts, and then swapping the stainless exhaust tips for something custom, I could change the character of the car in 15 minutes for a more modern look when I feel like it, just for fun.
Is that called frenching when you cut out the entire area over and around the exhaust tip, and maybe add a couple other matching cutouts along side for an "aerodynamic" look. I've seen that on many exotic rear valances, and I think somewhere on a cuda too.
Oh yeah...the 208 mph supercuda.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010 - 12:07:58 PM by tommyg29 »
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline AZDAN

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2010 - 10:23:08 PM »
I ordered my Calvert rear springs with the rear segment shorter and will use the sliders to mount the rear spring. My car is along way from being done so I can not say how well it works but it should. I still have to smooth out the extra rear valance panel I have, along with the rest of the body work and paint. I have the slider mounted on one side. I'm also using the Dr.Diff  front spring mount relocation kit to move the springs in another 1". That is the plan I have going.

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2010 - 12:25:51 AM »
On my 71 barracuda street/strip car I used the dr diff offset hangers, super stock springs and a b-body rear end that's been stiffened. I believe that I can go as big as a P305 tire now. And, the car launches great.
Don't know if that would give any more clearance for smoothing the valance, but I'll take a look and see if it will.
1971 Cuda, Tor-red, Bench seat
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1973 Cuda Clone, EFI/OD Limelight
1970 Superbird (Yes, it's real) Black Ice
1971 Barracuda Sassy Grass Green (sold)
1970 Challenger RT SE 383 Plum Crazy
1969 Road Runner Hardtop
1968 Road Runner Coupe (sold)

www.maniacmusclecars.com

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2010 - 10:59:59 AM »
So did you do this? I am ready to proceed with this and I think my clearance will be ok. Any tips on how to do this? I could see starting this by making relief cuts and reshaping the metal around the bumper bullet bulges, then add metal and tack back together.

Or simply cutout the bulged area and form up new section and splice in. Am interested to see who has done this. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010 - 09:23:51 PM by miketyler »
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline 340SIX

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2010 - 06:14:06 PM »
Here is Dad's
Goodie the picture no longer works