Author Topic: Looking to completely replace stock suspension for lowered agressive look  (Read 3858 times)

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
I want to replace upper,lower control arms,spindles,possibly k member,rack and pinion set up ,probably 4 link on the rear,so I was wondering who makes theese parts,is there a coil-over set up avaliable for E body?
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline HP2

• Resident
Newbie indeed.

What are your cost, ride, handling, performance objectives and are those limited within the confines of any sanctioning bodies rule sets?

Then go here and read this.
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3922429&page=0&fpart=1&vc=

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
that's alot of great info there,I think I may have found what I'm looking for, I'd have to read thru the whole thread,and figure out who to contact,Thanks HP2 :2thumbs:
Stefan B

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
the front suspension on a E body is very adjustable as is & can be made to handle in the 1 g range , you may be overthinking the front suspension system , new control arms with stiffer T bars & a firm feel steering box & some big sway bars will make the front end work well

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
If you are wanting coil overs then why did you not get a Chevy?
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
If you are wanting coil overs then why did you not get a Chevy?

because I like Cudas and Challangers, and what do coil-overs have to do with Chevy? trhey can be installed on just about anything that has wheels, I may go with air struts, should I have bought a Chevy for them too? :roflsmiley:
Stefan B

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
because I like Cudas and Challangers, and what do coil-overs have to do with Chevy? trhey can be installed on just about anything that has wheels, I may go with air struts, should I have bought a Chevy for them too? :roflsmiley:

I am a purist.  I love the suspension on the Cuda's and Challengers.  I may make some changes but I will not go to that extent.  If you want air struts then go with a Ford.  I agree that coil overs can come on most anything and they do on most rice burners also.  Just don't like to see these cars changed that much for the next guy that wants one.  I say restore and not destory them.
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
Hey man, as someone looking to eventually break into the aftermarket/custom industry, I say do whatever you want, and if you'd like to employ my services, I'll start at $40 an hour.  :)

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006

I am a purist.  I love the suspension on the Cuda's and Challengers.  I may make some changes but I will not go to that extent.  If you want air struts then go with a Ford.  I agree that coil overs can come on most anything and they do on most rice burners also.  Just don't like to see these cars changed that much for the next guy that wants one.  I say restore and not destory them.
How is installing coil overs or air ride destroying the car? A lot of these kits now a days are bolt in or if wanted to go back stock require little modification. It's not like he is planning on installing a tube chassis and turning it into a certified 7 second drag car. I say it's your car and enjoy it.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
If it is bolt on so be it.  I may do some of that myself.  I will keep all parts that I take off for someone to be able to put it back if they want to.  All I am saying is not to chop it or modify it so it would be really hard to put back original.  I agree it is his car but it may not always be.  There are some modifications that were done on my car that I would not have ever done and I will have to put them back to original when I restore it.  I will be doing some things to my car as for as brakes and steering. But I will not chop it to where it could not be put back if wanted.  My son may want it some day or my daughter.  Well put it this way they already want it.

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline HP2

• Resident
Re: Looking to completely replace stock suspension for lowered agressive look
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008 - 01:50:19 PM »
426, you may be using coil springs and coil overs interchangeably. They are two seperate set ups. Coil springs are also usedon coil over, hence the term, but are packaed in such a way that they can be added using kits that are close to being bolt in projects.

As far as handling goes, they are in voge now, and the idea is so subjective, whatever somebody wants is not necessarily right or wrong. The fact that vintage TA racers are using stock style parts and pulling corners at speeds far and above what most of us will ever drive at, even on a road course, is proof enough that the factory set up works and works well.

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008 - 02:04:47 PM »
I have been in the automotive field all of my life.  I know the difference in coils and coil overs.  I also know that these cars did not come with either.  I understand wanting a better ride and handling.  I want my car to handle the best it can also.  I will not change to coil spring setup or the coil overs on my car.  All I am saying is not to modify the car to where it can not be put back.  If they want to put those on there cars just keep in mind that they may not be always the owner of the car.  When I get my car built and restored it will never go anywhere except in the family.  I am not a novic in the automoitive field or a newbee on here.  I would also bet that I have owned more e-bodies than most on here and have restored or drove more. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008 - 02:19:43 PM by 426HEMI »

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008 - 08:13:49 PM »
The only bad thing about that is when they build them and then play for a little while they get tired of them and then get rid of them and spoil a great car.  If they want to do that to a car get one of the either a rusted out one or something like that to do that to.

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008 - 10:26:15 PM »
guys, I know what you all are saying, I would agree with you if I had a rare numbers matching big block HEMI,but since my car started out with 318 from the factory, I will not be restoring in to factory specs or restoring it period, this will be something new ,I respect guys who keep their cars stock and try to get point at shows,but I plan on driving the piss out of it every day,well maybe not really hard, but it will be my daily driver if the weather permits,I like my cars to look clean,mean and definitely different , no ghettofabulous junk.

I don't want to stirrup any trouble,I'm very new to Mopars or any domestic muscle cars,I did however owned a few of them ,but was young and stupid and didn't know what I had, one of them was 1970 AMC AMX Javelin Bullseye Edition 390 4spd all original with 30k original miles ,no rust,it was stored since 78 till early 90s,bought it for $600 and  sold it few years later for $200,lol.
second was 1964 Chevy Impala SS ,327 with 2spd powerglide,matching numbers all original,only rust was in the trunk floor, bought it for $1400 and drove it home,few years later rebuilt the motor,cleaned up the frame, sold it for $3500,since I didn't have a place to keep them out of the weather.

last few years I've been heavy in Toyota Supras, still own 7 of them, they are a true late model import muscle,I'm sure some of you have seen them at the track,they are fun cars,but since I was teenager I always wanted a 70-74 Cuda,because there is no other car that has those stout bodylines,low roofline,so I broke down and bought a 71 Cuda and want to build a bad ass street car for myself,something I can enjoy and drive it everyday instead of hiding it in some fancy climate controled storage. btw, I'm not a kid or some old fart, no offence to anyone,I'm 34 years old, I own a custom body and paint shop and very anal about details, 

Stefan B

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008 - 10:33:51 PM »
Thats good,  You will have to keep us posted on what you do.  I guess I am anal with these cars because i have been around them most all my life.  They are my passion and I love to see one that is in pretty much original condition.  I will be doing some changes to mine also so I know what you are talking about.  I will be keeping the original parts though so I can put it back or someone else can if they ever get it.

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon