Author Topic: New Mopar crate engines  (Read 991 times)

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
New Mopar crate engines
« on: January 09, 2008 - 06:14:29 AM »
I just read an article a few days ago in Mopar Action and essentially it boils down to Ray Barton signing up to turn the Mopar crate hemi reputation around. From what the article says Ray Bartons shop will be involved in every facet of building every new crate hemi for Mopar Performance. I dont know what that will do to the prices but it surely will end all of the problems associated with quality control.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: New Mopar crate engines
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008 - 06:43:23 AM »

That does sound good indeed. The only problem I can foresee is the amount of builds they'll have to be doing will mean more workers. With more workers may come problems. If Ray and his 12 best builders did them, fine, but who knows who will be building them under "Ray Bartons" name. However, I'm pretty sure Rays quality control will be twice that of Chrysler. Which ever way you slice it it's got to be than the present engines and failures.  :2cents:

:wave:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline moper

• Resident
Re: New Mopar crate engines
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008 - 12:26:24 PM »
The problem was caused by MP. The parts spec'd for the Hemis were 50% junk, and the original race guy building them returned all the bad stuff. This frustrated MP, and they switched to Cummins, who strangely enough didnt return parts, and gave the crate Hemis their well deserved reputation of iffy quality. Id ray's using HIS parts, that will help. If he's stuck using what MP supplies, he will end up returning a bunch too. So it's good, but it may not last for the same reasons. MP needs to lose the low bidder mentality and chuck the college graduates from managers positions, and put some bare old common sense back on their employee list. I've said it a bunch of times. Sell me good parts. I'll pay whatever you are asking, but they have to be good parts. I dont use much MP now. Starters(rebadged assembly line part), crankshafts, oil pump drives, distributors.. That's about it really.