Author Topic: I HAD A GREAT IDEA!!  (Read 4810 times)

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
I HAD A GREAT IDEA!!
« on: January 09, 2008 - 02:55:17 PM »
Hey - okay, not to steal any thunder from Mike's post about suggestions, but the traffic died down on that one so I figured I'd start a new one.

I had a GREAT idea - at least I think it was a great idea - about the car show.

Okay - follow me!

We'll start a thread called "Carlisle Parts Wanted" in which members who are (definitely) attending the show can post a list of parts they are interested in or trying to find while there.

A day or so before the show, I'll compile the list into an Excel sheet with the members name, brief description of car (like "'72 Ebod Cuda") and then a list of their parts they're looking for, and their cell phone number.

My IDEA comes from the fact that at the show last year, I was looking for some heater ducting for under the dash, and was just blown away at the size of the show, and I felt like I was searching for a needle in a haystack.  Topcat thought he had seen one, but couldn't remember exactly where, and I couldn't find it.  So my thought is that if I print out a list for everyone in attendance, if they happen to FIND any of the parts while they're wandering, they can call the member to tell them where they are.

I'd suggest keeping the list to a reasonable size - maybe five "critical" or "needle in haystack" parts, but I wasn't going to make a limit.  I'll handle organizing the information and printing the lists, and will have them available Friday morning.  Of course if you don't want to get involved, you don't have to take a list.

What does everyone think?  The only suggestion is that if you DO take a list, DON'T LOSE IT, as it will have phone numbers listed on it.

If I get some positive feedback, I'll start the parts-wanted list.

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: I HAD A GREAT IDEA!!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008 - 05:07:10 PM »
Jeff,

Nice idea since I like looking at the stuff for sale, but I'm not really in the market for anything special, so I'd look for other people. It's amazing, but over the years it's become pretty easy for me to spot E-Body parts. Maybe my big nose helps.  :grinyes: The problem is, if you walk away from the spot, you hardly ever find the seller again. That makes the cell phone thing a nice addition. Hey, I'm game.  :thumbsup:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008 - 05:09:18 PM »
GPS?  ???   :dunno:

:roflsmiley:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008 - 05:12:46 PM »
GPS?  ???   :dunno:

:roflsmiley:

You are WAY too high-tech for me.  :lol:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008 - 05:43:22 PM »
Do you still need that piece for under your dash??   :clueless:

Offline AprilsPink72Cuda

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
  • 1972 'Cuda 340/Wappingers Falls, NY
    • Klondike's Website (Check it out!)
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008 - 05:48:08 PM »
All of the vendor spots are also marked by a number (and letter) such as B-12, etc.  If people were worried about cell #s or if they don't have a cell phone, we can always write down the Vendor's spot on the spreadsheet when we see the part in question.  Great idea 20 Minutes!

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008 - 06:25:45 PM »
Do you still need that piece for under your dash??   :clueless:

Actually yes.  From what I understand, there are three ducting pieces from the airbox - one that pipes to the driver's side for the floor and far-left vent, one that runs to the vents in the dash towards the passenger side, and then one that goes to the defroster vents.

I got one piece of ebay which I'm almost certain is the defroster vents (the guy was vague in the description, but the price was good.)  The outlets on the piece are slightly curved, which I first thought to be warping.  But the openings are also much thinner than the vents in the dash, and I suddenly realized that the curves are right with the curve of the windshield.  I haven't actually gotten to go out and fit it up - too frickin' cold.

So I still need the two pieces that go to the vents.  I'll be looking at Carlisle, though I know how the pricing can run there.  The ebay stuff usually isn't too terribly bad.

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008 - 07:18:40 PM »
All of the vendor spots are also marked by a number (and letter) such as B-12, etc.  If people were worried about cell #s or if they don't have a cell phone, we can always write down the Vendor's spot on the spreadsheet when we see the part in question.  Great idea 20 Minutes!

Vendor spots have numbers?? Why didn't you tune me in years ago?  :poopoke: Are the numbers visible enough for a Dufus like me?  :dunno:

Don't answer that.  :misbehaving:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

nivvy

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008 - 08:00:01 PM »
scavenger hunt .......  :screwy:

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008 - 11:31:40 PM »
So I still need the two pieces that go to the vents.  I'll be looking at Carlisle, though I know how the pricing can run there.  The ebay stuff usually isn't too terribly bad.

Jeff

I probably have what you need.  When you can't find it at Carlisle, I'll bring them with me and charge you double. lol  Nice guy yeh!  Send me a pic of what you need and I'll look around.  Let me know!   :thumbsup:

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008 - 12:06:43 AM »
The Carlisle vender numbers are similar to property corner markers. Look at each vendor "plot" for numbers.

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008 - 12:57:29 AM »
I have never been to Carlisle, but that idea of making a list and calling a member about a needed part sounds like a very good idea.  Planning ahead now will pay off later for a sucessful show.    :clapping:  Way to go Jeff!
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008 - 02:54:14 AM »
Awesome Idea Jeff :2thumbs:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline moparchuck

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008 - 07:15:13 AM »
Vendor spots have numbers?? Why didn't you tune me in years ago?  :poopoke: Are the numbers visible enough for a Dufus like me?  :dunno:

Don't answer that.  :misbehaving:

They've had round number plates nailed into the ground for several years. It has the spot number with an arrow pointing to the spot. The only problem is that many of the plates have worn out. The good news is that Carlisle has been replacing them since October with square plates IIRC. I'll email Ed and have him post an update.

Chuck
www.moparrebellion.com <--- coming soon: info on the 2008 Kick-Off to Carlisle!

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008 - 12:05:13 PM »
That is a great idea!  We did something similar in '04 when I was parts searching, but we weren't using cell phones (don't even think I had mine at that point).  Are general consensus was that if the price was right and the part was in good condition, we'd purchase it and be reimbursed later.  Doing it with a cell phone will be much more civilized and we'll know exactly what fellow members need based on what's written in front of you (instead of trying to remember off the top of your head).
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin