70 Challenger R/T

Author Topic: 70 Challenger R/T  (Read 6760 times)

Offline moparsupremist

• I'm a llama!
Re: 70 Challenger R/T
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2008 - 03:34:03 AM »
NO such thing as a 70 challenger 440, 4spd, with a/c first off.  And again, no 4spd U code challenger had an 8 3/4.....dana only.  Tag is a fake, easily recognizeable, and if you cant figure it out, probably not informed enough to pay 25k for a car.  No numbers, makes the car a clone ,and worth a clone price.  Probably worth high teens for someone who doesnt care about originality.  Always will hurt resale though and have a cloud around it.

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2008 - 08:58:55 AM »
NO such thing as a 70 challenger 440, 4spd, with a/c first off.  And again, no 4spd U code challenger had an 8 3/4.....dana only.  Tag is a fake, easily recognizeable, and if you cant figure it out, probably not informed enough to pay 25k for a car.  No numbers, makes the car a clone ,and worth a clone price.  Probably worth high teens for someone who doesnt care about originality.  Always will hurt resale though and have a cloud around it.

If it's a clean car, which it appears to be, and it had the original VIN still on it, it's probably worth the 25K easy. The problem here is the vin seems to have been swapped at some point, so that makes it problematic.

Offline CHUCKS71

• "IF YOUR NOT FIRST YOUR LAST"
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2008 - 09:26:11 AM »
 :popcorn:
:burnout::22yikes::burnout:    www.ronpaul2008.com
71 Challenger 4spd   www.conservativepunk.com
03 Ram diesel 6spd    http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/chucknutz/1971%20Challenger/

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2008 - 09:52:52 AM »
If it's a clean car, which it appears to be, and it had the original VIN still on it, it's probably worth the 25K easy. The problem here is the vin seems to have been swapped at some point, so that makes it problematic.

Vin swap,  fake tag and no matching body stampings...great looking car and still probably worth the 25K to the right person, but hard to prove its a real JS23U0B 4spd car.   :dunno:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2008 - 01:04:38 PM »
I've seen a couple of '72-'74s that were converted to look like '70s that were otherwise spot-on, but they (presumably) forgot about the steering wheel.  My question is, with that steering wheel, are we sure it's a '70?

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline moparsupremist

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2008 - 01:11:25 PM »
Exactly  what badfish said...because everytime the car is sold, somebody will have to explain all of this, and then you will have to find someone who doesnt care, once again.  Most people spending 25k on a car, is going to care.  Honestly, I think Id rather buy a 318 car, with correct vin, and matching body numbers, with a transplant 440 and 4spd.  I bet you would sell the car in a heartbeat as a clone for 22k-25k easily.  Most people are reluctant because of the cloud.  But you will sell the car , because someone will see dollar signs and try to pass the car on as a real deal.  A chevy guy looking to invest his money, and doesnt know a thing about challengers, will buy the car, and be in the same situation, but probably have more money invested.  Its a vicious cycle.  So important to check out everything these days.  So much info on the internet these days, to make an informed decision.  Also, you have so many forums, so if your lazy, you can just ask someone here or another mopar web site.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2008 - 05:48:39 PM »
I did notice the flat seats too. It's what happens when you put 70 covers on 72-74 foam. Also the dash is a late model one.  I bet it has a late model proportioning valve on it too.   Perhaps the seller should do sme scraping and get some real numbers off of the cowl.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2008 - 06:22:26 PM »
I did notice the flat seats too. It's what happens when you put 70 covers on 72-74 foam. Also the dash is a late model one.  I bet it has a late model proportioning valve on it too.   Perhaps the seller should do sme scraping and get some real numbers off of the cowl.

I hadn't noticed the seat issue.  I believe we're looking at a faked and re-bodied '72-'74.  Lots of explaining to do.

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline old-school

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2008 - 08:16:03 AM »
Just read this thread for the first time and i have to say, my rearend is hurting from this spanking :roflsmiley:

Offline 70challengerrt

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2008 - 07:04:04 PM »
After finally talking to the guy who had the car before me I got the scoop. He claims that he told me the fender tag was for show only, which I don't recall maybe he coughed at the same time. Anyway he changed the tranny code on the tag to match the car. So it was a auto originally. I sanded down the cowl and rad support and they match the vin. I also have the real fender tag although in very rough shape. By the way thanks Barry for the info on fines and consequence, I used it to get the real tag which he wanted to keep unless I was willing to buy it from him. It was pretty funnny; he was a lot more willing to talk after he was told its against the law to remove it. So I am sure the Dana was added at some time too. The reason the seats are flat is because the frames and foam are from a 71 or 72. As you can guess the local salvage yard has a couple of 71-74 challengers and a couple of barracudas. Thanks to everyone who didn't jump to conclusions and start bashing just for the sake of bashing!

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2008 - 08:19:50 PM »
I'm glad you got it straightened out. The more original stuff you have the better.  So what was the true VIN. Is it a real 70 car?    I'll trade you a real '70 8-3/4 for the dana if you want a correct one  :bigsmile:

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline 70challengerrt

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2008 - 08:46:29 PM »
I already took money down on it. So its pretty much sold. The  real vin is JS23UOB****** . It sucked having to grind down the cowl and rad support and then blend it back in but I did it with the new owner standing right there, he wanted to see them also. I resprayed the whole rad support and was able to blend the cowl under the cowl weather strip and only have two small spots from the black panel on the cowl to the stainless windshield trim and to the rubber cowl seal so its hard to see unless your looking for it.

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2008 - 04:12:42 PM »
I did notice the flat seats too. It's what happens when you put 70 covers on 72-74 foam.
The seats look like 1970 seats. The seat cover will fit that way (loose on bottom) on a 1970 Cuda seat also.  The 1970 & 1971 bottom seat frames are the same for Challenger and Cuda for both years.  You could say 1 part number for all. The foam is where the difference is.  The 70 & 71 backs are different.  The 72-74 seat is completely different.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline The Bulldog #57

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2008 - 06:14:51 PM »
Exactly  what badfish said...because everytime the car is sold, somebody will have to explain all of this, and then you will have to find someone who doesnt care, once again.  Most people spending 25k on a car, is going to care.  Honestly, I think Id rather buy a 318 car, with correct vin, and matching body numbers, with a transplant 440 and 4spd.  I bet you would sell the car in a heartbeat as a clone for 22k-25k easily.  Most people are reluctant because of the cloud.  But you will sell the car , because someone will see dollar signs and try to pass the car on as a real deal.  A chevy guy looking to invest his money, and doesnt know a thing about challengers, will buy the car, and be in the same situation, but probably have more money invested.  Its a vicious cycle.  So important to check out everything these days.  So much info on the internet these days, to make an informed decision.  Also, you have so many forums, so if your lazy, you can just ask someone here or another mopar web site.

That is not really the reason we bought it, we collect MOPAR's and many other cars. We don't really base our purchases on "originality". ANd we don't buy as an investment to sell for more in a couple years. We saw it in Green Bay, looked at it and thought it would fit our collection very well. I mean we have a 1972 Dodge Challenger with a 340+6, not original at all, but one of the best we have.

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2008 - 06:20:49 PM »
That is not really the reason we bought it, we collect MOPAR's and many other cars. We don't really base our purchases on "originality". ANd we don't buy as an investment to sell for more in a couple years. We saw it in Green Bay, looked at it and thought it would fit our collection very well. I mean we have a 1972 Dodge Challenger with a 340+6, not original at all, but one of the best we have.

This car really caught my eye when it was listed here for sale. If he could have verified the cowl, rad support and vin tag earlier, I probably would have inquired about it before it sold.   :2thumbs:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005