Author Topic: Am I one of these guys? I'm going to restore it someday  (Read 22075 times)

Offline common 27

Re: Am I one of these guys? I'm going to restore it someday
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2008 - 10:46:37 AM »
   bella beeze; I love you. ... You have exactly matched my thoughts.  I have many worthless items and some very pricey antiques that belonged to my dad and my grandparents that I will never consider getting rid of . I just can't understand why somepeople think they can do something better than me with MY car.  Does the guy who buys his car already done and doesn't even change his own oil get more enjoyment from it then a guy who sloooowly works on his own?  To each his own just don't be the guy who pays someone else do do the work (which is fine to each his own) and give me crap about not doing mine. I just got an old Suzuki RM 125 running and repainted etc. that had been at the back of my building for 15 years.  so I'll just fade away now
1970  Challenger Convertible   1968 Satellite Convertible

Offline bella beeze

• "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2008 - 06:32:57 PM »
Love ya back, Buddy!!

I and my whole family have alot of worthless things (but to us they are not worthless are they?! otherwise we would not keep them!! :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: and store them!!! And man have we got storage!!

Of course that includes some very nice and stately antiques (we like variety) as well!!(a little hobby of me and my family)
I am there with you buddy. I understand you completely. No worries. You always have a friend and ally in me.

Your Friend and  Ally in Ownership Always,
Bella Beeze

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2008 - 07:20:43 PM »
   bella beeze; I love you. ... You have exactly matched my thoughts.  I have many worthless items and some very pricey antiques that belonged to my dad and my grandparents that I will never consider getting rid of . I just can't understand why somepeople think they can do something better than me with MY car.  Does the guy who buys his car already done and doesn't even change his own oil get more enjoyment from it then a guy who sloooowly works on his own?  To each his own just don't be the guy who pays someone else do do the work (which is fine to each his own) and give me crap about not doing mine. I just got an old Suzuki RM 125 running and repainted etc. that had been at the back of my building for 15 years.  so I'll just fade away now

For certain it is your car and no one can tell you what to do with it. It does not matter to me if you make a barbeque out of it....it is your car. I think the one thing that sticks out is that you are content NOT to do anything to it which goes against the grain but if you get pleasure out of it in that capacity then more power to you. It is apparent that its not going anywhere, enjoy it   :wave:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline BruteForce

• '72 Dodge Challenger 340 5spd
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2009 - 12:48:15 AM »
I bought my mopar in '87, and it's been sitting around in the garage in various stages of disassembly and disrepair ever since. I'd watch all the TV shows like Musclecar and think about getting mine back on the road. My friends and family all gave up even asking me about it anymore. They'd give pitying looks when I'd talk about it. My kids have never known it to be anything but a hulk in the garage.

But for some reason, I finally got in gear. Probably it's the people that I know who are younger than me who are dying of what I thought were old men's diseases. I wanted to have some fun with the car while I still could, and before Obama makes those old cars illegal  :( It's back on the road now, hotrodded but not restored. It's what I've always wanted to have since I was a teen, hotrodded to my specs.

I doubt I'll ever do a resto on it, as I just don't want to spend the time to take every nut and bolt off, etc. I don't care about numbers matching, or flawless paint jobs, I just want a mopar hot rod and that's exactly what I have now  :burnout:

If you're satisfied to just keep it in the garage, that's cool. But mine sitting there was more of a source of frustration to me.

BTW, this forum has been very helpful for me both for excellent technical advice and inspiration to keep working on it. I like hanging out with people who know what they're talking about.

wagesofsin

« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2009 - 11:42:29 AM »
glad to hear you got it done!!  and your way to boot!!!

Offline Purple73Cuda

« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2009 - 12:20:55 PM »
I have had my '70 road runner 440 Six Barrel since I bought it at the age of 16 (June 20th,1981). I rebuilt the engine and did some various odds and ends to the car and had the car on the road on my 18th birthday. I was not allowed to put the car on my parent's insurance. I got my own policy when I turned 18 and got it registered. I drove the car in the summers until 1986. (All this time the car sat outside in my parent's driveway. They had no garage). In '86 I spun a bearing. I pulled the engine to repair it. I had it rebuilt and I briefly considered putting it back together and selling it. As the car sat, I decided to fix, redo one part of the car at a time. The whole repair snowballed into a full blown resto. In '95 (holy smokes its been 14 years already!) I had the body restored by a professional resto shop. ( I had no garage or place to do the work myself.) The car needed a lot of rust repair. When the car was finished, the car went into my recently deceased godmother's garage until the house got sold. Luckily it took several years to clean the house out and sell it. In '99 I bought my house or as I tell everyone, I bought a 2 car garage and it came with a house. Anyway, I brought the car home after installing the redone Dana/rear suspension and the redone k member and front suspension. I did some reassembly and continued gather NOS parts. I got side tracked fixing up the house and yard. The car was safe and dry in the garage. I was happy. I had a rare matching number car sitting in my garage.
Around 2005 I decided to add a third bay onto the garage. This snowballed but I ended up with what I wanted. I had a 3 car garage with a raised roof and a new floor that was at the same height in all four bays.
Not long after starting the garage, I met a woman who later became my wife. She came with a dog, a cat and (at the time) a 10 y.o. boy and an 7 y.o. girl. We were married in 2007. After the honeymoon we had to get her house (an hours drive away) cleaned up, repaired (from years of no maintenance) and sold. That ate up every spare moment of time I had. Oh, did I mentioned that at this time (summer of 2008) my wife was pregnant? My son was born 3 weeks after we closed on her house. I also forgot to tell you that I had to transport everything the wife and kids wanted to keep down to our house. Can you say CHAOS!! Now we are starting to add a dormer and finish the previously unfinished rooms upstairs so we can give my boy his own room.
I guess the point of my story is this: Life happens. My car has not been sitting because i don't want to work on it. A lot of times there are other things that are higher in priority.
We decided to buy the 'Cuda so we had a car to cruise in. We put the whole family in it and go to cruise nights and car shows as much as our schedule will allow. Driving the 'Cuda has made me want to get the road runner completed. My wife supports me 100%. I see people my age and younger dying. I don't want to have someone else try to put the car back together.
And i would never sell my road runner. I will finish it and it will be mint and driven as often as possible.
John
'73 Cuda 340
'70 RR 440+6
'66 Charger 383

Offline BruteForce

• '72 Dodge Challenger 340 5spd
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2009 - 01:36:06 PM »
Great story! I think it's awesome that you still have the car you had when you were 16. So many people are sorry they sold their first cars. When I was 16 I had a '67 Mustang that my brother and I souped up. I'd still have it today but it got totalled on the freeway.

A few years later, a friend of mine was a mopar nut and got me hooked on them, hence the purchase of my dodge. I intend to keep it for life.

(The woman is the driver of the front car, the man is the truck driver that rear ended me.)

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2009 - 06:24:24 PM »
Bought my Challenger in 85 and drove it for a year,,then tranny went out,,then parked it ,,raised 3 kids and got rid of worthless wife,,kept car in several places over the years untill I could start restro in 2004 ,,now in 2009 I drive it with a new wife my life,, while the worthless wife watches me drive by,,she cant stand it  :roflsmiley:
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline 4THECHALLENGE

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2010 - 03:06:21 AM »
Bought my Challenger in 85 and drove it for a year,,then tranny went out,,then parked it ,,raised 3 kids and got rid of worthless wife,,kept car in several places over the years untill I could start restro in 2004 ,,now in 2009 I drive it with a new wife my life,, while the worthless wife watches me drive by,,she cant stand it  :roflsmiley:

Ha ha ha that's is so f@cking cool!!!! :roflsmiley:
love this thread thanks for the hood posts. This is the only forum I'm on.
I actually quit nastyz and now I'm here