Author Topic: 499 Issues ??? FIXED IT!!!  (Read 1266 times)

nivvy

499 Issues ??? FIXED IT!!!
« on: January 10, 2008 - 09:56:32 PM »
Well I took my old starter down to the auto store and they tested it and it worked on their machine...also I hooked up a new starter relay as well ...

I went to turn the key to see if the starter would turn and it instantly blew the fuse under my hood on my fuse board ???

Now is this cause I didnt have any plugs in the car with no wires hooked up cause I just wanted to bump the starter to see if works ??? or is my starter dead ??? I have a new starter to put in but the one that was rebuilt tested good at the auto store....

or could I have got a bad relay ???

:pullinghair:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008 - 08:51:51 PM by StRoKer »

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
Re: 499 Issues ???
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008 - 11:02:37 PM »
What size fuse are you running, and where?  Assuming you blew a main battery cable fuse, the starter is drawing too much current.  A bad relay would either stick or not close, its pretty improbable (but not entirely impossible) that the contacts all fused together and shorted to ground.  Usually the starter testers do not put a load on them when testing.  Freespinning and cranking a 11:1+ CR big block will cause the starter to draw entirely different amperages.  A starter cranking a large V-8 can draw over 250 amps sometimes.  If you had no plugs in it it should draw very little current, make sure the motor turns over by hand with a breaker bar.  If it does the starter is done.  Gotta love headers!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008 - 11:09:05 PM by quagmire »

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008 - 11:18:46 PM »
1. It is obvious the starter is OK as you had it tested and it is ok
2. The relay is new.
3. Did you use the factory plug to simply plug on to the starter relay? If you did there should be no problem there.
4. If the answer to 3 is yes - then you have internal car wiring issues. Why they showed up now I cannot sit here and suggest any more. Just diagnose away. You will most likely need a good set of wiring diagrams.
5. The starter motor armature draws so much current that there is not any protection from the battery to the starter. It is direct and that is why it is important to make sure the insulation on that big wire is in good shape and that it is not in danger of chafing on any of the car metal work. If that cable shorts out it will seem like someone is doing arc welding in your car or the battery may explode in a worse case situation. Not a good feeling.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2008 - 11:21:52 PM by 73EStroker »
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008 - 11:29:49 PM »
From the factory it is a straight shot, but people that have relocated their batteries and dont like electrical fires install a large fuse inline on the battery cable.  He said he blew one under the hood, and I don't remember if they had any under the hood from the factory.  Gotta know what fuse blew first.

nivvy

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008 - 05:40:10 AM »
The battery is connected right to the starter.... used factory cable from the starter to relay and then the jumper wire from the relay to the MR. gasket fuse board I have and that is the fuse that blew.... the one from the starter relay to the mr. g fuse board...... ???

never had any issues before but like I sais its a new relat and re done starter.... Im leaning towards stater.. I have a new starter and just wated to save it for extra and use the rebuilt one and the one that was rebuilt had the wires break loose on it internally from the small post on the starter...

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008 - 06:11:30 AM »
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008 - 12:06:29 PM »
I doubt it is the relay.  We had trouble with starting my dart because it would crank sometimes and do nothing other times.  It turned out to be the "new" relay, but it never blew a fuse.  I hope you can figure it out.   :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008 - 03:55:59 PM »
is the relay connected properly , no wires touching the body of the starter or relay ?

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

nivvy

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008 - 04:19:38 PM »
is the relay connected properly , no wires touching the body of the starter or relay ?

I was going to check that today cause I did notice the wire and batt cable off the starter were over further than before .... dont wanna yank the starter if I have too... all wires are definatley hooked up right....

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008 - 06:50:02 PM »
IF the wires on the relay are connected properly, it HAS to be the starter.   :2cents:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

nivvy

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008 - 07:15:21 PM »
IF the wires on the relay are connected properly, it HAS to be the starter.   :2cents:

Mike

I think CP is right.... i did a double take at the batt cable as it was cocked way over.... I think its hitting the body of the starter... when i get done being lazy I'll check it out and let you know.......  :working:

nivvy

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008 - 08:51:35 PM »
Figured it out.... the relay wires were sitting on the header and cranking the key burnt a hole right threw the bottom of the wiring off the ceramic header ??? do ceramic headers cause that much of a spark trough them just by bumping the key???  :scared:

anyway it was again a simple fix.........  as soon as i turned the key a little the fuel pump was way louder and i knew it was gonna crank!!!

I gotta go see a man about some horse power...........  :bigsmile:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: 499 Issues ??? FIXED IT!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008 - 03:28:46 AM »
 :2thumbs:   It Had to be related to what you had changed since you last had it working

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

nivvy

Re: 499 Issues ??? FIXED IT!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008 - 10:18:47 AM »
I still cant believe it arked right through new wire from sitting on the ceramic header just by bumping the key???

Learn something new everyday....

CP gets another point in my book... I think his help count for me is about 2000 now since my membership :bigsmile: