Author Topic: Anybody ever polish chips out of glass  (Read 4725 times)

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
Anybody ever polish chips out of glass
« on: January 12, 2008 - 11:45:29 PM »
Has anyone ever had any luck polishing a chip or scratches out of glass? My drivers side door glass on my Cuda is original and has some scratches from the felt being worn and would like to try and save the window if possible. If anyone has ever done this are there any tricks to gettting the scratches out? Also what have you used and where did you buy it from? I'm concerned that it will be lots of work as glass is pretty tough stuff and this could be a real learning thing for me. I talked to one person about this and said it takes lots of time as it is a very slow process. Any help would be great on this matter.
Jeff

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline jeryst

• Resident
Re: Anybody ever polish chips out of glass
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008 - 12:05:22 AM »
I have the same problem, so I'd be interested if anyone has any ideas as well.

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008 - 12:39:49 AM »
I have seen someone polish out some scratches on a windshield but not on a side window.  It only took him about 30 minutes, but he was a professional.  I wish I could tell you more, but it was several years ago and I do not remember any details other than the windshield is still in my father's Dart and looks great.
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008 - 04:32:00 AM »
just a warning
polishing glass to much or in one spot can give the glass wierd optics [distortion]

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

hannah

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008 - 02:03:23 AM »
just a warning
polishing glass to much or in one spot can give the glass wierd optics [distortion]

Hey  :swaying: yes that is very true

In all honesty I wouldn't waste the money on a "scratch remover" There are a few companies out there that offer a scratch remover like say Eastwood...save your money.

Sometimes in trying these products...buff/polish the scratches out your finished product is distortion. (is that a word? lol) The compound takes down the glass to get rid of the scratch If anything they are great glass shiners not scratch removers

If it is more than a scuff or something you can feel with your finger nail...buy new glass

And I always check my wipers and window trims for little rocks and stuff...all it takes is one grain of sand to make a scratch and wreck your day

:wave:

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008 - 09:22:46 AM »
just a warning

:iagree: If you have to significantly alter the thickness of the glass in a localized area you essentially make it a lens.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008 - 10:55:10 AM »
It sure can and your eyes will cross or really make you feel sick if you look at it right.
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008 - 08:17:51 PM »
I had a crack in the windshield of my regular car last year. The glass company asked me if it was a stone chip or a crack because they could fix a chip. I'm assuming they would fill in the hole with something, and then polish it. If they can do that with a chip, why couldn't they do it with scratches?

hannah

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008 - 08:53:54 PM »
I believe because it is a different process than polishing out glass scratches.

A chip is something they fill and build up...but a scratch is something you are grinding down to remove it

:wave:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008 - 01:15:34 AM »
 :iagree:  sounds right to me the chip doesn`t go away when filled it is somewhat visable  , it just stops it expanding across the windsheild , the scratch needs to be polished out thinning the glass in that area , if the scratch is light you will not notice it but if it is deep you will

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008 - 02:02:25 AM »
I have bought the Eastwood kit and will let everyone know how it turns out. The small chip is in my new windshield on my Cuda on the passenger side. I think it will work out ok but I was told it is a slow process with there kit and to make sure the glass is clean before polishing or I will have scratches I may never get out.

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008 - 12:40:41 PM »
Here is something that explains what is done.

http://www.uvp.com/pdf/ab-124.pdf
Mike, Fremont, CA.