Author Topic: Changing a/c dash pad to non a/c dash pad  (Read 1399 times)

Offline kingtroll

Changing a/c dash pad to non a/c dash pad
« on: January 14, 2008 - 10:10:33 AM »
My car has a dash pad with a/c vents and the right vent is cracked. I am thinking about when I eventually replace the dash cap to a dash pad that I will just replace it with a non a/c dash pad. I don't have a/c anyways and the ac vents don't seem to be reproduced anywheres. I don't think it will be a problem but has anyone else done this? I like to ask because I have learned to never assume anything when it comes to switching stuff.
1974 Barracuda

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
Re: Changing a/c dash pad to non a/c dash pad
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008 - 10:47:05 AM »
There should be not problems with changing to a non A/C dash pad.  I have switched them out in the past and do not see any problems that you would run into.  I would keep all of the A/C things just in case you decide to get rid of the car or if you move somewhere that you would want to put A/C back on.   :2cents:
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008 - 11:57:00 AM »
There is no problem making this switch. There are AC vents on E-Bay occasionally. I think there are some on there now for E-Bodies.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008 - 01:06:29 PM »
I didn't think it would be an issue. I only worry if I want to put a/c in the future the old vents would be used in that case I would think .
1974 Barracuda

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008 - 04:19:28 AM »
Post when you do the conversion please.   :woohoo:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008 - 11:48:36 AM »
Post when you do the conversion please.   :woohoo:

I am not sure if I will convert but regardless I will be changing the dash pad and when I do I'll be sure to post pics. (before and after)
1974 Barracuda

Offline 70RTdroptop

• 1970 Challenger R/T 440-SixPack
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008 - 10:30:10 PM »
My car, when I bought it, had the original AC dashpad in it. The car was already 3/4 cloned to a 440SixPack RT, and those did not come with AC. So I switched out the pad, no problem. However, non-AC cars have the underdash knobs for the vents, and the temp / vent  controls for an AC car are vacuum operated. With mine, I just left the  3-switch temp control ( which I put in to be more correct for the clone)  midway between hot and cold, and since I don't have a vacuum switch to shut off the heat or defrost, I have it blended between the two. That's the main thing here - at least as far as I know, converting an AC car to non-AC, there is really no way to shut the heat off short of disconnecting the heater core. If I'm wrong here, please tell me - I'd love to get my 3-switch control to shut off or start up  my heat and /or defrost! The floor gets awful hot in the summer when I'm driving, even with the top down!
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440-6 convertible
1966 Ford Mustang convertible  - numbers matching (wife's car )

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008 - 08:42:14 AM »
I live in South Florida and the summers are SUPER hot and humid but I usually don't use the car that much but for local cruise ins or a cruise later in the day when it's not so hot. It would be nice to have a/c but I have other things I have to do first and then I'll have to make that decision on putting back a/c or not. When you live in a hot place like I do a/c is a VERY good thing to have but I have a very lopey cam and probably have to change that, see what a/c ducts are there or missing etc...and like most of us budget is a big factor on some of our restoration decisions. I am now having a new carb put in, front floor pans, front wheel bearings, alignment, rear bumper, new power steering unit, new carpet, new plugs, valve cover gaskets, front seat belts, and some other items so next I want to finish the interior....headliner, dash pad, interior pillar covers rear seat belts. I also am considering changing the heads since mine are the later ones without the larger valves to edy heads . Then I will probably change the cam etc... etc...body work paint so you see every decision has to be thought out. Thats why i appreciate the response on items like the a/c because I know many of you have been there and done that and everything comes down to whats the best way to do things and it may not be the cheapest way intially.
1974 Barracuda