Author Topic: options besides 8 3/4, Dana, or Ford 9 inch?  (Read 1405 times)

Offline gkring

options besides 8 3/4, Dana, or Ford 9 inch?
« on: January 14, 2008 - 11:13:22 PM »
After seeing the going rates to build up a 8 3/4 sure grip from axle to axle I was wondering if there were other rears out there suitable for a 450 HP Ebody cruiser? I only had a 7 1/4 under the convertible so I need something beefier for the 5.7 hemi. it looks smarter to build a Dana or Strange S60 from scratch than trying to build a 8 3/4 with all new parts. I didn't mind using a Ford 9 inch under my other race cars, but not in my Mopar! Years ago I remember the Mopar mags putting Dodge truck/Dakota type rears under their project cars. I guess I could build a dana for the future racecar barracuda and use it's 8.75 under the convert, but would still have to source a suregrip. Just looking for ideas out there.
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
Re: options besides 8 3/4, Dana, or Ford 9 inch?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008 - 04:09:47 AM »
Nothing wrong with a good 8 3/4 and they are a lot lighter in weight than a Dana,  But a Dana would look tuff in the bum of a Mopar :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

nivvy

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008 - 05:43:03 AM »
Just buy my 8 3/4.... It all new built everything in it..........  :bigsmile:

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008 - 07:02:38 AM »
There are a number of fabricated housings out there. Most are for 9" applications, but there is at least one for 8.75 pigs. Of course building one of these from scratch is not going to be any cheaper than the stock housing. The 8.75 is pretty tough in factory form. Why don't use just pick one up from a yard or member and put it in. Rebuild your desired 3rd member over time, then swap em out. That pig is where most the $$ for a build up are anyway.

Offline gkring

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008 - 09:44:07 AM »
Just buy my 8 3/4.... It all new built everything in it..........  :bigsmile:

I saw that, but I didn't see an asking price. I remember your thread about everything you add to a car should add to the value so I didn't want to insult you by offering something way less than what you have in it. if it can go FedEx ground shipping won't be too bad, but if I have to freight it that would add another $100 to get it to me.
Greg
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline gkring

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008 - 09:57:41 AM »
There are a number of fabricated housings out there. Most are for 9" applications, but there is at least one for 8.75 pigs. Of course building one of these from scratch is not going to be any cheaper than the stock housing. The 8.75 is pretty tough in factory form. Why don't use just pick one up from a yard or member and put it in. Rebuild your desired 3rd member over time, then swap em out. That pig is where most the $$ for a build up are anyway.

8 3/4 would be plenty for the convert. I guess i should have qualified my question with a money factor. Buying everything new can total $2K. If I can come across a halfway decent 8 3/4 for under $200 and just have to source a suregrip it may not be too bad. I see questioneable suregrips going for $400 plus. Right now I have nothing at all, so I have to source everything from lug nut to lug nut. I'm liking the 8.75 because it is a Mopar, plenty strong, and the gear chunk is so easy to change.
Greg
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008 - 11:18:39 PM »
GKRing - if you don't want Stroker's rear assembly I have a complete axle to axle 3.55 SG 489 case and housing For Sale out of my factory 73 340/4Spd Rallye Chally. I put in a dana 60. The diff did not leak at the pinion, gears look good (but would get a 2nd opinion on that statement befor selling long distance) the SG takes all of one's strength to break the wheel loose when one side of the car was jacked off the ground. No brake equipment though. $550 CDN or US - they are about the same. If you email me your Zip I will get a shipping quote from Canadurrrrr.  :canada:

Email kiwirv6@shaw.ca
Barry (Salmon Arm)