Author Topic: Copyright on pictures of your car  (Read 933 times)

Offline duodec

Copyright on pictures of your car
« on: January 15, 2008 - 10:38:08 AM »
From Slashdot: http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/01/14/1628204, an article with links about Ford opposing printing of a car club calendar featuring member's Mustangs.

Follow the link in the intro to the article, which has links to add'l sites and the original forum posts about the calendar.

Ford is claiming rights to images of their vehicles, even personally snapped photos of your own car (should you own a Ford).

Hopefully no such microencephalic twittery will be infecting the Chrysler folks...

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Re: Copyright on pictures of your car
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008 - 12:52:32 PM »
That's pretty amusing.  The first time they go after someone with enough money to hire a lawyer all of that would come to a screeching halt.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008 - 04:24:03 PM »
I wonder if it has to do with making money off the pictures?  The situation mentioned was a calender, assumably that would be put up for sale.  :dunno:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008 - 04:51:47 PM »
Admittedly I just glanced over the article. I could maybe see the point if they were talking about '08 cars, and wanting to maintain their rights on the design. But there's a difference to owning the design and owning the image.

I ran into something similar when I was in Detroit. I parked my car and was walked around Rouge Steel taking pictures.  Not once or twice but four times their gaurds approached me on the sidewalk to tell me that I had to stop. I calmly explained each time that the sidewalk was public property, and that according to US law any image available from public property is a public image.

Anybody who tells me that they own the image of my car, however, would be knocked down by my gales of laughter.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars