Author Topic: Have you ever been a juror?  (Read 3182 times)

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
Have you ever been a juror?
« on: January 17, 2008 - 09:51:58 AM »
I usually try not to post too much about non car stuff but what happened yesterday was just too unreal.

In the past,  I have been able to duck going to jury duty in many different scenarios. One year I said I really can't afford it, our household depends on my income too much. Which I was saying the truth. Other times my number didn't come up and I lucked out.

Well yesterday my boss and I were chatting about jury duty. And he was wondering how different people get out of it. I gave him stories from others I heard how they did it. So I come home a few hours later, check the mail and I get not 1 but 2 summons to jury within a 2 week period.

I feel its a patriotic duty for all Americans should do at least once in their life. But twice in a 2 week period? They'll have to let me off one I would think. I think this time I'll let this one play itself out and see if I get selected.

Any experiences you've had from your duty as an American citizen for jury duty? and what is your thoughts on it?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008 - 10:12:19 AM by Topcat »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
Re: Have you ever been a juror?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008 - 10:25:48 AM »
You should have no problem getting out of one.  I don't think they can make you serve twice within a 6 month period, or at least that's the way it is in Texas. Does the summons have a list of waivers, etc?  I would go on the first date, and then send the 2nd one back with the exception, or even take them both on the first date, and they could probably take off the list there for the 2nd date.

Offline LAA66

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008 - 10:43:44 AM »
 I served a few years ago and it was really quite an interesting experience. It was a strong arm robbery case and had all of the twists of a TV drama. I felt kind of important and a little bit humble at the same time as my decision was critical to the lives of the people involved.

On the flip side if you were assigned to a boring civil case then it could be a chore.

As for the double summons, I don't think they can require you to serve twice in a certain period so call the court and let them know the situation you are in. 

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008 - 06:03:38 PM »

As for the double summons, I don't think they can require you to serve twice in a certain period so call the court and let them know the situation you are in. 

:iagree:

I think the once in six month thing applies here, but maybe each State is different.  :dunno: You never know what you are getting into. I haven't been called yet, but my brother had to sit thru a murder trial. His lasted 2 days, and the sent the guy away... he was only a teenager too.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

hannah

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008 - 08:59:16 PM »
I have been given a summons twice and served on both occasions...

Here in Alberta if you have served already within 2 years you can ask to be excused...doesn't mean you will be and you must fill out an application within 5 days of the summons.

You should have a government site that has a section on Jury duty...and most likely a Jury Eligibility Questionnaire that you can go thru to see if you do meet the requirements...if you do you must go...if you don't you still have to fill out the exempt paper and they will let you know whether you will be excused or not...otherwise it is your duty to show up

:violin:

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008 - 04:25:15 AM »

I was summoned once and went. Didn't "really" want to but was told by a few people it was worth going as some cases can be very interesting and informative. If it helps the system tick along, then I don't think it's a bad thing. :2cents:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008 - 06:11:35 AM »
I have been on jury duty 3 times but only got called in and picked to serve on one trial. I consider it a civic duty and do not try to get out of it but it is also a pia to have to deal with all the calling. My last round lasted almost 8 months for some reason  :clueless:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline CrazyPete

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008 - 07:49:44 AM »
Ive done it 2 times felony assualt both time's 3rd and 2nd degree i personally didnt mind doing it.  Kinda intresting to see how my thoughts on a case compaired to everyone else and to help keep things clean on the streets.

1970 Dodge Challenger T/A      http://heartlandmopars.com
1970 Plymouth Barracuda Gran Coupe
1976 Dodge Dart Sport
"Is that an oil leak?  No it's just sweat from all that HORSEPOWER"

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008 - 11:17:56 AM »
I'm not registered to vote so I don't get anything like that.   :grinno:

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008 - 11:25:07 AM »
Not been called to this point.  Well was but I was not in the state when I got the call.  So got out of it then. 
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008 - 03:38:09 PM »
I was summond once & selected but knew the guy charged so I was dropped

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008 - 04:32:12 PM »

:iagree:  In MA I think you only have to serve 1 time in 3 years.  It is a civic duty, some of the cases can be very interesting.

They need your wise discretion, Topcat!  :thumbsup:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008 - 07:10:31 PM »
I'm not registered to vote so I don't get anything like that.   :grinno:

In Maryland, you are automatically registered when you get your driver's license(after you turn 18). I'm not sure how this works for illegal aliens.  :lol:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline inot2old

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008 - 09:13:14 PM »
I was just called once & didn't get picked.  I think it could be interesting, at least once in your life
'71 Cuda 

'70 Charger project
'05 Crossfire Roadster

Offline 70RAGTOPR/T

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008 - 09:10:14 AM »
Yes,  I spent one month on a civil case.  I did learn how mushrooms were grown.  :faint:  I was also picked for the Steve Pernell case in DE, he was the Rt 13 killer. I was removed from the jury because DuPont testing labs were used by the state.  At that time I worked for Dupont.  Just to let you know, DE zapped him 5-7 years ago.