Author Topic: Rallye Speedometer reset question  (Read 4387 times)

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
Rallye Speedometer reset question
« on: January 17, 2008 - 08:47:56 PM »
I am putting together a rallye dash for my '73, and am a bit stumped.  I ordered a set of the aftermarket reset knobs, but neither of them fit onto the reset arm (for lack of a better term) of the speedometer.  The arm is rectangular instead of round, and has little teeth on the end instead of the threads for the lock screw.  Both reset knobs are identical.  Should one knob be different, or is something screwy with my speedometer.  I will try to post pictures next if the server doesn't crash on me, again.

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
Re: Rallye Speedometer reset question
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008 - 09:03:19 PM »
pic1

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008 - 09:13:01 PM »
pic2
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008 - 09:34:35 PM by 73Chally »

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008 - 09:13:52 PM »
pic3.  It appears I can only do one at a time.  Fortunately this is the last.  :pullinghair:

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008 - 09:45:06 PM »
Okay, I hate to  :horse: , but I just pulled this picture off Ebay, and the speedo reset knob looks nothing like the one I got from PG Classics (Like I said above, he ones I got are both identical).  I have seen several rallye dashes with this same knob, so what's the deal?  Anyone have any thoughts?  Do I need to find another knob or can I modify the one I have?  :clueless:  :1zhelp:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008 - 02:20:23 AM »
I have never seen a speedo with that type of reset knob

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008 - 05:11:03 AM »
The knobs you bought are for the 70-71 style Rally gauges. The 72-74 style are different.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008 - 08:02:25 AM »
The knobs you bought are for the 70-71 style Rally gauges. The 72-74 style are different.

Mike

I bought these through PG Classics on Ebay, and they were specifically advertised as 72-74.  Has anyone dealt with them with regards to returning an item like this?  Thanks for all the help.

Does anyone have a phone number or direct email for PG Classics?  I just talked with Gentry at Auto Instruments, and he told me the knob for the speedometer should be "straw shaped" for lack of a better term, and it looks like I just got 2 clock reset knobs from PG.  For $50 I'd like to get the correct parts.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008 - 01:04:37 PM by 73Chally »

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008 - 08:03:04 AM »
I have never seen a speedo with that type of reset knob

CC - Do you mean the knob I have or the one in the picture I posted off of Ebay?  Thanks.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008 - 02:12:10 PM »
the speedo you have with the flat serrated reset arm the ones I have seen have threaded arms

Offline Mopar73340

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008 - 04:39:29 PM »
[quote
Does anyone have a phone number or direct email for PG Classics?  I just talked with Gentry at Auto Instruments, and he told me the knob for the speedometer should be "straw shaped" for lack of a better term, and it looks like I just got 2 clock reset knobs from PG.  For $50 I'd like to get the correct parts.
[/quote]

Their e-mail is eparts4cars@hotmail.com. They also have a website at www.pgclassic.com.  I bought some headlight bezels from them and they sent me 2 left sides. He e-mailed and said he had made a mistake and could I please send one of the left sets back. I said no problem as soon as the rights arrive. So the rights arrived a few days later and I sent the lefts back with a copy of the reciept. That was the last I heard of him. Wouldn't return my calls or e-mails. Never received the postage. I have heard good and bad but after my experience I choose not to deal with them.  :2cents:  Oh and like others have said, the speedo reset knob is for a 72-74.
73-Challenger 340 727/GearVendors Auto
73-Challenger 408 Pistol-Grip 5-speed

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008 - 04:46:40 PM »
Thank you for the info.  I exchanged emails and pictures with Greg at RT Engineering, and it turns out they do have the correct knob for the 72-74 speedometer.  I will make an attempt with PG to correct the problem, but at least I know where to get the correct one, now.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008 - 06:38:26 PM »
Thank you for the info.  I exchanged emails and pictures with Greg at RT Engineering, and it turns out they do have the correct knob for the 72-74 speedometer.  I will make an attempt with PG to correct the problem, but at least I know where to get the correct one, now.

Look at that picture you posted from E-Bay. The knob should go straight in. I don't know what you have.  :clueless:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008 - 07:03:17 PM »
Look at that picture you posted from E-Bay. The knob should go straight in. I don't know what you have.  :clueless:

Mike

To be honest that's the thing that has had me stumped, also, but I have shown the picture of mine to Gentry at Auto Instruments, and Gary at RT Engineering, and they both said it is the correct speedometer for 72-74.  I'm just going to have to take their word for it.  I'm just building this as a driver, so if I have to modify the knob a bit, then that's fine.  The alignment of the reset arm is fine in relation to the hole in the lens, so that's not an issue.  I'll just have to see how it works out.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008 - 10:01:02 PM »
maybe I never pulled off one of those type of knobs before