Author Topic: Bias Ply vs Radial?  (Read 3846 times)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Bias Ply vs Radial?
« on: January 18, 2008 - 07:47:33 AM »

What are the pros and cons? Which is the better all round street tire? I think radial is from what I have seen and heard but by how much so and why? Just wondering as there are some bias ply tires in great sizes but I'm put off and I'm not 100% sure why I'm put off, maybe I've been misinformed? Which is the longer lasting? Has better traction? Better stability? Any input or advice on the matter is much appreciated. ;)

Cheers,
Carlwalski
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
Re: Bias Ply vs Radial?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008 - 08:10:06 AM »
Hey Carl,

Bias ply is old technology buddy.  It was designed when the Dinosaurs raced for their lives.   Bias ply was available on cars long ago and are still available for restoration perposses and Bias ply tires are still great for straight line drag racing.    For what you want in a road going vehicle, i personally would stick with the modern design of the radials, better allround road tire.  Radial tires are available in drag radial tires aswell but most will not pass your road laws, i think.   This is just from my own personal experience. :dogpile:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline JS29

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008 - 08:40:24 AM »
I wish they would make some radials that looked like this:

Looking for my buildsheet starting with: JS29N0B115###

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008 - 08:56:24 AM »
 :iagree:  It would be nice to have the same raised letters going on radial tires.  Maybe some one will do that.
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008 - 10:24:55 AM »
Bias ply tires are created by stacking layers of nylon, rayon  or some other fabric material to create the body of the tire. This stacking of layers makes them somewhat stiff when sufficient plys are used for over the road use. This stiffness in the casing can cause the tire to distort under hard use, which can compromise traction. This is why a bias ply tire has a very square shoulder to it, to prevent the tire from rolling over. Rolling over on the edge causes distortion problems. Additionall, all these layers of belts make the tire heavy and allow them to retain heat, which will shorten the lifespan of the tire as well. Over the road use of bias ply tends to have the car wander as the tires follow ruts and grooves in the road. Additionally, the multiple, heavy layers tend to flat spot when parked overnight and can cause a sometimes severe thumping when driven the next day until the tires heat up and the flat spot is worked out. The wider the tire, the more pronouced these issues become.

Radials use steel belts that wrap around the carcass of the tire in fewer numbers than belted tires, so that gives it considerably more flexability. It also allows stronger construction with a lighter weight so they are more responsive to irregularties in the road. This also minimizes distortion under hard use which allows greater contact area, which enhances traction. The lighter weight combined with the rounded shoulder allows a radial to roll over road irregularities rather than be directed by them.

In competition situations, I've noticed that both grip almost equally well, to a limit. One big difference between them is that a bias ply will tell you it is going away. The noise and gradual loss of traction allow the driver to hear and feel the tractive situation and adjust for it. Recovery is easily obtained and can be done on the fly. Radials, on the other hand, are like driving on ice once they let go. You will need to almost completely back out of it and allow the tire to regain grip before hammering it again. Bias ply tell you when your pushing the envelope, radials don't, they just cut loose. However, once the driver adjusts to these difference, the radials will be faster more consistently. This is why you still see so many bias ply drag tires out there, but not very many biased handling applications.

For all around street use, the radial is better all the way around. They are lighter, more responive, just as fast, grip as well, and last longer. To throw a guess out, I'd say 10-25% better than a bias ply tire run through the same situations.

Offline LAA66

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008 - 10:46:29 AM »
 Well done HP2.  :thumbsup:

I do remember the old bias ply tires would let you know before cutting loose in a corner. Better for rookie drivers in my case. Transitioning to radials took a little getting use to.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008 - 11:02:51 AM by LAA66 »

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008 - 10:52:21 AM »
Well put HP2,  Could not have said it better myself.
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008 - 11:18:41 AM »
Just don't use 2 bias-ply and 2 radials. Mixing and matching is a no-no.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008 - 11:25:27 AM »
Great info, HP2!  :thumbsup:

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline LAA66

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008 - 11:50:46 AM »
Just don't use 2 bias-ply and 2 radials. Mixing and matching is a no-no.

Mike

I might be fun on a closed course for drifting. Radials in front and bias on the rear. :biggrin:

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008 - 12:02:32 PM »

Oh, one more thing, bias ply tires "grow" in size with extreme pressure, speed, heat, or any combination of the three.  Radials do not. I used to use these methods to grow bias plys to produce varying amounts of stagger for oval track racing. When we converted to radials, it just couldn't be done any more and I had to be much more concious of buying the correct diameter tire up front. Just another aspect of the distortion principle that could be an impact when fitted to cars with minimal tire clearance running high speeds at the drag strip.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008 - 05:21:35 PM »

Whoa! Only posted this late last night, great replies, input and help thank you people. Thanks as well Tony, you're a bloody tech guru mate, very in depth and your answers are put in the best layman's terms you can (most of the time lol). So, everyone agrees and confirmed my original opinion that radials are the best street tire available. Thanks!

:ylsuper:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

nivvy

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008 - 05:25:46 PM »
I really like the et street radials......

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008 - 05:43:31 PM »
Another thing is Bias ply tires handle heavy weight better than a radial because of their design. Just about every 18 wheeler uses bias ply.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/thumb/6/65/250px-Tire_plies.png bias ply

http://www.discounttire.com/images/helpTireConstruction.gif  radial

The radial has steel belts in it. Bias Ply don't
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008 - 06:01:57 PM by Topcat »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008 - 05:58:01 PM »
You can still get those tires - Coker has them I believe.  www.cokertire.com

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)