Author Topic: How easy (or hard) is it to rebuild a 727?  (Read 11471 times)

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
How easy (or hard) is it to rebuild a 727?
« on: January 18, 2008 - 03:33:54 PM »
Hi guys, thanks in advance for any advice.

I might be looking at a 727 that comes with a rebuild kit.  I haven't touched one of these trannies in a loooooooong time.  He said the kit costs about $150....does that tell you anything about what kind of kit it is?

Can the rebuild be done with basic mechanics tools or are there specialty tools needed?  Do I need any weird micrometers, dial gauges, etc.?  I have the basics, ratchets, wrenches, hammer....big hammer for bigger problems.  :roflsmiley:

As of yet, I don't know anything about the tranny other than it comes with a rebuild kit so I don't know if it was slipping, etc.. but I assume that something was going on.  :dunno:

I know, I'm very vague, as usuall...  :bricks1:

Thanks!!!  :worshippy
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
Re: How easy (or hard) is it to rebuild a 727?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008 - 03:39:08 PM »
To me they are easy to rebuild.  I have built in the 1000's.  Some special tools such as a way to get the pump out.  I have made most things I needed to work on the 727.  If you have not done one in a while I would probably get some sort of book on them to bone up on them.  They are probably the easiest one to rebuild in my opinion.  Gordon
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008 - 03:44:02 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Gordon.  :thumbsup:

Good idea with the book.  I'll try to dig up a manual and see what I might be in for.  Other wise if the rebuild kit is new in box I might sell it and have a professional rebuild it the right way, if I get the tranny....we'll see.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008 - 03:54:18 PM »
you need a 3 leg press tool to get the drums apart to replace the seals , relatively easy to rebuild but you need special pressure test equipment to test pump pressure etc , I didn`t & it bit me 3 times in a row

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008 - 04:04:25 PM »
Thanks, Chryco!  :thumbsup:

It's looking like I should leave it to the pros if I get it.  I didn't even think of pressure testing it.

Like all things, I assumed that once you stuff new parts in it, it should work perfectly!!!! 

NOT!!!  :faint:  :roflsmiley:  :banghead:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008 - 04:10:20 PM »
I made the same mistake , I changed all the seals & clutches & the car went 3 block & burned up all the clutches & seperater plates , rebuilt it again with a tranny mechanic & it went 3 blocks again , the third time I let a pro build it , apparently the oil pump looked fine & was making just enough pressure to move the car but not enough tio lock the clutches up fully , costly mistake   

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008 - 04:19:04 PM »
Thanks again, Chryco!  :thumbsup:

I've learned over the years that:

Experience/knowledge=learning from your mistakes

Really good experience/knowledge=learning from someone else's mistakes!   :roflsmiley:  :smilielol:

I think you're saving me a headache in the future.  The 340/727 in my car runs fine (From the few times around the block.) but I saw an ad in craigslist for a 383 (complete minus heads, might be a '67)/727 tranny with rebuild kit.  I was thinking if I wanted to go big block since it's cheap moeny (Money that I don't have anyhow...) for this combo but thinking about the $$$ to get it in, a set of used heads, sb to bb conversion....  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:

I might just settle for the 240hp for now and it'll be better on gas.  I just won't race anyone, even the Hondas.  :roflsmiley:  :smilielol:  It runs well anyhow...

Thanks guys!!!!  :2thumbs:

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008 - 04:21:56 PM »
A clean, large workspace is also a must - I rebuilt a trans on some large plywood panels once - that was nervwracking, constantly pulling splinters out of your tranny fluid...

The tranny did work when I was done though.  ;)

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008 - 04:24:54 PM »
Big blocks are fun , but the 360 has more stroke than the 383 so you need to do a 383 stroker / 430 CI to really see the gain
 I was pushed into building a few 727s as we didn`t trust anyone to do it & no over sell the project , 2 worked perfectly , the 3rd not os much !!
I decided than rather than spendthe $$ to do them right I would just get out of it & keep busy doing other projects
 I do have a guy that I trust to do them for me now
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008 - 04:29:53 PM by Chryco Psycho »

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008 - 04:28:20 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Jeff, but after mulling over I think I'm not going to the big block route at this time, although I know your getting ready for a 440!  :burnout:  I have big block envy.  :P

I thought it was a good deal so I was thinking about it.  I'll be over it in a couple of days...  :'(

Yeah , Chryco, I looked into a 383 stroker situation but I can hardly afford the engine, let alone the machining and the fun parts.  The only stroking I can afford do is a back stroke.  :roflsmiley: 

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008 - 05:09:37 PM »
Tranny is tranny - whether you're rebuilding for big or small block.  The trans I rebuilt was for a Chevy 350.  Went into a 67 Nova.  I also rebuilt a 4T60E at WyoTech for a grade - passed with no problem.

Trannies really are cool - if you know the fundamentals and double-check your work, they're really not HARD, especially if you have the tools.  A good tranny tech can drop, rebuild, and reinstall a tranny in 5 or 6 hours (while charging you for 12.)  I really enjoyed doing it, but have no interest in making a career out of it - though tranny tech's never go hungry.

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008 - 05:16:00 PM »
i rebuilt a 340 727 once with a tech auto school teacher when I was in the Army. After I ETS'd from the Military, I drove across the U.S. with it and a rebuilt engine. As soon as I got home, the clutches fried.

I say leave to a pro. 
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008 - 11:24:53 PM »
I think out of all of the 727s I have built I had trouble out of 2 of them. One was a case problem the other was a valve body problem. 
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008 - 10:11:07 AM »
i rebuilt a 340 727 once with a tech auto school teacher when I was in the Army. After I ETS'd from the Military, I drove across the U.S. with it and a rebuilt engine. As soon as I got home, the clutches fried.

I say leave to a pro. 

More evidence that if you guys can't do it, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to.  :grinyes: 

I did several trannies in auto mechanic school and it was a lot of fun but that was like 20 years ago, plus I don't think we ran them so who knows if they were done right.   :dunno:   I remember the engine I rebuilt with a friend.  The thing I remember saying to him after it was put back together was, "The crank is supposed to turn, right?  :clueless:

I've rebuilt some Acura FWD trannies about 10 years ago, but that was in a dealership with all the fun tools and whatnot.  I would rather have it done right and not worry about a ticking time bomb.

I may be rethinking the 383/727 combo.  I emailed the guy and waiting to see if it's still available this AM.  With my luck, it's gone...  :bricks1: 

But, a good sign is that when I was pouring out the batter making waffles, on one of the waffles, the batter poured out in the shape of a Pentastar, no joke, weird, eh???  :eek7:  We'll see if I get it.  If I do, I'll save it for a rainy day, when I get more $$$ to play with it.

Thanks for all the replies guys!!!  :2thumbs:

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008 - 06:06:51 PM »
A friend of mine rebuilt his a couple of years ago, and he didn't have any prior experience. He just picked up a how-to guide somewhere, and went at it. He put a shift kit and a few other goodies in it, and it was the coolest transmission I have ever driven. I believe he got hold of a new pump for cheap, and put that in while he was at it..