barrett-jackson auction prices

Author Topic: barrett-jackson auction prices  (Read 14242 times)

Offline Black340

• 1973 challenger 340 4 Speed
Re: barrett-jackson auction prices
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2008 - 12:54:37 PM »
Matt that is a beauty..congrats and enjoy it :2thumbs:

Offline scf100

• FAST LANE FOREVER!
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2008 - 02:00:55 PM »
how uncool is it for the owner of the auction house ( Craig Jackson) bidding on items?.....he did it merely to raise the prices...talk about a conflict of interest!  I was there in 2005 and its gone downhill since....like of games being played and 1 or 2 fake cars sold as the real deal for BIG money..... :horse:
1970 Challenger R/T convertible 383…. 4-speed…3.91 suregrip

Triple Black

Offline matt63

« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2008 - 04:17:43 PM »
how uncool is it for the owner of the auction house ( Craig Jackson) bidding on items?.....he did it merely to raise the prices...talk about a conflict of interest!  I was there in 2005 and its gone downhill since....like of games being played and 1 or 2 fake cars sold as the real deal for BIG money..... :horse:
I saw him do that on the Cuda and was very surprised.  That is totally inappropriate and unethical.  I think he ended up buying the car as he should have.  All the bidders should have walked.  Perhaps he got caught up in the excitement????
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2008 - 05:50:57 PM »
Does anyone know anything about several cars being removed from the auction for any reasons?  A friend of mine said he just caught a quick mention of something like that, but wasn't sure what exactly he had heard.

Offline ohio cuda

« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2008 - 08:53:01 PM »
Attached is a picture I took of the map of auctions which are going on at about the same time. They are all within a few miles of each other

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2008 - 12:31:47 PM »
I saw him do that on the Cuda and was very surprised.  That is totally inappropriate and unethical.  I think he ended up buying the car as he should have.  All the bidders should have walked.  Perhaps he got caught up in the excitement????

Maybe it was already his car, and he didn't want to lose anything on it. Wouldn't surprise me. I think they're unethical at best.

Offline Red R/T

« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2008 - 02:19:31 PM »
JMO but I think Steve (Pres of BJ) was tired of seeing his beloved Fords at the bottom of the auction.  I think he spent all year last year calling ford folks and telling them this is the year to bring them to BJ.  I think Carrol Shelby did a great thing in the day with the Cobras but I'm tired of the constant behind kissing from Steve and others.  If I had been there I would have dropped trousers and asked Carrol to sign my behind.  When he asked why I would reply "you've signed eveything else in the auction, why not?"  I didn't catch the final tally on sales this year but it seems they may be off a few million from last year.  Maybe they will ditch the Fords next year and go back to a more diverse group of cars.  Anyway, thats my hillbilly opinion of what I saw.  Have a nice day.........
1970 Challenger U code R/T SE

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2008 - 02:50:49 PM »
I didn't catch the final tally on sales this year but it seems they may be off a few million from last year.  Maybe they will ditch the Fords next year and go back to a more diverse group of cars.  Anyway, thats my hillbilly opinion of what I saw.  Have a nice day.........

$80M this year vs. $112M last year, so down roughly 25%.  :wow:

Offline back n black

« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2008 - 04:30:47 PM »
JMO but I think Steve (Pres of BJ) was tired of seeing his beloved Fords at the bottom of the auction.  I think he spent all year last year calling ford folks and telling them this is the year to bring them to BJ.  I think Carrol Shelby did a great thing in the day with the Cobras but I'm tired of the constant behind kissing from Steve and others.  If I had been there I would have dropped trousers and asked Carrol to sign my behind.  When he asked why I would reply "you've signed eveything else in the auction, why not?"  I didn't catch the final tally on sales this year but it seems they may be off a few million from last year.  Maybe they will ditch the Fords next year and go back to a more diverse group of cars.  Anyway, thats my hillbilly opinion of what I saw.  Have a nice day.........

Darned Right Brother...Can a country boy survive? :cheers: :bigsmile: :roflsmiley:

Offline matt63

« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2008 - 04:54:11 PM »
I was told by a guy who has been around the Phoenix car scene for many years that the BJ cars have come down in stature.  This may or may not have been deliberate.  Perhaps some of the nicer cars have gone to Russo or RM.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2008 - 08:35:52 AM »
  If I had been there I would have dropped trousers and asked Carrol to sign my behind.  When he asked why I would reply "you've signed eveything else in the auction, why not?" 

:roflsmiley:    :roflsmiley:    :roflsmiley:    :roflsmiley:    :bigsmile: 
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline Goehner

• 392 IE
« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2008 - 10:12:38 AM »
There is no doubt e-bodies are down. I have been monitoring ebay for some time, and lots of stuff is not meeting the reserve. But then again, most people think their ride is worth more than it actually is. I recently lost a numbers mathing 70 R/T Challenger convertible 440 4speed in a shop fire. Good insurance is a must. I bought a replacement numbers matching 383 auto and take delivery next week.
392 Edition on order
08 Mega Cab 3500 SRW 6.7 CTD, 2" Leveling kit, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ
05 Durango Limited, Yea, it's got a HEMI!!

Offline matt63

« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2008 - 11:45:56 AM »
Cars I've followed rarely sell on Ebay.  Who would buy a car for top dollar without looking at it?  It is primarily an advertising site for cars IMHO.  It would be interesting to see how many cars sell outside of Ebay after attracting interested buyers through their listing. 
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2008 - 11:49:41 AM »
Cars I've followed rarely sell on Ebay.  Who would buy a car for top dollar without looking at it?  It is primarily an advertising site for cars IMHO.  It would be interesting to see how many cars sell outside of Ebay after attracting interested buyers through their listing. 
:iagree: Most of the time when I place a car on ebay it sells after the close of the auction. Usually after one of my auctions ends I have between a half dozen and a dozen people contact me wanting to buy my car.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2008 - 01:13:07 PM »

Most of the time when I place a car on ebay it sells after the close of the auction. Usually after one of my auctions ends I have between a half dozen and a dozen people contact me wanting to buy my car.

I also agree, Anything over about 50K and you can bet there's some private deals happening during and after the auction. With all of the scams and rip off artists out there these days people don't spend serious money on ebay anymore, it's an inexpensive marketing tool, no more, no less. As a seller you simply can't put that much description and color photos in front of more eyeballs for $40.00 any other way. As a buyer you have a chance to get to see allot of cars and get a loose idea of what others think the cars are worth by thier bids and comments, I say loose because you really shouldn't never take either of those for face value, some of it is in the control of the seller, some of it isn't.