Author Topic: Manual disc brakes work with stock master cylinder???  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Born_Fast

• RIGHT PEDAL :: LEFT LANE
Manual disc brakes work with stock master cylinder???
« on: January 21, 2008 - 10:58:39 AM »
Hi guys!

In my intial thread on this website, i posted some pics of my recently bought Challenger. Here's the link: www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=40369.15

From the pics of my engine bay, HP2 pointed out that although the dealer told me the car has disc brakes, it still has the stock master cylinder with two small reservoirs installed - which is said to be a bad thing.

As the car is still being handled by the dealers shipping service, i wrote him that i prefer they check and fix this.

Then i received the following mail five minutes ago: "Yes, the vehicle has disc brakes. They are manual. This is the
reason for the double reservoir."

Now i'm a bit confused. From what i understood before, the master cylinder should be changed along with the brake system being upgraded from drums to discs. And the disc master cylinder should have at least one large reservoir or even two - depending if discs are being installed only in front, or on all four wheels. Right?

Now the dealer seems to either miss or ignore that point in my mail, as he only tells me "Yes, it has two reservoirs." I mean, i know that it has two reservoirs, no matter if there are drums or discs installed, but i am worried about WHAT KIND of master cylinder and reservoir there is in my car.

Does the point in his mail, that the disc brakes are manual, have anything to do with my point that there should be a disc system master cylinder instead of a stock one? Or does he even know less about brake systems than i do? In this case i wonder if it is a good idea to let this guy fix anything, or if it's better to let some real experts handle this.

Sorry if this post seems a bit confusing, i hope you guys get what i mean. Any help here is greatly appreciated, as i'd like to contact the dealer as fast a possible and tell him how to proceed.

Cheers,
Ralph

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
Re: Manual disc brakes work with stock master cylinder???
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008 - 11:29:51 AM »
Hi guys!

In my intial thread on this website, i posted some pics of my recently bought Challenger. Here's the link: www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=40369.15

From the pics of my engine bay, HP2 pointed out that although the dealer told me the car has disc brakes, it still has the stock master cylinder with two small reservoirs installed - which is said to be a bad thing.

As the car is still being handled by the dealers shipping service, i wrote him that i prefer they check and fix this.

Then i received the following mail five minutes ago: "Yes, the vehicle has disc brakes. They are manual. This is the
reason for the double reservoir."

Now i'm a bit confused. From what i understood before, the master cylinder should be changed along with the brake system being upgraded from drums to discs. And the disc master cylinder should have at least one large reservoir or even two - depending if discs are being installed only in front, or on all four wheels. Right?

Now the dealer seems to either miss or ignore that point in my mail, as he only tells me "Yes, it has two reservoirs." I mean, i know that it has two reservoirs, no matter if there are drums or discs installed, but i am worried about WHAT KIND of master cylinder and reservoir there is in my car.

Does the point in his mail, that the disc brakes are manual, have anything to do with my point that there should be a disc system master cylinder instead of a stock one? Or does he even know less about brake systems than i do? In this case i wonder if it is a good idea to let this guy fix anything, or if it's better to let some real experts handle this.

Sorry if this post seems a bit confusing, i hope you guys get what i mean. Any help here is greatly appreciated, as i'd like to contact the dealer as fast a possible and tell him how to proceed.

Cheers,
Ralph

They did make a manual disk brake set up.  I had that conversion on one of my Challengers.  I did not put power on it because it was not from the factory.  They worked just fine.   Gordon
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008 - 11:32:24 AM »
in 70 the master did have 2 small reservoirs , th key here is to check fluid often to be sure it never runs low , the other issue is the residual pressure valve , if it is still in there the front brakes will drag , it is just a rubber valve behind the brass insert where the brake lines seals onto , you need to insert a drywall screw & pull the brass out to remove the rubber RP valve & re-install the brass  

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Born_Fast

• RIGHT PEDAL :: LEFT LANE
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008 - 11:55:24 AM »
 :wow:

That was fast! Thank you gentlemen!!

So the stock master cylinder will actually work, but i need to take out the rubber RP valve (if it's still in) and make sure it never runs low on fluid.  :thinkerg: Got you.

Thanks a ton - you guys rock.  :ylsuper:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008 - 11:58:24 AM »
 :2thumbs:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008 - 12:45:02 PM »
I have standard disc brakes on my 70. Car quest got me my rebuilt cylinder. It looked the same as power brake master cylinders in shape and size, but came with a different part#.  Had the big res in front and the small in back. The counter guy said it was different on the internals. I figured the residual valve or a larger bore.