Author Topic: My Apologies...  (Read 15797 times)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: My Apologies...
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2008 - 09:38:22 AM »
Hmmmmm :thinkerg:

Just kidding Congrats Jeff :woohoo:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2008 - 10:45:06 AM »
Chrysler/Jeep Dealership

Not the biggest, not the smallest.  Um, quick guess....  14 or so bays, 12-13 techs.

My problem isn't as much the size, it's the schedule.

There are four writers.  Three of them work from 7AM until 5PM, Monday through Friday.  The fourth - ME - works that same schedule Monday and Tuesday, and then from 11am until 8pm Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.  I also work every other weekend, 8am until 3pm, whereas the other three alternate every other weekend when I DON'T work.  As a trade off for having every other weekend AND EVERY evening shift, I get every other Friday off, on the same weekend that I don't work the Saturday.  So I get a 6-day week, and a 4-day week, back and forth, back and forth.

I talked at length yesterday with my manager about changing my schedule - in fact changing the whole schedule, so that every writer works one night shift a week (this would open us later for an extra day of the week - probably tuesday) and simply going to a every fourth Saturday for each advisor.  I think the problem is that on Saturday's I get overwhelmed because I'm a one-man band, and it's every other week, as opposed to every 4 or even 6 for the other guys.  Plus, I'm there every night, which means I miss the morning rush since I don't come in until 11, and I sit with my thumb in my butt every evening from 6 until 8 - hardly any phone calls, means hardly any appointments, means hardly any money!

Frankly, I hate sitting here with nothing to do.  I'd rather be busy as hell.  Unfortunately the entire area is in a slight slump, so there's few jobs around.  Plus, a number of dealerships have closed in just the past year, leaving a LOT of people floating around.

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2008 - 11:03:37 AM »
Thanks for the detailed explination.  :thumbsup:

I used to be a tech then when I went back to school I used to be a service advisor after 5pm then on the weekends.  Yup, I know the difference between the morning rush vs later in the afternoon.  It can get pretty boring.  I brought my school work with me so that kept me pretty busy between customers, but it also helped that our dealership was pretty busy.  In the New England area I think we were the largest Acura dealership.

You ever think about becoming a tech?  Or were you one before?  You have the knowledge...  :grinyes:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2008 - 11:16:21 AM »
I was a tech - in fact first tech job was at a restoration shop.  I liked it, but I did better at the administration end of things - researching parts, working with customer and prospective people, setting up appointments, talking about the money, estimates, etc.  Then I went to a Ford dealership for a little while, then some local ma-and-pa places.  It was alright, but I don't have time to wait 8-10 years to get the experience and training I need to make the kinda money that I need NOW.  So I put the tools away and went into a "manager trainee" position with Goodyear, which was a joke - worked there nearly a year before they gave me a store, and they only gave me a store because TWO managers quit at the same time, and the district management team knew they'd get their ass kicked by the regional guy if he found out they had two unmanaged stores, so they threw me in as a warm body for the time being.  Then my service manager quit, and while filling in for his job (and doing double duty) I ended up really liking the service end of things, so I started looking for service writer positions and ended up here.  Was on the way to exceed 40,000 a year until they brought on a 4th writer, and he's a VULTURE...  takes phone calls to set up appointments WHILE already talking to a customer at his counter - real jerk of a guy... ...but he sells like a fiend so no one says anything to him.  Meanwhile the rest of us - the evening guy especially - are going broke.  I took a 20% hit to my pay in my last check, not looking any better for the next one...

I'm ready to go back to wrenching if I have to, but I'm going to exhaust all other options first.  There's another tire-and-auto-repair shop looking for managers.  They're all pretty much one-in-the-same, but I hear most pay more than Goodyear.  So at least its an option.

Yeah sorry for being so detailed, but geez it's not like I have anything else to do...  I got enough time to sit here and give myself a freakin' prostate exam...

:walkaway:

Jeff

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2008 - 11:22:19 AM »

Yeah sorry for being so detailed, but geez it's not like I have anything else to do...  I got enough time to sit here and give myself a freakin' prostate exam...

:walkaway:

Jeff

:roflsmiley:  Just do the exam when the customers aren't looking....or better yet, offer it to customers!  Free prostate exam with every oil change!  Breast exams for free, no appointment necessary!  :naughty:

Nah, appreciate the deatail.  Makes for a better picture!  :grinyes:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Offline back n black

« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2008 - 11:33:26 AM »
 :bigsmile:

Offline back n black

« Reply #126 on: February 26, 2008 - 11:34:14 AM »
#550 :bigsmile:

Offline back n black

« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2008 - 11:35:01 AM »
#551 :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #128 on: February 26, 2008 - 12:08:41 PM »
:roflsmiley:  Just do the exam when the customers aren't looking....or better yet, offer it to customers!  Free prostate exam with every oil change!  Breast exams for free, no appointment necessary!  :naughty:

Nah, appreciate the deatail.  Makes for a better picture!  :grinyes:

Erm, well, I got my camera phone here - how good a picture do ya want?  :)  lol!

Hey I just took a phone call for an appointment - yippeee!!!

:cooldancing:

Jeff

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #129 on: February 26, 2008 - 11:32:47 PM »
You definitely need to talk to your manager about getting you on the early shift! Everybody brings their car in for the day before they go to work, unless you can keep credit for the appointments that you booked that the other advisors write for you.

BTW, I need another advisor, 19 bays expanding to 26 as we speak.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #130 on: February 27, 2008 - 10:30:39 AM »
I was looking at Vanished's posts then noticed mine!  Holy crap!  I'm almost 5000 posts!

Man, I don't have a life do I?  :faint:  :scared:  :roflsmiley:  :smilielol:

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #131 on: February 28, 2008 - 11:27:13 AM »
You definitely need to talk to your manager about getting you on the early shift! Everybody brings their car in for the day before they go to work, unless you can keep credit for the appointments that you booked that the other advisors write for you.

BTW, I need another advisor, 19 bays expanding to 26 as we speak.

Yeah boy I definitely needed to do that...  And I definitely DID....  ...AND GUESS HOW IT WORKED OUT!!!!

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=43195.0

Jeff

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #132 on: July 15, 2008 - 01:11:11 PM »
Ya know MEK and I were joking about this thread over the weekend.

I thought I'd give it a little kick in the butt just for sh!ts and g!ggles...  :)

For what it's worth, I haven't replied to this in over three months.  I've been WORKING....  :)

lol

To MEK!   :cheers:

Jeff

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #133 on: July 15, 2008 - 01:11:36 PM »
By the way does anything special happen at 1500?  Hmm let's see....

Nope, guess not...

:bigsmile:

Jeff

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #134 on: July 15, 2008 - 06:53:32 PM »
Wow,

You must REALLY be working hard today.  :dupe:  This is a flashback to your days at the dealership where you would be online here all day.   :poopoke:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.