Author Topic: Powertrax traction systems, anyone tried?  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Kapteenikosmos

Powertrax traction systems, anyone tried?
« on: January 23, 2008 - 12:26:01 PM »
Has anyone first hand knowledge about the powertrax traction systems? http://www.powertrax.com/noslip.html

Seems like the repro clutch type suregrips for 489 case are on long backorder and I'm thinking about different options. This powertrax traction system seems to be something between limited slip and full locker and they advertise that it should be very silent. I have heard pretty good things from the bit cheaper and older unit "powertrax lock-right" but it has some problems too. It's noisy and the lockup might be bit harsh in some cases.

The price for the traction system is about 430$ and if it is better than a cone type locker in terms of durability, I might buy one.

So any feedback is appreciated.
1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)

Offline RDF

• The pain that greets me is the stick that beats me
Re: Powertrax traction systems, anyone tried?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008 - 04:06:31 PM »
I'll be watching this one as I'm in search for a suregrip style to replace my open on now.... :popcorn:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=45749.0

Offline bordin34

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008 - 07:13:02 PM »
Sounds like some fancy sure-grip to me. Maybe it's a clutch type.

1973 Charger SE Brougham Black 400 auto
1974 Charger SE Brougham Blue 318 auto-SOLD

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008 - 11:23:54 PM »
I remember seeing one of these conversions done in an 8-1/4 equipped Dart back some time in Mopar Action magazine. They actually dropped it in to the diff guts with everything in the car. Summary article stated a massive improvement. Apparently there is some small setups (clearances measured, etc) that must be done correctly for the diff unit to operate smoother. Didn't know they made one for an 8-3/4 though.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008 - 12:40:06 AM »
It's mechanical locker with some synchro units which make it bit more "limited" slip type locker. Stroker, are you sure that it was the Traction system they were installing, not the bit older lock-right? I don't know why they named locker as a "traction system" because atleast for me it confuses somewhat. I think that something with a name of "traction systems" would indicate that it just a class of different type of lockup units but in this case it is just one type. They have this traction system for even dana 60, in fact they use same locker for 8 3/4" and dana, or atleast the part number is the same.

I will do some googling about the subject and report here if others are interested.
1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008 - 10:23:05 PM »
No ! That one pictured looks like the one in the magazine article I read some time back. They say on the www link here "no need to set up the ring and pinion", which means it drops into the guts of an open diff like in the magazine thread I read. I just thought it was not available for an 8-3/4. I don't know how weak or strong they are but from the lack of hearing about them in high horsepower applications I would say they are for he lower HP applications like a worked 318 or stock 340. I may be wrong though.
Barry (Salmon Arm)