Author Topic: I have a dumb dash question - there, I said it...  (Read 3105 times)

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
I have a dumb dash question - there, I said it...
« on: January 23, 2008 - 05:22:36 PM »
Hey guys (and gals,)

I'm looking for straight-laced opinions...

I found this on ebay - it's actually being sold by the same guy I just picked up my a/c ducting for my 73 ebody.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=021&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=310015734048&rd=1

Guy's askin' $700 for this complete dash - I mean this thing has the switches, the gauges, bezel, ashtray, ALL the wiring, even the factory radio!!

I WANT this thing - I'd love to start over with at least some uncooked wires, and the radio especially (I actually need to go back to the factory wiring because mine has been so badly bastardized...)

My QUESTION is this - my dash is in decent shape - not this good, but decent.  What do you think I'd be able to get if I parted my dash out (things like the glove box door, the gauges which all work, the headlight switch and bezel - in good shape,) could I at least get SOME of this money back?  Swapping out a dash on these cars isn't impossible - I could swap it out this summer even before Carlisle...

My wife really wants to get it for me, but we've gotta recoup some of the money this time.  With the engine and knee-jerk a/c duct purchase, we're tight.

What do you guys think?  I'm also thinking of waiting for it to end and if it has no bidders, offering the guy maybe $600.  Thing is I know it's worth $700...

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline purple1

• Worlds first e-body trailer. Member since 3/10/05
Re: I have a dumb dash question - there, I said it...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008 - 05:39:40 PM »
I don't like the dash cap on it... There I said it...

Dave :wave:

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer.    Severna Park, Maryland

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008 - 05:42:50 PM »
Ummm what's wrong with the one that you have?  I would look for a rallye dash cluster if I was going to change it out.   :2cents:

Offline Fred

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008 - 05:49:38 PM »
I don't like the dash cap on it... There I said it...

Ditto

Offline Black340

• 1973 challenger 340 4 Speed
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008 - 05:54:21 PM »
I think that it depends on the condition of your dash and also if you want to keep the original look on your car regarding the dash or upgrating to a rallye like Cruzing mention..only my opinon :2cents:

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008 - 06:10:11 PM »
As far as recouping money from your dash, I don't think you will get nearly enough to help offset the cost of the "new" dash.  Your gauges won't get more than $50, the glove box door and stuff will be nickel and dime money, and you dash pad and frame maybe another $75-$100 if in decent shape.  As far as going to a rallye dash, that is what I am doing to and am very excited about it, but again you can figure on paying at least $700+ for the dash setup, not including if you have to restore the gauges themselves.  This is probably not what you wanted to hear, but I hope it helps with your decision.

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008 - 06:13:29 PM »
I like the original - it's what my dad had.  I've seen the rallye's and never really had any "gushy feelings," ya know?  Some parts of these cars are incredible nostalgia for me - the dash, the hood, the seats, the steering wheel...  When I saw that my didnt' have the factory wheel I went and bought one on ebay before I had even bought the car.  In fact it was another 3 months before I bought the car!  Of course then I learned I had put on quite a few pounds and can't really fit between the stock (non tilt) wheel and the seat...   :crying:

What's wrong with the dash cap?  It looks the same as mine...

I don't like my dash because it has the "Cuda Crack" down the middle, and the fit and finish of my dash panels is pretty poor after countless R&R's.  Plus this has the factory radio, which though I don't plan on keeping, sure is kinda cool to have, don't you think?  I don't think they even had FM back in 72, did they?...

Well, the original question was basically "Can I get some money back by parting out my old dash."  What do you guys think about that?

Thanks,
Jeff

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008 - 06:17:35 PM »
As far as recouping money from your dash, I don't think you will get nearly enough to help offset the cost of the "new" dash.  Your gauges won't get more than $50, the glove box door and stuff will be nickel and dime money, and you dash pad and frame maybe another $75-$100 if in decent shape.  As far as going to a rallye dash, that is what I am doing to and am very excited about it, but again you can figure on paying at least $700+ for the dash setup, not including if you have to restore the gauges themselves.  This is probably not what you wanted to hear, but I hope it helps with your decision.

Eh, old cars are old cars.  It's always a struggle.  I was kinda hoping to find maybe $300 out of my old dash (frame is fine, pad is useless.)  I'd never expect to get 700 out of it.  I guess the fact that mine ISN'T rallye probably doesn't help it much.  I dunno why everyone's so ga-ga over the Rallye dashes...  :)

Well, it's food for thought, at least.  I still say it's a good deal if it's actually as good as he says it is.  I just can't snatch up every good Mopar part I find...

Jeff

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008 - 06:24:48 PM »
As far as buying the dash, it does look nice and seems like a pretty good deal.  Since the BIN is $850, his reserve is probably at least $800.  If there are no bids by the end of the auction, you would probably have to offer at least $700 to get any kind of response back.

On a side note, if you don't mind the cap, why don't you just get one for yours?  A fresh coat of paint on the lower dash (metal parts) and a new cap will pretty much get you the same thing as what's being auctioned.  I think you can find a new harness pretty cheap on Ebay, also.

This looks like just what you need: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-AAR-Cuda-Challenger-NON-RALLYE-WIRING-HARNESS_W0QQitemZ160200936689QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160200936689

Offline purple1

• Worlds first e-body trailer. Member since 3/10/05
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008 - 06:30:24 PM »
Jeff, that dash cap is covering a very cracked up dash. I looked at the pictures real good. The raido is nice, and it has the a/c stuff. But you already have that stuff. It is hard to tell if the wires are all good or not in the pitures, but it does look like it has all or most of it intact.

It is not a bad price if you like the cap.

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer.    Severna Park, Maryland

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008 - 06:32:45 PM »
Jeff,

Just my 2 pennies here, but Non-Ralley gauges go for much less than $100. A dashcap is about $115. So what are you really buying here? You have the frame. Have you seen and felt a dashcap?   :eek4:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008 - 06:53:25 PM »
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a new dash CAP - not a new dash PAD....

I see what you're saying now - yeah I guess that makes it not quite such a good deal.  D A M N !!!!

Man...  I was all set...

Alright guys - thanks for the education.  :)

Jeff

Offline Black340

• 1973 challenger 340 4 Speed
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008 - 06:57:14 PM »

Man...  I was all set...

Jeff

:nono:

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008 - 07:02:03 PM »
Hey - at least I asked before running out and buying it.  Sheesh.  Can't I just mourn in peace? 

:)

Jeff

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008 - 07:04:00 PM »

That's a new dash CAP - not a new dash PAD....

I see what you're saying now - yeah I guess that makes it not quite such a good deal.  D A M N !!!!

Man...  I was all set...

Alright guys - thanks for the education.  :)

Jeff

Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!