Author Topic: How about these? - Changed my mind - new design (again)...  (Read 6892 times)

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
How about these? - Changed my mind - new design (again)...
« on: January 23, 2008 - 07:17:54 PM »
So, with the interest of at least SOMEWHAT "improving" my Mopar before Carlisle this year, I've been heavily considering buying a set of che... ...inexpensive wheels to fit the tires I already have (so that I don't have to buy new tires.)  Because of the fact that eventually I'm going 18" or so, I'm not going to throw money into a nice set of wheels at the 15" size.

I'm running a 235/70R15 (or maybe 75 ratio - can't remember off hand) with those god-awful "rusted Gold" rims (LOL!!  THERE'S a project name!)

So I was looking at these - a set of 4 shipped is $281 - not a bad deal IMO...  Tell me what you think.  I'll try photo-chopping these onto a Carlisle image this weekend.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findWheelDetail.do?wd=15&pc=52171&rw=8&bp=5-114.3

Jeff
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008 - 10:25:12 AM by 73Barracuda »
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: How about these?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008 - 07:21:57 PM »
Hey "rusted gold",

I wonder about them being 15X8's. I really don't see your tires fitting on there unless they are a 60 series of some kind.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008 - 07:46:22 PM »
Not worrying about the size - I'm going to measure the rims I have at home and just match those, or maybe go an inch thinner to save a little weight.

I worked at Goodyear for nearly 2 years - I can figure out the size.  :)  I just couldn't remember the numbers when I went searching tonight (from work...)

Jeff

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008 - 08:23:42 PM »
Jeff, It seems like your in a hurry to do something that I think afterward you might regret, The black steel wheels would look down to business & all but I just wonder what the wheels you have now might look like with a little makeover......Last summer I took my sister-in-laws stock light silver painted Infinty wheels that were looking pretty shabby, painted the center & caps in a dark charcoal then "machined" the outer rim...changed the look of the car dramatically for the better cost about 12 bucks in wheel paint & 1/2 day work.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008 - 08:47:51 PM »
My name is Mike. And yes, I've run Truck/Stock Car Wheels on my 'Cuda.  :rofl:

For the same reasons, i wanted 15s at the time but needed new tires on my rallyes, so i stuck these on there.

They didn't look half bad for $45ea. They've since been put to use on my daily driver  :lol:

Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline cowboy

• Denmark
    • CowboyCars.dk
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008 - 08:21:55 AM »

They didn't look half bad for $45ea. They've since been put to use on my daily driver  :lol:

And thats where they belong.....   :ylsuper:
MoPar's for Cruizin, Racing & Pro-touring: www.CowboyCars.dk

1930 Plymouth Hot Rod wannabe - 1957 DeSoto Fireflite Sportsman - 1967 RaceCuda  -  1968 Barracuda  -  1971 Challenger R/T Conv.

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008 - 08:24:44 AM »
Jeff,
 :iagree: with cowboy on this one buddy........................... :eek4:

Please please do not put them on, go get some standard looking 15" steelies paint bomb them Black and use them for now please buddy. :-\
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008 - 08:44:15 AM »
Don't use those! I heard you say something about saving weight? Thase Cragar Soft 8's are about the heaviest dang wheel out there. I should know, I have some. I needed at least 17" wheels to clear my big Wilwood brakes and bought them to get car rolling. They work great for that but when it gets going under it's own power I am biting the bullit for billit.
I was amazed at how heavy thesew were. It would be a SERIOUS detriment to performance. These are truck wheels. Once I am done I will try to sell them to a Ford or Dodge truck guy.

Seriously though, they are made for trucks. They are in the truck wheel section in Scummit Racing.

Seriously.

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008 - 08:48:01 AM »
You cant look on all the discount tire and wheel websites and just plug in "Mustang" and a ton of "affordable" wheels will pop up. Not $50 but much lighter, much lighter.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008 - 11:36:45 AM »
Jeff, It seems like your in a hurry to do something that I think afterward you might regret, The black steel wheels would look down to business & all but I just wonder what the wheels you have now might look like with a little makeover......Last summer I took my sister-in-laws stock light silver painted Infinty wheels that were looking pretty shabby, painted the center & caps in a dark charcoal then "machined" the outer rim...changed the look of the car dramatically for the better cost about 12 bucks in wheel paint & 1/2 day work.

:iagree: A little foot work and a rattle can will save you a couple of bucks and add some life to those rims. 

I could see you doing the rim change if it was a step up in size or if you wanted more flash or something but those rims aren't for my tastes, but that's just my opinion.  :2cents:

If it were me, you could look on your local craigslist and find some used Cragar S/S rims for cheap money for tempoary use if you don't like the rims on your car now.  You could save some $$$ since you're getting some bigger rims in the future anyhows.  I got a set of nice Keystone Klassics with nice tires off a GTX for $250.

Depends on what you like which is most important.  If you like the black rims, then just go for it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008 - 11:39:56 AM by Super Blue 72 »
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008 - 11:49:07 AM »
In PA, good for temporary use at least:

These are aftermarket for a Jeep but it might be the same bolt pattern, check the BS though.
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pts/541159558.html 

Slotted mags, may be unilug design, need polishing...I like slotted mags on occasion...  :dunno:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pts/547548037.html

MOPAR steel wheels---$80 (4) 15x7
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pts/523915737.html

14" Magnums..
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pts/527382851.html

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008 - 02:11:14 PM »
I was amazed at how heavy these were. It would be a SERIOUS detriment to performance. These are truck wheels.

On another web board I frequent there are regular conversations about wheel weights and size. A lot of these guys are of the bigger is better mind set and a good number of them use 19 and 20 inch wheels. When designing a car, using this large and heavy a wheel can be compensated for when buying parts such as higher spring rates and bigger brakes. But, simply bolting a larger and heavier wheel on a otherwise stock car can have a rather significant impact on performance. I think we have all heard about the 3:1 rule about sprung vs unsprung weight where 1 pound of unsprung weight is the equivilent of 3 pounds of sprung weight in relationship to performance. When that unsprung weight is calculated as a rotational moment of inertia as the end of a lever arm, the gain is even greater and is in the neighborhood of 75:1. So that means if you add an extra pound of weight far out from the hub, as in going from a 15 inch wheel to a 18 wheel, you can impact performance the same amount as if you added 75 pounds of sprung weight to the car. So changing an entire set of wheels can be the same as adding 300 pounds to your car. So you end up in a situation where you have to spend significantly more and more money to restore or equalize performance to a vehicle simply to have a certain look.

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
Re: How about these? - Changed my mind - new design...
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008 - 02:31:42 PM »
Actually my wife and I were looking at the wheels last night - I wanted to show 'em to her, and we scrolled a little lower down the screen, these showed up...

I think they look a little less truck-ish, and I really like the silver outer rim.

See, I already rattle canned the wheels I have now - the silver I painted them with dulled by that night and looked like crap.  I mean they looked better than they DID, but just didn't fit the bill.

I could - as my General Manager sadly puts it - "Take chicken $hit and make chicken salad..."  but then all you get is a pretty $hitty chicken salad.

And besides, on my "newbie" post on to this board, people told me to get rid of those wheels.  :)  I'm just doin' what y'all said!!  No seriously though, I hate my wheels.

So okay, I'll nix the Cragar 8's - what about these MB's?  They're more expensive, but even the WIFE wants me to get them.  :)

Jeff

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008 - 04:51:28 PM »
Those are definately truck wheels. They will weigh alot.

1) how much do they weigh
2) Do they make 5 on 4.5" lugs

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008 - 04:59:38 PM »
What wheels do you have right now? If you like the design you have powder coating as an option. There are 1,000,000,000,000 powder colors out there.

If you just don't like the wheels, why not get some that you want but please don't get a truck wheel unless, like myself, you just need it to roll araound the garage. I got mine for that reason and never had performance driving with them in mind. On the upside they would serve as excellent "cheap" temporary rollers.
There are plenty of people with those Mustang wheels they took off to upgrade to a better looking wheel. You could try to score some of those cheap. And you could use them for longer than temporary. I bet you could find some for less than $70 a wheel and they look great painted black with a polished outer. They require a little work in the hub area if I remember but it is a lighter alternative.
I think Goody has them on his 'cuda now.