Author Topic: Pulse plugs.  (Read 3740 times)

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Pulse plugs.
« on: January 24, 2008 - 04:50:40 PM »
I saw this in a magazine ad a few weeks back. It's another attempt to build a better mouse trap, but I wonder if there is any validity to it.  :dunno:

Any opinions?

Mike

http://www.pulstarplug.com/horsepower.html

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Re: Pulse plugs.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008 - 05:13:58 PM »
Looks interesting.  :thumbsup:  Thanks for sharing.

My first though when I saw all that "spark" in the comparison to regular plugs is that it would make a lot of heat.  Then I saw the disclaimer that said it is only for stock, unmodified engines.

I guess it makes sense in that if you can burn up more of the ar/fuel mixture that enters into the combustion chamber, in heory, you'll make more horsepower. 

It's sort of taking a different approach to increasing HP than superchargers/turbos.  Instead of increasing volumetric efficiency, it's taking what's there and making it more efficient. 

Interesting...who'll be the first?   :misbehaving:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008 - 05:35:24 PM »
I just checked the price for my car. $24.99 per plug!!!   :money:
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008 - 09:46:23 PM »
Save your cash for a high power spark box and use $2.49 NGK racing plugs from Summit

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008 - 10:11:58 PM »
$199.92 plus shipping for a set of 8.  :scared:

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

nivvy

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008 - 10:37:04 PM »
looks like a fancy gimmick to me..

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008 - 12:19:15 AM »
Save your cash for a high power spark box and use $2.49 NGK racing plugs from Summit

And file back the negative electrode (so the positive is more exposed) for another 5 hp!
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline Black340

• 1973 challenger 340 4 Speed
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008 - 12:22:55 AM »
$199.92 plus shipping for a set of 8.  :scared:

:iagree: :scared:

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008 - 12:29:38 AM »
If you have time and want a good read about cylinder pressure and spark read this:

http://www.castensdynojet.com/insiders.htm

How does an electric spark ignite fuel? Actually, nobody is quite sure. Three long-standing theories exist. The first, the thermal theory, has been around the longest but has recently lost ground to the other two, as new, more sophisticated tests are run. The thermal theory states that ignition is simply a factor of the heat of the spark, and that it occurs in much the same way as if the air/fuel mixture were lit with a burning match. This theory has been somewhat (although not entirely) discounted by recent data compiled on electronic ignitions, which have the ability to tailor a spark's duration (burn time), intensity (strength, measured in amps) and phase angle to dictate when during the spark duration the highest intensity will be delivered. The ability to control ignition through factors other than thermal energy has led to the metal fragmentation and ping pong theories.
The metal fragmentation theory states that highly ionized electrons rip metal fragments from the sparkplug's electrodes as they migrate across the plug gap, collide with the hydrocarbon molecule (gasoline), and act as a catalyst to the burning process. Supporters of this theory allude to tests that show how variations in the electrode's metal composition will enhance certain ignition properties. As a practical example, Champion sparkplug electrodes with a relatively soft metal composition allow for large amounts of metal fragmentation, which enhance the plug's ability to burn through large quantities of fouling contaminants. This formula is useful for engines that have a fouling problem, although the plug's soft electrodes tend to wear down relatively quickly. At the opposite end of the scale are Autolite plugs, which feature a hardened metal composition electrode with long-wear characteristics for engines that don't have a serious fouling problem.
The ping pong theory states that fuel ignition is accomplished when electrons from the spark collide with hydrocarbon molecules as they migrate across the electrode gap, splitting the positively charged protons from the molecule, which in turn collide with other molecules, triggering ignition. Although fuel ignition may well be a combination of all three theories, recent trends lean toward a combination of the ping pong and metal fragmentation concepts.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008 - 12:34:03 AM by Topcat »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008 - 03:46:28 AM »
A friend with a SS/D Hemi Cuda took all the popular spark plugs to the dyno to test to see if any plug would deliver more power as 2-3 Hp is worth it to a SS driver , his results were interesting , , the more a spark plug cost the more power he lost , Splitfires cost him 24 HP , the $1.50 Champs & Autolites yeilded top HP , if somone wants to try the pulse plugs on a dyno & post the results I would be interested in seeing it

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008 - 07:16:58 AM »
Pulse plugs incorporate a pulse circuit, which stores incoming electrical energy from the ignition system and releases the stored energy in a powerful pulse of power.

Isn't that what the coil does ? 

Maybe it should read:

"Pulse plugs incorporate a pulse circuit, which stores incoming $$$$$$ and releases the stored $$$$$$ in a burst of vacation in the Bahamas"

P.G.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008 - 07:21:06 AM by Pistol Gripper »
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline LAA66

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008 - 09:37:40 AM »
A friend with a SS/D Hemi Cuda took all the popular spark plugs to the dyno to test to see if any plug would deliver more power as 2-3 Hp is worth it to a SS driver , his results were interesting , , the more a spark plug cost the more power he lost , Splitfires cost him 24 HP , the $1.50 Champs & Autolites yeilded top HP , if somone wants to try the pulse plugs on a dyno & post the results I would be interested in seeing it

That's very interesting Chryco. I had always thought it was a trade off. By being frugal using Champions I was missing out on a few HP's. :grinno:   

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008 - 01:10:24 PM »
all fo the more expensive plugs cost some HP , even NGK V groove & Bosch platinum cost some power
 I found the test interesting as well & I am sure most of the plug maker do not want you to to know this info otherwise all the high $$ plugs would never sell 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008 - 06:56:12 PM »
looks like a fancy gimmick to me..

Stroker, those don't look like fancy gimmicks to me!
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008 - 11:32:33 PM »
the $1.50 Champs & Autolites yeilded top HP

I've always used autolites with out any trouble. I've been told that they are the cheapest, hardest metal, crap plug out there. But since I subscribe the metal fragmentation theory of ignition, I have no problem with them having hard electrodes in them.

IMO, the only reason to use any of these multiple ground strap, multiple electrode, hype stuff is to avoid changing your plugs in the recommended intervals. If you ever look at a very used plug, the electrode is rounded. Sparks like to jump to/from sharp edges. Add more edges for the spark to jump around on and you reduce the erosion of any one spot and move it around the rest of the electrode so the edges last longer.