Pulse plugs.

Author Topic: Pulse plugs.  (Read 3735 times)

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
Re: Pulse plugs.
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008 - 11:48:05 PM »
all fo the more expensive plugs cost some HP , even NGK V groove & Bosch platinum cost some power
 I found the test interesting as well & I am sure most of the plug maker do not want you to to know this info otherwise all the high $$ plugs would never sell 

:iagree:
The mfg's need to keep re marketing themselves with something new or innovative sounding. Ignition parts is one of their easiest ways to do that.

Take a look at Splitfire. Remember when they were all the rage? Hardly hear about them anymore. If they were such a hot product, don't you think that word of mouth would be preaching about them? That buyers would keep repeating their use? I've never had anyone come up and say to me "Ya gotta try these Splitfires out, they're awesome plugs."
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008 - 02:27:09 AM »
True , I have never had anyone recommend Spiltfire plues or center force clutches to me personally , just the hype advertising telling us to buy it

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008 - 10:06:42 AM »
I have the Bosch +4's in my Stratus - waiting for the right amount of time to go pulling the intake and replacing them with factory Mopar plugs.

As far as the 'Cuda's concerned, she'll probably get autolite Platinum's - for an old car like these, it's easy to go over the top with plugs.  Simpler can be better.

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008 - 10:17:01 AM »
Iridium and Platinum plugs are a waste of money on our cars, in my opinion. You actually gain more spark using the copper plugs, they do wear out faster, but how often are these cars really driven to begin with? Fragmentation occurs with copper plugs (tiny parts of flaming copper flaking off) help ignite the charge. They are good for longetivity, emissions compliance, and they really work well in hot hot cylinder temperatures, and definately dont use them in nitrous applications due to the small spark face.

Splitfires, +4's, the multi electrode plugs really dont do what they claim. Electricity is lazy, it will pick one electrode and fire off that one based on cylinder turbulance and pressure. The other three, or however many electrodes, actually shroud the propgation phase of ignition, increasing the time propogation to occur.

Stick with coppers, save the money from the plats or iridiums and change your $15 set of coppers a few times .. :2cents:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008 - 10:18:37 AM by GoodysGotaCuda »
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008 - 03:07:01 PM »
lump these in with fuel magnets or the 100mpg carburetor that was killed off by the oil companies or toilet paper oil filters.
Still only takes one spark, at the right time to light the mixture. I would only run platinums or iridiums if you are concerned about fouling plugs as those are a little more resistant to fouling.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008 - 05:06:29 PM »
from a chemical standpoint Platinum can enhance the burn but it needs to separate from the plug to do this
I have never seen any advantage using Platinum 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2008 - 02:39:08 PM »
I saw this in a magazine ad a few weeks back. It's another attempt to build a better mouse trap, but I wonder if there is any validity to it.  :dunno:

Any opinions?

Mike

http://www.pulstarplug.com/horsepower.html

I know this is an old thread but thought this would be worth sharing.

I was just watching Horsepower TV. They put these on a newer Corvette and dyno'd it with OEM replacements and then vs. the Pulstars. It showed a 9 HP increase and 7 lbs torque on the engine starting at the 4,200 RPM range. Then it evened out being both equal HP #'s. 0-3,500 RPM didn't show any significant improvements.

Their conclusion was that increased performance would vary per your application.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2008 - 03:30:12 PM »
I saw that  :clueless: they said "we reset the computer in the car" I bet if they did that with the oem plugs they would run better at first also.  :dunno:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline 73challenger_TN

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2008 - 03:42:48 PM »
I know this is an old thread but thought this would be worth sharing.

I was just watching Horsepower TV. They put these on a newer Corvette and dyno'd it with OEM replacements and then vs. the Pulstars. It showed a 9 HP increase and 7 lbs torque on the engine starting at the 4,200 RPM range. Then it evened out being both equal HP #'s. 0-3,500 RPM didn't show any significant improvements.

Their conclusion was that increased performance would vary per your application.
They could have thrown a bag of ice on the intake before the run....Would you pay 200$ for 9 hp?  I'm just saying...

nivvy

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2008 - 03:48:39 PM »
They could have thrown a bag of ice on the intake before the run....Would you pay 200$ for 9 hp?  I'm just saying...

that is a good deal... 9 HP for $200 ..... the average these days is $30 per hP i believe.... but only if you never had to change them for the rest of your cars life  :lol2:

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2008 - 11:01:52 AM »
In the big old white DC race manual they had a great take on exactly what you need from spark plugs. "They should fire and ignite the charge".   :thumbsup:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2008 - 01:12:28 PM »
My observations... I'm curious how long the capacitor in them lasts... I'd think if that is hurt, you have a dead plug. Also, the capacitive discharge ignition boxes.. lIke MSD, and Crane, and Jacobs, all do multiple sparks with longer burn times and use coils that can survive the work. The ad says stock ignition only. I'd think really they are trying to capture energy without getting the coil hot. Wonder if that works well... I like Autolites for 90% of everything. but I do like the Vgrooves. My feeling is not life, but sharp edges throw the best spark, and take the least energy to start. But the wear(dull) rapidly. I also find the ceramic on NGKs to be easier to read than Autolites, especially with minor changes. For only $1-2 more each, i run them in more race oriented stuff. Champions are a little shorter than autolites, so they can clean headers easier in some cases.

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2008 - 05:03:00 PM »
I don't think I have ever seen one of these "Snake Oil" gimmicks pan out.  JC Whitney catalog is full of them.   If it was so easy why would companies like Chrysler go through all the trouble and added exspense to do something like disable cylinders in the new hemi for 1~2 miles per gallon?

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2008 - 02:15:22 AM »
So I wasted my $$$ on that tornado?  :clueless:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2008 - 12:15:04 PM »
lol.. some of those work for fuel economy. Unfortunately, they work by restricting air flow...lol. Think like a small port intake and throttle response...  The import guys love them because it makes the engine snappier...lol. slower overall, but snapier.