Author Topic: lets lose the drums...  (Read 1975 times)

Offline GhettoPop

• I need a new pair of hookers
lets lose the drums...
« on: February 14, 2004 - 02:08:15 AM »
i want to convert my 72 chally from all 4 drums to discs.  i plan on purchasing a new complete kit, and i know there are a ton of companies that make these, wilwood, ss brakes, etc. but which are the best disc kits?  do i need rear discs? i know manual brakes give u more road feel but power is nice.  this will be for a mostly street car...drums are too weak for me....so many decisions...any advise? thanks in advance
MOPAR 4 LIFE!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re:lets lose the drums...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004 - 02:23:52 AM »
You will want a vented street rotor, the non vented race ones will warp you also need a parking brake to be street legal  

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline GhettoPop

• I need a new pair of hookers
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004 - 03:13:41 AM »
thanks for the quick reply, any brands better than the rest?
MOPAR 4 LIFE!

Offline budrinker

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004 - 01:02:03 PM »
horsepowerTV just had that green 69 in for brakes cant remeber what they used........but im sure they spent over a billion dollars any way.

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2004 - 03:27:53 PM »
Hate those HP guys and what they did to that B-cuda

What about just upgrading to stock front dics?
Shouldn't be hard to locate a B-body 4 door mid '70s
A-body and go to town.......

Offline Autophile

• Kowalski... and the keys to a sawed-off weekend!
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2004 - 04:10:29 PM »
I don't have any experience with the other brake vendors out there, so I won't draw comparisons with them. But I just bought a set of front and rear Wilwood disks for my 71 Cuda, and I think they are great! The car originally had 11"x3" drums front, 11"x2.5" drums rear, and the new brakes come in about 80 pounds lighter (total). :o They make the car stop quickly and smoothly, where, before, the drums would make the car veer erratically and give the steering wheel a "loose" feel. I think you can't go wrong with any setup, as it will be MUCH better than the drums.

Oh, including the new master cylinder, snap ring bearings, and lines, the total cost was about $1400.
1971 Cuda, black/black, 419 cu. in. 3G Hemi with twin turbos (build in progress), AlterKtion, Wilwood 12.19" disks, billet Rallye wheels