Author Topic: anyone with a t56???  (Read 8477 times)

Offline cttnweary

Re: anyone with a t56???
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008 - 03:18:50 PM »
how did the kiesler swap go? how long did it take? what tools were needed? any pics of the process/finished product.

sleepychallenger

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008 - 03:27:46 PM »
when they sent me a quote, i think they put the price for the 5 speed and an option for the 6 speed

my bad, i was thinking the TKO 600

Offline Confederate Cuda

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008 - 03:43:46 PM »
how did the kiesler swap go? how long did it take? what tools were needed? any pics of the process/finished product.

I will see if I can find any pictures. It is hard to say how much time as my project is still not compete but I have had it in the car for the mock up. It should be an easy swap. Are you doing a auto coverstion? If so, that takes a litte more time as you have to change the pedels and I also used a hydraulic throwout bering so you will have to mount a resivor somewhere.

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2008 - 01:40:08 AM »
I had found them before - I think they were in the 5K range.  I can't find them now.

I did however find this extensive article - didn't have time to read it all myself though.

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2005/05/01/hmn_feature21.html

Jeff

Thanks for the article  :2thumbs:

I will see if I can find any pictures.

:popcorn:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008 - 09:06:19 PM »
I've been researching this also for my Challenger with a 6.1 hemi. I've got another thread on here somewhere about it but nobody had done this conversion personally either. Most of the cars with T-56 transmissions that I've seen in print or on the web seem to use a non-stock shifter location that appear to be more centered and forward. If you look on XV's site and look at the Blue convert you'll see it there with their non stock console. Also pictures of some of Matt Delaney's cars (the black Cuda they called the Hemi AAR) seem to use a non e-body pistol grip. These are just observations---I could be way wrong. I do know you have to remove/modify/cut-out the torsion bar crossmember at the center and basically build around the transmission with a new tunnel.

I've come across low mile Viper transmissions for less than $1,500 locally on Craigs list before. Does anyone know if the Viper input shaft is the same as other mopars?

Also Quicktime has a very large selection of steel bell housings also.

Anyone?

Offline cttnweary

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2008 - 12:37:33 AM »
I have decided I am building a 512 stroker for the car and would still like to have a 6spd, any recomendations, sites, or anything that will help me figure out what parts I need and some pointers?

Offline Travis72

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008 - 02:18:11 AM »
Here's the best thread I've seen on T-56 installs.  MoparCar has posted some good info in this thread as well:

http://www.bigblockdart.com/index.php/topic,23139.0.html

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2008 - 10:20:57 PM »
Start by reading the whole post that Travis72 posted the link to big block dart for. Although many of the items are for A-bodies they still apply. No matter what you do on a e-body with a T-56 it looks like you'll have to get creative with the torsion bar cross member. Are you using an Alterkation or other non-torsion front? If so, look at the pictures posted in the http://www.bigblockdart.com/index.php/topic,23139.0.html
thread by Bill Reilly of Alterkation fame. He show's a Challenger they installed a T-56 into. I believe this is the Viper motored Challenger they did with Delaney, but it's still the same for the install and clearance. Notice they cut the torsion crossmember mostly out, boxed it, angle braced and welded it together with the subframe connectors. Then they made a new crossmember/tranny support combo back further. The T-56 is large and needs to go up further than an equivalent 5-speed TKO 600 especially to get everything aligned from pinion angle, to headers, etc. Some headers on TKO 600 installs angle too far down and that's a smaller transmission.

If you're planning on doing this, you'll need to extremely modify the crossmember or make a new one. The whole tunnel will have to be removed and raised for modifications/clearance, plus the shifter probably won't fit anywhere near the console if you plan on a stock one. Companies like Steeda and others offer a lot of offset shifters too. Just search out T-56 shifters.

Look at Quicktime bell housing site. They offer several versions of their bellhousing for the Mopar T-56 swap. One uses the Viper tranny and the other uses the GM LS1 tranny. The viper is set up for a stock fork and slave where as the GM uses the hydraulic throwout bearing. Pilot bushings need to be changed also. Quicktimes bells are a bit smaller around than Lakewood, McLeod, etc. and might make the clearance a little better.

The new TR6060 is being put in most of the new high performance cars like the Viper, Shelby, Vette?, and maybe others. It has a higher output and better synchos but has an intergrated bell housing. Tremec is coming out with the same transmission with the standard T-56 bolt pattern which will work with the aftermarket SFI bellhousings such as Quicktime. They are calling this the T-56 Magnum and is supposed to be available to Tremec dealers around June/July?

I lot of this info came from Quicktime. They were very helpful. Currently I'd like to do this transmission on my build. It would be behind a 6.1L Hemi but would be very similiar in the install.

I hope the guys from Classic Mopar 5-Speed chime in. Please correct clarify anything I have stated wrong :) I believe they are a Master Tremec dealer and will sell T-56 boxes also?

Anybody else got ideas/installs on this? I'd love to see some more pictures.

Wes