Author Topic: AAR hood latch/spring?  (Read 3307 times)

Offline BacardiCBR

AAR hood latch/spring?
« on: February 03, 2008 - 12:40:53 PM »
I've looked at several pictures of AAR engine bays and never see a latch or spring.  I knew a latch would not be needed, as the hood pins retain the hood.  However, after the hood pins are pulled, how does one go about lifting the hood if there is no spring to push the hood up slightly so you can get your hand under it?  I've heard that some put their hand in the AAR scoop and lift up.  Has anyone come up with a different way?  My scoop has a screen in it  :cheers:

'70 AAR Tribute Car

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
Re: AAR hood latch/spring?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008 - 01:22:17 PM »
The Trans Am cars had lighter springs at the rear of the hood.

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline BacardiCBR

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008 - 02:03:48 PM »
Thanks MJ, but I'm not talking about the hinges.  I have the lighter springs on those.  I'm talking about the "pop-up" spring.
'70 AAR Tribute Car

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008 - 02:30:48 PM »
No Push up spring. Most people just grab the scoop opening and pull up the hood.
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline BacardiCBR

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008 - 03:24:14 PM »
Gatcha.  Has anyone come up with a different method?  My scoop has a screen in it, preventing me from lifting there.  Wonder how they open the hood on sick fish, or some of the other aar clones with screened scoops?
'70 AAR Tribute Car

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008 - 07:13:11 PM »
Get two very lightweight springs and slip them over your hood pins. If you can find a set the right size that will do the trick for you.

Offline MJB

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008 - 10:37:12 AM »
Why can't you use the standard pop up spring/latch with the AAR hood??    This thread is good timing since I am just about ready to install my neww AAR hood....using my stock latch and pop up spring.  It looks like it will work fine but I have not actually tried it yet.  I am using the lightweight hinge springs.  I don't have hood pins yet but I may add them in the future....or I may add them quicker than I had planned depending on what kind of responses I get.
Thanks-

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008 - 10:47:52 AM »
i like that spring over pin idea, Genius!!!!!
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008 - 10:53:22 AM »
Why can't you use the standard pop up spring/latch with the AAR hood??    This thread is good timing since I am just about ready to install my neww AAR hood....using my stock latch and pop up spring.  It looks like it will work fine but I have not actually tried it yet.  I am using the lightweight hinge springs.  I don't have hood pins yet but I may add them in the future....or I may add them quicker than I had planned depending on what kind of responses I get.
Thanks-

If you are going to screw into fiberglass for the hood latch and not pin it I think you will be looking for a new hood also. just my .02
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008 - 10:56:02 AM »
 :iagree: if you think about the weight pulling on a hood that is just screwed into, not sandwiched through like the pins do. there is a reason, other than looks, that these fiberglass hoods require pins.
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008 - 04:46:40 PM »
I got both Latch an Pins on my hood.  Just have to remember to pull the pins before pulling the latch.  The hood came with inserts for the latch bar.  I also got a lightweight pop up spring too.

Tom :2thumbs:
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline BacardiCBR

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008 - 08:50:12 PM »
I had actually thought of the spring over the pins idea as well  :cheers:  I like that plan too, but wanted to make sure I wasn't just overthinking it.  I figured that I'd do it by finding just the right size/tension springs and then cap them with washers and insert a dowel pin (through the pin) to hold them in place for a completed look.  Hope that makes sense.  I'll post pics when they're in.  Thanks for the replies! 
'70 AAR Tribute Car

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008 - 03:07:56 AM »
I took my latch and spring out of my AAR clone. I just reach into my scoop and give it a little lift then get my fingers under the hood. Not really a big deal. The hood is light. But I do like the Idea of springs under the pins. that might work.
70 cuda, 440, KB pistons, 10.5:1 compression, edlebrock heads,RacerBrown cam, 5-Speed Tremec, Megasquirt EFI