Author Topic: SHOP TALK: rebuilding floor jacks  (Read 1176 times)

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
SHOP TALK: rebuilding floor jacks
« on: February 03, 2008 - 04:31:56 PM »
This would be great topic if we had a garage talk forum. Anyhow, I bought my 3ton floor jack from Sams over 10 years ago and its been the best $60 I ever spent. However, its leaking now and where I leave it, theres a small puddle of oil. Its an Allied brand jack, cant see any maint instructions on it, I am not even sure what type of flud it takes.

Maybe you rebuilt your jack recently? Got any tips? Wil have to check Google and see if I can find a manufacturers link somewhere
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: SHOP TALK: rebuilding floor jacks
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008 - 12:41:42 AM »
it would take regular hyd fluid , I have had no luck rebuilding floor jacks & mine just started leaking in th elast 2 days

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008 - 03:57:34 AM »
  A couple of years ago I to had a jack that started to leak a little, my local jack repairer couldn't get a kit for it in a hurry but told me to use ATF fluid. I filled it up and it worked fine, still weeped a little. It kept me going for quite some time and didn't damage the jack or seals.   :woohoo:
Dave

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008 - 03:19:38 PM »
A hydraulic shop may carry an o-ring kit (universal with assorted sizes and cross-sections). There's a shop here in my town that carries specialty tools and makes custom hydraulic hoses and also carries a universal kit. They come in handy and I have one in my garage. Most of the seals should be just a Buna-n or flourocarbon type o-ring. You should be able to remove the old o-ring and match it up by I.D. and cross section to a replacement one. It may take a little hit and miss on the size to get the right fit. I also think Sears used to carry a universal o-ring kit as a special order catalogue item. Good luck!!

Matt B.
Matt

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008 - 10:12:51 PM »
I had the same problem with an old jack 2 years ago.  I went to Sams and bout another one for $85 and it has the quick-lift feature. The first 1/2 pump lifts the jack all the way up to the frame.  A very nice feature.  Throw the old one away or give it to someone that has the time to fix it. I'm sure that you have MANY other things to do.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008 - 07:15:23 AM »
your probably right!
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008 - 02:10:28 PM »
I have a old Hien-Werner true 1 1/2 ton jack. It's got to be over 30yrs old and I used the hell out of it. I had it rebuilt twice over the years and still works great. The jacks today most are junk. They say 2 or 3 tons but they are probably 1 to 1 1/2 ton jacks. (so over rated). Remember you get what you pay for.

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008 - 03:29:48 PM »
Wel I hate to give up on her after all the faithful years she has worked for me. What kind of hydraulic fluid? Like trans or power steering fluid or?
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008 - 03:45:09 PM »
well scratch that, I just found the manual and the included rebuild kit for it. "use hydraulic jack oil only"  :blah:
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger