Author Topic: my new challenger...well sorta  (Read 1317 times)

Offline chrisII

my new challenger...well sorta
« on: February 07, 2008 - 08:55:15 AM »
I had not posted in quite some time , thought I would say hi all. After taking the last 5 years off of racing ive got the bug again. a good friend of mine who has raced mopars for 20 years and I are building this as a joint venture. he is mostly paying for and finding parts while I build the chassis. he will be supplying the engine and rear. have to see what trans goes in it. rather  than use E body front end we are using a 73-79 B body front as parts avalibility is much better. Im not sure what year the chally body will be, my partner will go see the two that we have to choose from this weekend. Im told they are sitting in a fence row and have not moved in many years..most likely I will cut it off at the body line and fab everything below that point.

Offline HP2

• Resident
Re: my new challenger...well sorta
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008 - 02:25:09 PM »
That's an interesting chassis you have there.

Torsion bar selection for the 73-79 may be more challenging than the equivilent E body as they are a different length, but, I think Firm Feel is doing bars for them now, so you might be in luck. If firm Feel can do custom bars, you might consider ditching the B body t-bar sockets and replacing them with C body units as you can get larger bars in that way. Definetly get rid of the rubber isolaters. Also, pitch the B body lower control arms for A body units. They are a half inch longer and will give you more caster/camber than the B body units.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008 - 01:44:07 PM by HP2 »

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008 - 06:02:35 PM »
Wow, this will be quite a progression to watch develop!

Look forward to seeing it happen!

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008 - 10:16:33 PM »

:iagree:
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008 - 10:30:33 PM »
Chris where ya been? Good to see your still kickin' . Intresting project, keep us posted.
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008 - 05:52:44 AM »
  Definetly has potential, won't be sacrificing E body parts to much either but should look the part.   :woo:   :popcorn:
Dave

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008 - 12:19:49 PM »
Looks cool!  WOuld love to see future pics!  :thumbsup:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008 - 12:44:08 PM »
We really need alot more pics of this project!!

:useless:
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline chrisII

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008 - 07:45:23 AM »

Torsion bar selection for the 73-79 may be more challenging than the equivilent E body as they are a different length, but, I think Firm Feel is doing bars for them now, so you might be in luck. If firm Feel can do custom bars, you might consider ditching the B body t-bar sockets and replacing them with C body units as you can get larger bars in that way. Definetly get rid of the rubber isolaters. Also, pitch the B body lower control arms for A body units. They are a half inch longer and will give you more caster/camber than the B body units.

the torshon bar crossmember will be moved forward.they bolt in on the 73-79 and the rest of the trans crosmember is gone , making room to move the engine/ trans back about 9 inches. the right side of it will mount under the frame rail. the left will have a bracket made off the back of the stock framerail under the floor. then I can use the 68-72 B or any E body torshon bars. The lowers on the 73-79 are longer than A body, but I may use an A left side or shorten the stock left as we have a track width limitation in our class. the lowers will be plated for strength. K frame and frame rails will all be tied togehter with plate to stiffen everything together. uppers will be tubular with fab mounts . will be using racing shocks with fabbed mounts also. Im leaning tward cutting off the entire horn that the A frame bracket bolts to as it is in the way of the aftermarket shock.

Offline chrisII

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008 - 07:59:46 AM »
Chris where ya been? Good to see your still kickin' . Intresting project, keep us posted.

Ive had a lot going on with family and my karaoke buisness has gone from one or sometimes two shows a week to now doing 3 shows myself and having my buddy with the grey 73 runner doing a show for me on saturdays also.
   having met my stepson im sure you can amagine how excited he is about this new project. He and I spent all last weds working on this as the kids were off school for the snow. I did all the welding and grinding but he was a big help in getting the stub on straight. this chassis was raced last year as a LLM at slinger. it was the slinger track champ super late in the mid 90s.