Author Topic: Rotisserie without trunk floor-good/bad?  (Read 913 times)

Offline MoparCar

Rotisserie without trunk floor-good/bad?
« on: February 10, 2008 - 05:35:25 PM »
I've got my Challenger on the rotisserie and I'm on my way to cutting the trunk pan out to make way for a new one piece. I'd appreciate opinions from those with rotisserie experience whether I can completely remove the complete trunk pan including the sections over the frame rails AND still flip it over. Will I lose too much strength and risk twisting the car :clueless:? It will be awhile before I install the new pan since I have lots of things to do before then plus it will go to the media blaster before that.

I'd love to here from some of you seasoned rotisserie guys/gals. This is my first rotisserie project.

Thanks in advance.
Wes

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
Re: Rotisserie without trunk floor-good/bad?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008 - 06:00:47 PM »
As long as your rear outer longitudinal frames and cross frames are not rusted badly, you should be fine.

Before you cut out the floors, take a good look underneath. Likely you will end up butt welding the rear new floor to the original existing areas where it ramps up. (near the trunk back area) Make sure you leave enough outer edge hanging off so that when you go to grind back off any welds after, you won't be having difficulties getting into hard to reach areas and corners. The original trunk floor edge was tucked under the tail panel and they are spot welded together.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008 - 06:37:54 PM »
You may be ok, but the trunk floor supports the rear frame rails so I would at least make a number of measurements before you start cutting.  When I did my car, I had the body on a cart until I replaced the sheet metal, then I put it on the rotisserie.

1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008 - 08:24:50 PM »
you should be fine,as long as you're not cutting off quarters ,rear tailight panel and roof
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008 - 09:47:36 PM »
Thanks guys.
I'll be doing the quarters (or at least one depending on what's underneath the paint) once it's blasted and that will be on jack stands all leveled and square. The frame rails are in excellent shape, no rust so they should be strong. Tail light panel is good too. Basically I want to remove the pan so they can blast the supports at the same time and then once I get it back I want to fabricate my rear coil over 4-link/bar suspension with the truck pan out so it's easier to get to things.

I appreciate all the advice.
Wes

Offline AZDAN

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008 - 10:49:12 PM »
I took out my trunk floor and the rear panel did move out about 1/8-1/4" took off the rotisserie and it came right back to where it should be. I would support the frame and then do the trunk floor off the rotisserie myself from my experience. The rest of my car was solid only the trunk rusted from a leak into the trunk while it sat parked for 18 years. I had the whole car dipped prior to removing the trunk floor so I know the car is solid. Jsut my  :2cents: