Author Topic: the MOPAR Muscle Car market...buying VS. selling  (Read 9824 times)

Offline DAYTONA

the MOPAR Muscle Car market...buying VS. selling
« on: February 10, 2008 - 10:16:25 PM »
...I see articles about the soft market prices on MOPARS, people dumping cars at a loss, dumping parts at a loss....why ?....I saw some cars given away at BJ last month, why ?...

...it seems to me it is the time to buy, not sell...I have owned lots of cars thru the decades and I NEVER bought a car I didn't like so if I sold it, fine, if not, thats fine too...I was never in a scramble to sell a car because I never risked my familys future to finance a car over my financial means....I always bought the best I could afford and was happy with the car...some I owned weeks and some I owned years, but I never had a "fire sale" when the market went soft, I just enjoyed the cars for what they are

...I currently have a few cars I may have paid too much for, but they're not for sale anyway, so why worry....other cars I could make lots of $$$ on if I sold them, but they aren't for sale either

...I understand classic car dealers having to turn inventory, even at a loss, to pay the bills, but the average collector dumping cars at a loss just because the cars aren't worth as much really puzzles me..........any answers ?

...some people are sitting on some VERY prime MOPARS and are very anxious to dump them (afraid they will go lower?), I don't understand the rush...if you paid too much, just wait, in a few years you will look like a financial wizard for keeping the cars or for buying more while the prices are soft

...would you risk these cars in a NO RESERVE auction the way the market is now ??
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008 - 10:25:37 PM by DAYTONA »

Offline DAYTONA

Re: the MOPAR Muscle Car market...buying VS. selling
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008 - 10:17:36 PM »
a couple more...

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008 - 10:23:17 PM »
...these darned girls stepped in front of a HEMI something or other...sorry

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008 - 10:23:54 PM »
I've said it before, bad time to sell, good time to BUY!! This generally applies to real estate also.   :grinyes:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline 70 RT Convt

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008 - 10:25:55 PM »
I never did understand why someone would risk selling a car at no reseve :clueless:
1970 R/T Challenger Convertible
2011 R/T Classic

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008 - 10:29:35 PM »
I agree it is becoming more of a seller market but Daytona even you must realize that your financial status is not what would be called "the norm".  Some people for whatever reason come upon hard times and have to sell. I know one thing for sure, if I were going to BJ I would carry enough credit to have a friend buy it back for me before just giving it away to someone too cheap to pay a decent price. No reserve is too rich of a gamble for my blood  :scared: Cool pics for sure, got any more? I thought the one where the ladies got in the way were pretty good too  :bigsmile:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008 - 10:29:59 PM »
I never did understand why someone would risk selling a car at no reseve :clueless:

there were a few cars that brought too much for what they were, and a few cars down the line others would be given away....non matching AAR brought more than matching numbers AARs and it wasn't that nice...rough 69 Chevelle vert broke the bank, followed by a mint 375 horse Chevelle vert that brought $15k less....prices were all over the place, I left confused

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008 - 10:37:15 PM »
I know I have to sell my 70 cuda because of my financial situation, but at the same time I am not in such a financial situation that I am willing to sell it at a loss. Personnaly I would never sell a car at a no reserve auction because that is too big of a gamble. Like the market has done over the years it will go back up again.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008 - 10:39:30 PM »
I agree it is becoming more of a seller market but Daytona even you must realize that your financial status is not what would be called "the norm".  Some people for whatever reason come upon hard times and have to sell. I know one thing for sure, if I were going to BJ I would carry enough credit to have a friend buy it back for me before just giving it away to someone too cheap to pay a decent price. No reserve is too rich of a gamble for my blood  :scared: Cool pics for sure, got any more? I thought the one where the ladies got in the way were pretty good too  :bigsmile:

...what ever financial status you are in, you can over extend yourself, I can't/won't buy cars I sold just a few years ago, they're too expensive and I'm too tight :bigsmile:....I'm just old and have worked for 45 years  :roflsmiley:...if you live long enough and work long enough, everyone can make it :bigsmile: :roflsmiley: :bigsmile:

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008 - 10:42:15 PM »
Oh man, me likes the Butterscotch 69.5, My 71 was Butterscotch and some day it will be again  :pullinghair:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008 - 10:44:34 PM »
a few more...

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008 - 10:47:41 PM »
more...

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008 - 10:51:25 PM »
...many say the Muscle Car Market is running out of time, we're getting too old to remember our youth.....BS, the big 50s MOPARS were bringing down some major coin...

...old Vettes were extremely hot this year too

...never fear, MOPARS will return :bigsmile:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008 - 11:04:30 PM by DAYTONA »

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008 - 11:27:10 PM »
People like us did not make the market go up. Investors and speculators did. They always do that when the next hot thing surfaces. Then, it's like a feeding frenzy. Everyone feels that they need to get in before its too late, or they want to get in to "Get a piece of the action". As a result, there is rapid appreciation in value, and the investors make a killing. People start pulling cars out of garages, barns, fields, junkyards. The market gets flooded with vehicles, increasing supply, which decreases demand, and slows appreciation. Once the market tops out, and the appreciation slows to a halt, the investors and speculators quickly get out of the market and take their profits. Increased supply causes prices to fall, causing other car owners to panic and try to sell their cars before they lose money. Remember that many people used home equity loans to buy playtoys, thinking that they would continue to go up in value. It's just like the stock market, or the housing bubble. With the economy worsening, and us sliding into a recession, it will get even worse as more people try to cut their losses because their homes and vehicles are no longer worth what they paid for them. If you watch the auctions, you'll see that the 50's and 40's cars, along with vintage racers, are now starting to appreciate. See, that's what the seculators and investors do. They find a lower value item, and create an artificial demand for it, causing it to heat up.

Will the 60's & 70's Muscle Cars go back up in value again? I doubt it. Believe me, they haven't bottomed out yet. Too many factors against them coming back. As long as you own a car to enjoy it, none of this matters.

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008 - 11:31:39 PM »
I have to agree with you the mopar cars may be down right now but that will change. I looking for a cheap project or one that someone has already started and I will finish. A few people want out and I'm not sure why as I'm not going to take a loss just because the price may even go lower. If I had the money I would start looking for a TA or AAR as they seem to already be coming down to a price that I might even be able to afford. I turned down a hemi orange 4-speed TA Challenger a year and a half ago for $35,000 and it was restored and the owner didn't like the clutch pedal pressure and wanted to sell it to someone who would take care and appreciate it. My wife had other ideas and I never bought the TA and still wish I would of. I figure within 2-3 years these cars now selling cheaper may even be brining more money than they were bringing a couple of years ago. I'm not selling my 71 Challenger RT or 70 Cuda as they are just way to much fun driving and cruising around. They have a style all there own and will never be built like this again.

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4