the MOPAR Muscle Car market...buying VS. selling

Author Topic: the MOPAR Muscle Car market...buying VS. selling  (Read 9849 times)

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
Re: the MOPAR Muscle Car market...buying VS. selling
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2008 - 01:46:53 PM »
there will be a lot of profits, there also will be a lot of losses, but with the prices of these cars coming down to earth again, the market is opening up again for those who really have a heart for the muscle cars, but were not able to purchase the car they dreamed of for years. I guess the time has come to stop talking in $$$ , and start racing again  :burnout:
*** Bart ***

Offline matt63

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2008 - 05:26:11 PM »
Yeah if $4k wasn't a lot in the 70's we would of all bought hemis  :jumping:(except I was 10-15 years too young at the time)

Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2008 - 05:39:19 PM »
My car is for sale now, and i may have it sold already. I am not giving it away but someone is getting a pretty good deal.

Why am i selling it? Time to move on to another Mopar! I dont have the resources or space to keep every car i've owned. And the next old Mopar i buy is #99 for me. The longest I've kept one is at most 4 years, usually dont keep em longer than 1 1/2-2 years. I get bored and want something different. I've had some really nice and rare cars thru the years, it's been a blast! As my wife says, I have MADD..Mopar Attention Defecit Disorder..it's not a hobby, it's a disease.

I have room for two cars now, so that's my limit. Gettin bored with the E's a bit, so maybe a couple of B's or a B and an A body...or if an E comes along that catches my eye, I'll buy it.

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2008 - 06:15:37 PM »
My car is for sale now, and i may have it sold already. I am not giving it away but someone is getting a pretty good deal.

Why am i selling it? Time to move on to another Mopar! I dont have the resources or space to keep every car i've owned. And the next old Mopar i buy is #99 for me. The longest I've kept one is at most 4 years, usually dont keep em longer than 1 1/2-2 years. I get bored and want something different. I've had some really nice and rare cars thru the years, it's been a blast! As my wife says, I have MADD..Mopar Attention Defecit Disorder..it's not a hobby, it's a disease.

I have room for two cars now, so that's my limit. Gettin bored with the E's a bit, so maybe a couple of B's or a B and an A body...or if an E comes along that catches my eye, I'll buy it.
I know what you mean about getting bored with the same car.I love B bodies as well,that how i started my sickness.With all the chores on my ranch and home remodeling projects at home,its hard to find time to work on my cars these days but.I am cutting down the projects i have.I wanted a B and E body,thats why i sold my 73 chally to get a 69 Bee(and i have a 70 GC),to have one of each,dont want any more than that.I have passed up and a few deals,still would like an A body but i keep talking myself out of it.I need to finish my GC and then restore the Bee,than I'll quit and keep the 2,lol
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline n9671x2

• I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2008 - 07:01:31 PM »
Daytona, to answer your original question, I definately wouldn't have run a car through this year with no reserve, and I guess probably never would.   I really don't know you, but I know you have been into these cars for a long time, have owned A LOT of super cool ones and have your $$$ house in order.   Not everyone shares those 3 traits.   I think it is safe to say alot of people got onto the Mopar money train the last few years because it was the hot thing.   I think it is somewhat human nature to sometimes be short sighted and if things are going down, get off ASAP.   I think it is safe to say alot of people are buying stocks when they are going up, and selling when they are going down, and for the long run, that mentality is backwards.   Like you mentioned, some of the dealerships, and individuals probably HAD to sell some stuff.   I think alot of what not only fueled the economy the last few years, and the rise in Mopar values was tied into the subprime mess.   Alot of things (cars included) were purchased with equity that is now either not there, or coming due.

I also think this last wave of prices was fueled to a large degree with the buying and selling of a handfull of cars.   Real  R code 71 hemicuda convertables.   I also think this small market was manipulated by the players in it.   I don't think we will ever again seeing those cars changing hands at what they were a year or so ago.

At some point, even though they are a completely different science, "new" muscle cars are going to have some effect on the value of 60s and 70s stuff.   Enough people decide to drop 50k on a new Challenger/Camaro/Shelby Mustang etc.. and not on an older muscle car, it will affect the market.

And even though the market is "down", you don't have to go back many years at all to realize the market is still very high.   The sky definately hasn't fallen, grab a Hemmings from 2002, 1999 etc.. and check out what your money would buy then, and what it will buy now.

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2008 - 07:46:43 PM »

Nice car Larry. Shouldn't be a hard one to sell  :bigsmile:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2008 - 08:19:55 PM »
 :bigsmile:
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2008 - 09:20:56 PM »
Nice car Larry. Shouldn't be a hard one to sell  :bigsmile:

I'm holding it for someone on the board..... :biggrin:

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2008 - 09:22:55 PM »
I'm holding it for someone on the board..... :biggrin:

:2thumbs:   :smilielol:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline Goehner

• 392 IE
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2008 - 11:23:26 PM »
The muscle car market is like any other like many have said. Speculators and people who want to make a buck will get in and drive up the values. Economy as a whole is in the crapper right now, and some people have circumstances that drive them to sell. Values are down now since everyone is trying to "cash in." They will come back up, but the bottom is probably not here yet. I would say it is a buying opportunity soon for those of us that want a nice ride we could not afford a few years ago. Some will not sell unless they absolutely have to. Can't wait for that!!
392 Edition on order
08 Mega Cab 3500 SRW 6.7 CTD, 2" Leveling kit, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ
05 Durango Limited, Yea, it's got a HEMI!!

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2008 - 01:00:36 AM »
The muscle car market is like any other like many have said. Speculators and people who want to make a buck will get in and drive up the values. Economy as a whole is in the crapper right now, and some people have circumstances that drive them to sell. Values are down now since everyone is trying to "cash in." They will come back up, but the bottom is probably not here yet. I would say it is a buying opportunity soon for those of us that want a nice ride we could not afford a few years ago. Some will not sell unless they absolutely have to. Can't wait for that!!
While someone may find a local deal,there are still many people out there with more money than sense.The rare cars are still bringing much more than i would spend,even though i could if i wanted to.I never put much stock into "bragging rights" seems stupid to me.I would rather buy a nice 383 or 340 project for under 10k than 2 or 3 times as much for a 440-6 or hemi car.But that me
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2008 - 09:17:43 AM »
Another thing that most people don't realize, is that there is a ton of stuff out there, squirrelled away. Take me for example. I live in a small town. I have about a dozen cars in various stages. I bought some parts from a guy that has probably a dozen Mopars, mostly unrestored Challengers and Cudas, in a double decker barn. Another guy I talked to, has a 200 foot buiding crammed full of restored/survivor Mopars, including Hemis, Verts, 6-pack cars, etc. Another guy, is a big collector/restorer/seller, that has a warehouse full of high end vehicles (Superbird, Hemis, Fuelie Vettes, Fuelie 57 Chevies, etc). All together, there are close to 200 cars. And that is just in this small town and surrounding area. I have also run into countless people that have just one car tucked away in their garage, but never take it out of do anything with it. Now those are the only ones I know about. Add to that the 50-100 cars that show up at the weekly cruise-in, (and they are not always the same cars every week). Now, since all of us are car lovers, think about how many cars each of you know about, including the ones that show up at local gatherings, and the ones that never see the light of day. Imagine how many are really out there, just waiting to be dumped on the market. Of course, all of us are boomers, so the cars probably won't get into the market for a while yet, but as mentioned before, the younger generation would rather spend 50k on a high-tech, luxury/sport Beemer or Mercedes, than on a 40 year old low tech vehicle, so the same demand just won't be there.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008 - 09:22:11 AM by jeryst »

Offline back n black

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2008 - 09:50:24 AM »
I personally have been shopping Viper's lately because I can get exactly the one I want in my price range. 

You can get an introductory viper roadster for the price of a basket case e body vert.  In comparison's with the classic mopar production numbers, all the different makes of the Viper are extremely rare. 

To me, many of the cars in the e body market are considerably over priced. 

Offline matt63

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2008 - 12:18:03 PM »
I don't know about "driving" the prices up.  It's supply and demand.  I don't know anybody that wants to sell their car for less than market value. 
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant

Offline matt63

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2008 - 12:22:34 PM »
I personally have been shopping Viper's lately because I can get exactly the one I want in my price range. 

You can get an introductory viper roadster for the price of a basket case e body vert.  In comparison's with the classic mopar production numbers, all the different makes of the Viper are extremely rare....
This is a good point.  I just went through a similar thought process.  For the price of a nice 'Cuda you can buy lots of other nice muscle or sports cars.  I just bought a very nice '95 993 (911) for $30K.  However, I still have the 'Cuda for now.  I hope they don't fight. :nono:
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant