Author Topic: How do I remove the front clip??  (Read 627 times)

Offline blown74

• Never go less then 60 MPH in Reverse! Bel Air, Md
How do I remove the front clip??
« on: February 14, 2008 - 08:45:10 PM »
   Help I'm stuck.  :banghead: I'm trying to remove the front clip then eventually the rad core support. That I suspect as some spot welds on it. I've remove all the screws that I can see on the front end. The problem seems to be just above the head lamps. Are their some hidden screws? I've remove the head light buckets and the rubber trim as seen in the attached photo. The front bumber and grill came off with no problems. Looking for some advice.

Thanks

Don
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008 - 08:49:17 PM by blown74 »
American Muscle Rocks !!

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: How do I remove the front clip??
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008 - 01:42:43 AM »
There is one bolt (one each side) that you access from the inner fender area that holds the header panel in the area behind the outer light bucket. It may be obscured by undercoating
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline blown74

• Never go less then 60 MPH in Reverse! Bel Air, Md
Front clip finally removed. Now on the to rad core support maybe...
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008 - 08:04:42 PM »
Found that one. I wish it was that easy. After doing some more digging I found two screws one on each end holding the area just above the head lights to the fender. From what I can see these screws have the heads facing forward and the threads towards the rear of the car. I'm guessing a previous owner at some time install screws through the front and then patched over them. I was able to make a slight gap and with a dremel tool cut both screws and the front clip finally came out.  :woo:
Seems like nothing is every easy working on these old cars. I wish Chrylser would have did the radiator core support the way GM did with the Chevelle. Very easy to remove it just bolts in. No welds to remove. Anny idea how much trouble it is to remove the radiator core support? Attached a picture of the cut off screw.
American Muscle Rocks !!

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008 - 08:25:03 PM »
I looked at mine & there was no screw at that location but there is a locating stud.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008 - 09:33:25 PM »
I dont think gm have proof of vin on the rad support , that's why it comes out easier. It's tuffer to change a vin on our cars for this and other obvious reasons