Author Topic: Deadly street race  (Read 1646 times)

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
Deadly street race
« on: February 16, 2008 - 07:05:32 PM »
This is a sad story......

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23194752

My heart goes out to all those who lost some one.   :angelwings:

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
Re: Deadly street race
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008 - 07:11:18 PM »
I agree mine also.  Just wish they would think sometimes how dangerous it is to do something like that.  I have seen that kind of thing before and seems that no one learns from others mistakes. 
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008 - 07:16:55 PM »
That's to bad, there are going to be alot of hurting familys. Did they get the two who were doing the burnouts?
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008 - 07:19:53 PM »
Have not heard that they did on the news yet.
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008 - 07:51:37 PM »
Very sad indeed. Makes me wonder if the Crown Vic driver had been drinking. Driving at 3:40 am and with no lights on?? But even with lights on, it seems by all reports that the road was filled with smoke from burnouts. It makes no sense, but a lot of fingers will be pointed on this one before all the smoke clears!!

Matt B.
Matt

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008 - 02:16:45 AM »
"He liked going to the race track, watching races," Courtney said. "It's going to take a toll on my family for a long time."

This is the ignorant mentality of the street race clique. Public roads are not "race tracks".
What we do know is the driver of the white sedan is not being charged so they probably were legal and just on their way somewhere minding their own business.
Whether the racers or the crowd is at fault is highly debatable. This was a place known for racing and one guy admitted to the ignorance in thinking the stretch was actually a racetrack. Would the by standers be there if there was no street race? Would the racers have been there if there wasn't an audience? If they would have chosen to be there without an audience, would the wreck have happened anyway?
From looking at it, personally, the crowd is at fault.
People should be held responsible for their own actions these days. They did not use risk management. When you don't think about the consequences of standing in the middle of the road in the middle of the night it is hard for me to find anyone else at fault when you get mowed down like a weed.
I feel very sorry for the driver of the white Ford and am most happy they did not die on account of at least eight idiots.

That's to bad, there are going to be alot of hurting familys. Did they get the two who were doing the burnouts?
I don't think that would even matter. The two drivers didn't make these people stand in the street. I feel for the families that lost loved ones but I view anyone who dies doing something so stupid, as someone who relinquishes all rights to be called a victim.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008 - 08:34:34 AM by go-fish »

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008 - 07:00:27 AM »
Sad story for those involved but a number of things bother me as well.
Known street racing area-where are the police?
People standing in the middle of a main highway thru town.
Calling it a racetrack and acting like it`s ok to be there.
Ages from kids to people in thier 60`s,you would think at least the older adults would know better. 
Being there is accepting the risk.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008 - 10:45:48 AM »
This may sound harsh, but the only word to describe it is STUPIDITY. Personally the only victim is the driver of the white car, but why was he driving without headlights as described. Makes no difference of the circumstances that actually caused the tragic wreck, if he was drinking his butt is headed to prison.
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline airfueleddie

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008 - 11:57:10 AM »
Yeah, I saw that on the news. Pretty sad. I still dont understand why those people were standing out on the roadway?

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008 - 11:59:58 AM »
From what I read, the white car with no headlights hit the people from behind??  In other words, they didn't see it coming.   :screwy:

Offline Hopalong

• HEAD OFF! Apply directly to the neck line!
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008 - 12:22:11 PM »
Where was the mention of the crown vic not having lights on?  If it was coming up from behind, and with all the smoke, how does anyone know if the lights were on or not?  Street racing is dangerous at best on it's own, with crowds, just stupid.  I have done my share of street racing, but I know I made some others mad when more than 4 people showed up to watch and I backed out.  If you want to watch a race, go to a real race track, or stay home and watch it on tv.  The people standing around are probably lucky that the semi truck didn't come through first or the headline would be 40 dead.
{oo/===\oo}

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008 - 10:10:13 PM »
Hopalong, your right. I played it back twice and there was no mention of the headlights not being on.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008 - 10:51:23 PM »
People do things wrong or break little laws everyday. nobody expects to die from it. I really feel for the families. So tragic. So sad.

hannah

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008 - 04:28:22 AM »
 :swear: I just don't understand people !! How many death crashes do you have to read in the paper before you get it that street racing is stupid !!

It's really puzzling cause these are smart people right? But come on standing on the highway...in the dark...your back to traffic really isn't the smartest thing to do

Lots of rumors floating around about this one...like it was police driving the white car sneaking up on the racers which is why no name of the driver was given...

I read it was a Mustang and a Camaro I think it was....and the flag person and others were on the road...they got hit...the driver lost control and hit the crowd on the side of the road...

Whatever the real story is what a sad story...illegal drag racing kills...and this time it killed the fans. Yet they'll keep closing race tracks

Prayers for the dead and injured

The article here a witness says there were no lights on the white car  :dunno:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/02/16/national/main3840105.shtml

Offline Hopalong

• HEAD OFF! Apply directly to the neck line!
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008 - 09:10:03 PM »

Whatever the real story is what a sad story...illegal drag racing kills...and this time it killed the fans. Yet they'll keep closing race tracks

Real race tracks cost money to operate.  Plus, depending on the location, not all of them can operate year round.  There is an 1/8th mile about and hour or so away from where I live, and only open on friday and saturday nights (usually).  They also have a road course so the drag strip isn't all ways open due to that too.  And right now it's feburary and it is darn cold, so again, the track is closed till spring.  Highways and back roads are open all the time.
{oo/===\oo}