Daytona 500????

Author Topic: Daytona 500????  (Read 3749 times)

Offline vinb

• Resident
Re: Daytona 500????
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2008 - 10:38:36 AM »
Not anymore, It's all about Gordon & Jr.  :blah: :blah: :blah:
Are there 41 other cars on the track????
It's not about racing anymore, it's about $$$$ and the two above.
Kind of like in Drag Racing John Force this & John Force that...the one with the most money wins...
Plus Top Fuel & Funny Cars are boring, take the decals off and they all look the same all have the same engines.
Now NHRA Stock,SuperStock & Comp. or SCCA road racing is definitely interesting, all different cars and engines combos. real stuff...
But then again what do I know.....to each is own....

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2008 - 10:47:05 AM »
Not anymore, It's all about Gordon & Jr.  :blah: :blah: :blah:
Are there 41 other cars on the track????
It's not about racing anymore, it's about $$$$ and the two above.
Kind of like in Drag Racing John Force this & John Force that...the one with the most money wins...
Plus Top Fuel & Funny Cars are boring, take the decals off and they all look the same all have the same engines.
Now NHRA Stock,SuperStock & Comp. or SCCA road racing is definitely interesting, all different cars and engines combos. real stuff...
But then again what do I know.....to each is own....

That is what nascar needs to get away from.  It should be where on any given day anyone can win and not just a small hand full of drivers and cars.  Does not seem as it is fair in any way shape or form.  Level the playing field and start over.  But with the cars all looking the same it is hard to tell who is who and you can not tell much about the car as for as who makes it.  That needs to change.  I believe that is why the industry has fallen off the last couple of years.  It is not who will win the race but will Jr or Gordon or #20 win.  I am tired of all that.  It needs to be a race with all who get there have a chance to win.  Not just the race of the few.
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline Slotts

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008 - 10:51:31 AM »
 :iagree: with it all, too.

Tony Stewart =  :villagers: :swear: :stomp:

I havn't cared for NASCAR since the last running of the hemis with Petty, Baker and Isaac.

Slotts

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2008 - 10:54:53 AM »
   Hey, I'm not disagreeing with most of what you guys are saying but IF you were alive & following NASCAR back in the '70s it was ALL about the King & most everybody else was just the supporting cast.....& there were usually 1/2 the field running at the end & maybe 4 cars on the lead lap..... Best racing IMO was probably the late 80s. Lots of interesting players then.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2008 - 10:57:13 AM »
Sorry just a mopar fan.  And the King is the king.  He showed them how to race.  He had the car to do it.  It was the cars because others who raced them won some times also.  The Hemi was the King.  But the driver that won and won often in a mopar was King Richard.
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2008 - 11:00:55 AM »
Not disrespecting the KING  I pulled for him to  till the end...I was at the 400 for his 200th in '84  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008 - 11:03:34 AM by bullitt99 »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2008 - 11:07:35 AM »
I'll probably watch it off and on, but when I want exciting racing with STOCK cars I go to an SCCA race.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Winston

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2008 - 11:27:06 AM »
I'll have it on the TV and the radio...I'll be in the garage and when something big happens, I'll run in real quick to see the replays and the drama.

For me, it's definitely not stock car racing anymore, and like the US, there is just too much policy and restrictions involved.  However, I did watch the Shootout last weekend, and if the racing is going to be like that today, it'll be a great race.  It was nice to see cars drop out of line and be able to make a pass without relying on another car (usually a teammate) to push them by.  These COT's aren't the prettiest, but on the big tracks, it may make them a little more racier.  The verdict is still out on the cookie-cutter tracks...I don't think anything they do will make a majority of those fun to watch.  And, Bristol, although my favorite track, was extremely boring with the COT this past August.  Not sure if that was the new surface or the new car.  We'll see soon enough.

Although I would love to see a Mopar win the race, I generally cheer for certain drivers more than I do the manufacturer.  There are certain guys out there who have a good attitude.  In this category Dale jr is hard to beat.  He has an amazing personality, and he's so down to earth.  He makes a good winner, as do a few others out there like Carl Edwards. 

Ever since Terry Labonte retired, I am still searching for a favorite driver.  I do like Hendrick Motorsports b/c of the #5 car since Terry drove it for so long.  It was tough watching Kyle Busch drive it, but since the crew chief is an old friend of mine, I still like that car.  I'm not sure if Casey Mears has what it takes to become my favorite driver, but I certainly won't be cheering against it.

Happy racing to all!  Hope your driver wins!   :)

Offline airfueleddie

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2008 - 12:09:15 PM »
I like the NSS in drag racing,(Ie, the goodguys), wish they had a NSS type of Nascar racing where the old cars would be pitted against one another like some of the old vintage SCCA racers. But then again a Winged Warrior or any Hemi powered Nascar 60's MoPar would be worth a fortune. Canada has the Cascar series dont they? I think they have to all use production type engines,(sealed), 500 H.P. or so, 3200 lbs..With enough money you can find incremental small advantages that lead to winning results all else being equal. Therein lies the 'problem' with "corporate based" racing. I mean why did Nascar Allow Chevrolet to use their brand new Engine along with Toyota which is understandable since they are new, but why didnt they allow Ford and Dodge to use their newest generation of circle track powerplants? The new Chevy R07 is a pretty nice piece. it makes approx. 5-7% more power than their old design and reduces preparation by 70%. It uses the very latest in revised casting techniques reducing maching time and cost. As reported in the latest issue of the Dick Berregrins Speedway magazine.  Eddie   ,(they send it to me for free so I read it) ;D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008 - 01:40:51 PM by airfueleddie »

Offline burnt orange

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2008 - 01:37:27 PM »
Yup, i'll be watching.  It's racing, there are engines, smoke and noise.
Can't buy an F1 car and drive it on the street either, but I'll still watch. 
< ° ) ) >< 

Offline inot2old

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2008 - 01:52:27 PM »
I will probably watch some, but I am tired of Hendricks winning all the time.  Back when Petty was winning everything they changed the rules 2 differant years to discriminate against him. 
'71 Cuda 

'70 Charger project
'05 Crossfire Roadster

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2008 - 02:12:23 PM »
Granted it's gotten to be all about the  sponsors, the politics, and mostly the $$$!! I'm still a race fan.. NASCAR-NHRA-SCCA-WOO and of course the late model stocker that I am involved with locally. I love renting a rail outside of VEGAS and racin' around in the dunes! Now if it's a summer day and it's a choice between takin' NIKKI for a romp or watchin' TV, I think the answer is obvious. But  on this rainy/snowy wet day, I'm here with the laptop in my lap and the DAytona 500 on TV!  :grinyes:  :thumbsup:

PS. I think maybe Toyota will be giving us a few surprises.  :smokin:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2008 - 03:03:43 PM »
The pre race show and commercials are both longer than either, vs. the Superbowl.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Winston

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2008 - 04:54:25 PM »
Topcat, I missed the pre-race, but the commercials during the race are quite long!

On another note, sure is a boring race so far...

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2008 - 04:58:25 PM »
 :iagree: not much going on really.  No real racing like it used to be, I miss the racing of back in the day.

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon