Author Topic: battery isn't staying charged?  (Read 3122 times)

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
battery isn't staying charged?
« on: February 17, 2008 - 01:05:20 PM »
Ok, not sure if it's a bad battery yet or what. Its a yellow top I got off of CL a year or more ago and its been great. My car doesn't get driven enough to stay charged normally. However, I find I'm having to charge it more frequently now. I'm not using a battery tender, is that a big deal?

Also, it seems like this started happening around the time I added an Alpine amp and Infinity Basslink powered sub. Although they are wired in to the HU and are only powered up when the HU tells them to come on, there is a hot lead going to both of them thats hot all the time.

Is there a way to tell if they are drawing enough amps when turned off to run my battery down besides disconnecting them? Maybe I should have put them on a switched circuit anyway.  ???   
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline pink panther

• Resident
Re: battery isn't staying charged?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008 - 01:27:51 PM »
have you checked your battery  and alternator with a meter?  you can also check your lead to the amp and see if it is drawing current with everything off.
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008 - 01:57:06 PM »
Just a thing with optimas, i run one. Once they get low, they really cant hold a charge higher than that. I just returned mine when it got low and got another one.

Second, yes you need to put a ammeter in series with your positive or negative cable and post. See how much current is being drawn. Should be less than about 30ma or so..
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008 - 01:32:44 AM »
the yellow wire should be hot all the time but the draw should be minimal , optimas need to be kept chrged either with a trickle charger or a occaisional charge

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008 - 06:32:39 AM »
Yup, agreed. I only look at the amp and sub because the issue started abut the time I installed them.

So those batter tenders are the way to go with GelCel type bats? Using a conventional charger, the Optima seems to charge up fairly quickly but will barely start the car the next day.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008 - 06:34:51 AM by miketyler »
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline BruteForce

• '72 Dodge Challenger 340 5spd
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008 - 02:20:40 PM »
Car stereos can definitely draw enough, even when switched off, to run your battery down. I installed battery quick disconnects for when I won't be driving it for a while.

It's also possible that there's a lamp somewhere that is not shutting off when a door is closed. Even those little bulbs can quickly drain away a battery charge. Or you could have a short to ground somewhere (moisture can do this). Two ways to track this down, starting with the wiring diagrams:
  • Put an ammeter in series with the circuit
  • Use an ohmmeter to test resistance to ground, circuit by circuit. I prefer this approach because it's easier, and there's less chance of accidentally burning wires from shorting them to ground while you fiddle with the ammeter

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008 - 05:03:17 PM »
I have a red Optima. I'm not sure the yellow deep cycle batteries are made for cars.  :dunno:

In any event, I disconnect it if I know I won't be driving it for more than a couple of weeks. The original Rally clock is what can drain mine pretty low after a month or so.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline 74 340 4speed

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008 - 05:41:59 PM »
I'm having problems with mine too.  I have a red top optima in my 99 SS.  I can let my car sit for one week, and it is extremely sluggish about cranking.  It started this about three weeks ago, and this is my 2nd red top battery.  The battery is about 3 months old.  I don't have an aftermarket stereo, gps, or any other electrical accessory on the car other that what it came with when it was new.  I can drive the car for 20 minutes and turn it off, and it cranks back up like the battery is fully charged.  I wonder what is killing it.  ???
Andy
1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc 505 hp/506 ft lbs|4 speed|Posi|3.73s
1969 C/10  350|Turbo 350
1969 Dodge D300 318|4 speed|Dana|4.88s
1972Nova: 350|Turbo 350
1974 'Cuda: 340|4 speed|Dana 60|4.10s|posi
1999 Camaro SS: Auto|Longtube Headers|True Duals|TT2s
2013 Challenger R/T: 6 speed|Hurst with pistol grip|mopar performance exhaust|super track pak

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008 - 06:17:12 PM »
I know it's not stock, but I bought one of those battery posts with a knob on it, at a swap meet, for around $3. Best investment I ever made, and now I have them on all of my cars. When you're not driving the car, you just twist the knob a turn, and the battery is completely disconnected. If you unscrew it all the way, and remove the knob, it acts as a simple security device because the car can't be started.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008 - 08:52:47 PM »
I have had my red top for 12 years in my daily driver , the longest i have ever let it sit for was 2 weeks , I had it tested a few months ago & it still tests good , leaving them to sit is what kills them , I lost 3 red tops last year in vehicles that sat 

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008 - 09:03:32 PM »
Chryco, I dont believe I have seen your car yet. What do you drive?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008 - 10:21:42 PM »
ummm I drive a poor old 89 Ram Cummins
 I have a 70 Chall R/T SE & a 71 Charger Parked , I always end up too busy in the Summer to drive them & refuse to drive them during the 11 month winters [ok 8 month ]

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008 - 11:11:07 AM »
I know it's not stock, but I bought one of those battery posts with a knob on it, at a swap meet, for around $3. Best investment I ever made, and now I have them on all of my cars. When you're not driving the car, you just twist the knob a turn, and the battery is completely disconnected. If you unscrew it all the way, and remove the knob, it acts as a simple security device because the car can't be started.

I have one of those too and I believe that's why my El Cheapo battery has been alive for the past 5+ years.  :grinyes:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline matt63

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008 - 01:37:21 PM »
I use one of the Moroso negative post disconnects.  Doesn't Optima make a special trickle charger for their batteries?
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008 - 11:35:11 PM »
Princess Auto has the battery disconnects for around $4