74 Cuda Resurection..Finshed...

Author Topic: 74 Cuda Resurection..Finshed...  (Read 6565 times)

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
Re: The Long Awaited Journey Begins
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008 - 10:16:27 PM »
Ok, well one step forward, two steps back...

decided I would pull of the breaks and rebuild the calipers next.  Got one piston almost out and the found that the chrome was flaking and bubbling from the rust.  I figure the that the caliper bores are probably scored and will be prone to leaks, so for the cost, I think I will go with some reman calipers (better safe than sorry).

I have calmed down, now but man was I ticked off Saturday night, seems like everythign I touch later is screwed up.  That and I think my harmonic balancer may need to be replaced.  Still evaluating that!

So i pulled off the wiring harness and fixed a few things that I noticed once it was on the car.  So no real progrees over the past few weeks.  Oh well, maybe next week. 

Not sure I will make my May 20 deadline, but It will be on the road this summer.

74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline LAA66

Re: 74 Cuda Resurection..well sort of...
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008 - 10:37:27 AM »
 Know how you feel.  Some good days, and bad ones, along with waiting on parts, machine work, or even finding time to work on them. Seems like there is always another project ahead but that's what makes owning these cars so fun. The many small achievements that add up to a rare and admirable machine.

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008 - 04:08:38 PM »
Well, it was more dissasambly and not enough re-assambly the last two weekends.

I pulled off the rotors to have them turned, well they were at min spec, so it was new rotors for me (Canadian Tire had its premium rotors on sale... yeah).  Cleaned all the wheel bearings, inners look good, outers, one had a royaly screwed roller, so out again for new outer bearings. At least the spildles looked good. 

Everything is all cleaned up and ready for reassembly on the front.  Just have to go pick up the last of the parts that I ordered and should be good to go!  Then I will tear in to the back brakes and replace the wheel cyilenders...god only knows what I will find back there!!

I did manage to clean up the inside of the floors a little, looks like I will only need to replace the drivers front.  Some small patches in the the drivers rear and pass front.

It is going to take a couple of late nights to get all this done, but I will drive it this summer, even if my wife kills me...just kidding, she has been great about me spending all the money on the car...the time, well that is sometimes a struggle to find!!

Jas

74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008 - 08:42:09 PM »
Sorry about the set back's and THIS>>>  :useless:

:poopoke:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008 - 09:44:52 PM »
haha fair enough...here are some pics of the brakes and rotors.

Next week I hope to post pics of nice shiny new stuff!!!
74 'cuda 360/727

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
Re: 74 Cuda Resurection..Progress!
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2008 - 02:07:19 AM »
Woohoo...finally made some progress tonight...got the new rotors installed.

Man it feels so good to finally put something back on!!

pics of shinny stuff!!
74 'cuda 360/727

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2008 - 02:08:00 AM »
here is a shot of my work space!!
74 'cuda 360/727

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2008 - 03:27:24 AM »
Looking good! :cheers:  It's always an accomplishment when you begin putting new/rebuilt parts back on. :grinyes:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2008 - 08:28:31 AM »
Rotors look great back on.  Will be able to put it back on the ground where it belongs soon then ? :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline troutstreamnm

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2008 - 08:52:46 AM »
Good stuff!  Keep pluggin away and just take it one step at a time.  My experience is that these projects always have a snowball effect and you end up spending a bunch of time doing necessary side chores.  It might seem like two steps back, but you're really moving forward. Keep up the good work  :2thumbs:
08 SRT-8 Challenger
71 GA4 Challenger
70 FK5 Charger 500

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2008 - 03:33:59 PM »
Well more progress!

I have put the new calipers, pads and hoses on the front.  The drivers floor pan has been patched.

I currently have the back end in the air and Am workign on the back brakes, new rubber hose and wheel cylinders and a good cleaning.  Hopefully I will not have to replace to much else.

While it is up there I will clean and paint the underneath, install the new tank and pad.

I missed my deadline for various reasons, but It shoudl be done by the end of June!!

74 'cuda 360/727

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline Husker Cuda

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2008 - 03:55:29 PM »
Lookin good :2thumbs:  74 Cuda's ROCK  :ylsuper:  I suppose I'm partial cause mine's a 74 too!  Keep up the good work.
1974 'Cuda 512 stroker 650HP Indy heads, Hemi 4 speed, pistol grip - restored to new.
1970 GTX 440/727 Y4 Gold w/ black interior
1969 Camaro SS 396 4-speed X22
1970 Chevelle SS 396 - 375HP M22 4 speed

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2008 - 03:45:27 PM »
Well made some good progress this weekend.

The back brakes all came off and I cleaned up everythign really good...man were they dirrty under the drums!!!

Had to buy new shoes and the other ones were caked in dirt and grease (or something).  Took like half a day to fint hte right shoes (stay away from Jasper Brake Products and Monroe due to fitment issues).  So I only got one side back together.

I also painted under the trunk floor.

Next weekend I will finish up the brakes, put on a new MC and blled the system. 

With any luck I will alos clean up and paint the floor inside and out!!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008 - 03:48:07 PM by CUDA JAS »
74 'cuda 360/727

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2008 - 04:52:23 PM »
Ok...more pregress this weekend.

I got all the brakes together, and bleed/  Seems too have a decent pedal feel, allthough it is very tough to tell as they are power brakes and the car was not running.

I have alos painted all of the underneather of the car..at least where I coudl reach.  Boy was that fun.
The interior floor is just about ready for paint.

I alos pulled my shifter bezel apart and fixed a few issues with it.  Now I have to put it all back together and paint it.

I have quite a bit left to do but I am getting there.

WIll post pics later...maybe.

74 'cuda 360/727

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2008 - 06:30:47 PM »
Go man...GO!! :jumping:   Keep it up!!  Looking way better!! New stuff is cool. :smokin:    :woo:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"