Author Topic: Question - Wire guage  (Read 2217 times)

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
Question - Wire guage
« on: February 20, 2008 - 08:57:07 AM »
I am rebuilding my engine harness as most of the wires are FUBAR.

I am reusing several of the Mopar specifc connectors (voltage reg, elctronic ignition controle module, distributor).  do I need to use the same guage wire when splicing into the wires on the connectors or is it ok to upgrde to a heavier guage wire (i.e., 18 or 16 on the connector spliced to a 14)? 

I will be using new connectors at the bulkhad and anywhere else that I can.

All connectionsd will be crimped and soldered.

Thanks,

Jas
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
Re: Question - Wire guage
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008 - 09:10:26 AM »
Going to a bigger gauge wire wont hurt anything. You'll have less resistance in a bigger wire over length, over a thinner gauge as well which doesn't hurt.
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008 - 12:56:17 PM »
When I redid my engine wiring I stepped everything up a gauge - doesn't hurt anything, in fact a lot of "power pinchers" will put huge gauge wires from the battery to ground and such to decrease overall resistance, supposedly boosting power to things like lights, audio, even engine spark.  I don't go that crazy with it, but it does help.

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008 - 05:27:00 PM »
Those ground distributions are usually for computer controlled vehicles. And those do work actually
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008 - 06:16:55 PM »
What you are doing is more effort, but there is certainly nothing wrong with it.  :grinno:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008 - 06:28:17 PM »
What you are doing is more effort, but there is certainly nothing wrong with it.  :grinno:

Yeah I have to rebuild the harnes because it is FUBAR..here is a pic.

My concern is that the heavier wire going into the smaller wire will create a weak spot.  Sounds like I will be good shape!
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008 - 06:30:10 PM »
Have you tried looking for those bulkhead connection wires? I swear napa might be able to get them. Maybe email Evans Wiring if they will sell you some.

That would be nice to be able to have new, crimped/soldered connections.
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008 - 07:09:41 PM »
Yeah I have to rebuild the harnes because it is FUBAR..here is a pic.

My concern is that the heavier wire going into the smaller wire will create a weak spot.  Sounds like I will be good shape!

If we were talking about the interior with AC, rear defroster, power windows, or anything like that, then I would be worried about the junction between wires getting a tad warm. Thus, we are not. You only want to go bigger in the engine bay, so I see no problems. The current thru the wires should be steady as far as ignition goes. The voltage regulator wires will vary, but they just tell the alternator to step it up a tad, or not. No major current there. The biggie as far as the engine bay area is concerned is the large black wire coming from the alternator. All that current flows thru the bulkhead connector. Some have re-routed a large wire in addition to that from the alternator directly to "+" side of the battery. This may all be more than you need to know, but in doing this last step, the original amp meter won't fuction correctly as all current is no longer running thru it.  I hope I didn't lose you.  :pullinghair: It was all in the name of avoiding a melt down at the bulkhead connector.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008 - 08:19:18 PM »
If we were talking about the interior with AC, rear defroster, power windows, or anything like that, then I would be worried about the junction between wires getting a tad warm. Thus, we are not. You only want to go bigger in the engine bay, so I see no problems. The current thru the wires should be steady as far as ignition goes. The voltage regulator wires will vary, but they just tell the alternator to step it up a tad, or not. No major current there. The biggie as far as the engine bay area is concerned is the large black wire coming from the alternator. All that current flows thru the bulkhead connector. Some have re-routed a large wire in addition to that from the alternator directly to "+" side of the battery. This may all be more than you need to know, but in doing this last step, the original amp meter won't fuction correctly as all current is no longer running thru it.  I hope I didn't lose you.  :pullinghair: It was all in the name of avoiding a melt down at the bulkhead connector.

Mike

Nope did not lose me at all.  I will be doing the MAD amp guage by-pass well I am at.

Appreciate the info!

Goody, I have all new PED conectors for the bulkhead (MAD), but will be reusing the more specilized connectors.  So from the bulk head out will be all new.
74 'cuda 360/727

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008 - 08:52:46 PM »
Sounds good!
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008 - 01:22:16 PM »
Use an 8 guage or at least a minimum of 10 guage for the Alternator main wire. The original ones were not meant for the new bigger alternators. Connect it to a big fuse right to the starter relay or to the battery. If you go through the firewall with it, it will melt and throw sparks just like the originals did.

You can buy those snap-in female and male spade crimp-ons from any good electronics store. If you can't find them, try Digikey electronics.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008 - 08:29:45 PM »
Agree with above, i actually a 100amp circuit breaker for my 90amp alternator circuit breaker which is designed for marine use. Any trouble it just 'pops'. Good maxifuse would be a good idea if not that.
1976 Dodge Warlock