Author Topic: 340 Fuelpump problems  (Read 9330 times)

Offline dodge freak 2

Re: 340 Fuelpump problems
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008 - 12:13:13 AM »
No, the cam lube is a paste that goes on the lobes. What he meant is the bottle of zinc additive, I got a bottle even though I use racing oil thats not street legal.

These oils today have low zinc in them, its good to add 1 bottle to each oil change now. 

Offline Belgium Cuda

• Living in Belgium but beeing Swedish
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008 - 01:29:17 PM »

You are lucky overthere, you propably can buy it in your local 7 eleven.  :roflsmiley: Will connect an electrical fuel pump
 to fill up the carb and take it from there.
1970 Challenger Convertible - to become a Hemi tribute
1968 Charger R/T 500 cui stroker

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008 - 01:55:34 PM »
Fill the carb fuel bowls too. Not sure what carb you have, if its a Carter, the vents are by the metering rods. Get a tiny funnel and pour just a little gas in both vents-left and right.

Holleys are better, take the sight plugs off and pour gas in each vent tube until gas runs out of each plug hole.

Then on both carbs, pour some gas right down in to the motor.

It has to fire right up for a second or two, might stall if theres not enough gas in the fuel bowls.

If nothing happens , theres no spark or its at the wrong time.

Offline Belgium Cuda

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008 - 02:10:18 PM »

Have an edel 1406, checked that i have spark so some rocketfuel should do it!

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008 - 03:42:22 PM »
Thats a Carter carb...Edelbrock just bought the name years ago.

You should be able to just pour a little fuel in to each bowl, you know its has some when the accel pump starts working

Offline LAA66

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2008 - 09:13:45 PM »
 With a new motor I would make sure fuel supply is adequate for at least a 20 minute run. Also splashing fuel down the intake can wash the lubricant in the new cylinders away.  :2cents:

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2008 - 09:52:35 PM »
True but it needs some gas to start up, unless it has a choke. I have choke less carbs so...

You might want to mix some light oil with the gas. Trans oil or 2 stroke oil is good, not too much, like 1 quart in a full tank of gas.

If you can get some leaded gasoline, go for it.

Offline Belgium Cuda

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2008 - 10:53:18 AM »

Now I got the pump to deliver fuel to the carb but now I guess the adjustable rockers are playing with me. When I adjust to OK play
 and try to start the engine the valves doesn't open enough and the play is again way to much. Must I adjust the rockers when the pushrod
 is on the top of the lifters highest or deapest point?  :banghead:

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2008 - 10:59:20 AM »
There is a technique used when adjusting those lifters and valves. Do not attempt to adjust without knowing what is going on or you may bend the valves.  Wait for a few posts, I want you to read this one asap :2thumbs:

Offline LAA66

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2008 - 11:05:18 AM »
  There is a sequence chart that shows which valves can be adjusted at each 90 degree rotation of the crankshaft. Maybe someone here has one handy. Your cam manufacturer should have the lash or preload needed for your cam  depending whether your lifters solid or hydraulic type. In the old days the hydraulic lifters had to the "pumped up" in a pan of oil prior to installation.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2008 - 11:07:55 AM »
Now I got the pump to deliver fuel to the carb but now I guess the adjustable rockers are playing with me. When I adjust to OK play
 and try to start the engine the valves doesn't open enough and the play is again way to much. Must I adjust the rockers when the pushrod

I am sure someone will post a chart on how to set the valves. The valves need to be closed, and off the ramp. I just do it by memory and knowing what to do.  I could show you 100 times easier then explaining it to you and typing with 2 fingers.
I am quite sure Chryco , Stroker or someone else will type this up for you.  When the intake valve is on it's way up, I adjust the exhaust. When the exhaust is on it's way down, I adjust the intake. But there is more to that then what I just said. And I don't feel I can just type out the correct procedure. I will see if I can find a chart for you, until then please wait for the others to explain before you go any further so you dont cause any damage. It can get expensive...

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2008 - 11:11:35 AM »
 There is a sequence chart that shows which valves can be adjusted at each 90 degree rotation of the crankshaft. Maybe someone here has one handy. Your cam manufacturer should have the lash or preload needed for your cam  depending whether your lifters solid or hydraulic type. In the old days the hydraulic lifters had to the "pumped up" in a pan of oil prior to installation.

Here's a chart guide for you to study...please look

http://www.moparts.com/Tech/Archive/motor/14.html

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2008 - 11:12:47 AM »

http://www.moparts.com/Tech/Archive/motor/20.html

Here are some setting for specific valve adjustments

Offline Belgium Cuda

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2008 - 11:42:48 AM »

Supergreat info!! Now some questions, when cylinder1 is in TDC ( rotor in distributor pointing at sparkwire #1 and marking OK on fluiddamper)
 I start to adjust intakevalve at cylinder 2 and exhaustvalve at cylinder 8 to zero lash? I have edelbroeck RPM camshaft.

Offline LAA66

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2008 - 12:18:06 PM »
 With a new motor there is the possibility that the distributor is 180 degrees off and still points to #1 cylinder. Check to see that the neither lifter  for #1 cylinder is on a cam lobe. Then yes start adjusting the valves as you described.

As for you camshaft if it is hydraulic it will need some preload past 0 lash usually like 1/2 turn for example. Check the instructions that came with the cam. To get the correct starting point at 0 lash loosen the rocker adjuster to find free-play then slowly tighten the adjuster while spinning the pushrod until some resistance is felt. Then turn in the recommended number of turns.

Just curious, what was the problem with the fuel pump?