Author Topic: AMD Challenger Bumpers  (Read 2001 times)

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
AMD Challenger Bumpers
« on: February 20, 2008 - 09:57:23 PM »
Ok,
I see a lot of talk on the some of the AMD products. I was looking on Ebay and saw the Challenger bumpers. I am looking for a new front bumper for my Challenger and thought these might work out good??  :dunno: Anbody have any input on these and if not on the bumpers, then any input on this company?? Good company? Good product?? Good service?? That's what makes this site so great!! You guys rock!! :2thumbs:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline Chlngrcrzy

Re: AMD Challenger Bumpers
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008 - 11:05:44 PM »
I got my new challenger roof from them(AMD). And they were great to work with. I e-mailed them several times before purchasing and they were very quick to reply. Sent my roof out the day after i purchased. I can't help you on the bumpers, but would be interested in knowing more about their bumpers. I will need a rear one, down the road a ways. :popcorn:

Offline AMXguy

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008 - 01:09:19 AM »
Are they made by keystone? I bought a set of Keystone bumpers from YO and they look and fit just like the originals. my only gripe is the chrome on the front one in the right light has a smokey haze in part of it. not real bad but I see it, nobody else has said anything yet.
1970 R/T SE Challenger
 1970 Superbee
 1969 S code Mach 1
 1967  GTO

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008 - 01:19:39 AM »
I think AMD makes all their own products.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008 - 07:45:44 AM »
 :popcorn:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008 - 10:32:48 AM »
Welllll,
I just ordered a new front bumper for my '74 Challenger from Auto Metal Direct (AMD). :2thumbs: I'll let you guys know how it fits/looks/quality ect. when I get it!! AMD does make the parts it sells. Hope it's top notch!! :jumping:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008 - 08:55:15 PM »
Got a surprise today from the UPS man!! :clapping: My '74 Challenger front bumper from AMD. The bumper looks great, but could use a good polishing. I can't say it was very well packaged, although not damaged. The box was all torn up on one end and when I picked up the package, the bumper literally fell out!! It could have used some bubble wrap in addition to the thin brown paper!! I'll post later on how well it fits on the car! Looks so much better than my faded original!! :2thumbs:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline duodec

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008 - 01:35:38 AM »
How does the new one compare to the original for metal thickness and weight?

Offline 70_challenger

• Suburban Detroit, Michigan
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008 - 09:32:07 AM »
I would certainly look that bumper over good for any nicks...That sort of packaging is unacceptable. 
Sort of reminds me of my experience with Rock Auto, but that's a story for another day...

I appreciate any feedback on these bumpers, or experience with this company, as I'm sure a lot of us will be looking at these bumpers soon!

-Tom
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008 - 09:35:34 AM by 70_challenger »

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008 - 09:55:16 AM »
 :iagree:

Its such a pain to try to make it to the vendor 7am on the first day of Carlisle, just to find out they just sold the last of the 3 70/71 bumpers they brought with them.  :pullinghair:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline old-school

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008 - 11:06:12 AM »
I bought front and rear bumpers at Paddocks this past Saturday here in Indiana for my 73 Challenger. The cost was $499.95 for the set. They are AMD bumpers. Since Paddocks is only 40 miles from my house i was able to go pick them up myself and save on the shipping. They were packaged the same as yours. I agree, pretty lame packing to say the least.

They definately needed polishing. They seem to have a almost oil like film on them. The rear bumper fit like a glove and i put it on Sunday the following day after i bought them. However i'm going to have a problem with the front. It doesn't contour properly to the heavy filler plate. Two of the holes were off so i had to grind the two round holes into slot holes in order to be able to get the bolts in. I had trouble getting the front bumper off so i just removed all of the bracing from the frame which made it easier to get to the back of the bumper bolts.

I'll let you guys know how it goes back on as soon as the weather warms up so i can work in my garage. I have to tell you i'm concerned because this bumper is going to have to flex a little when all the bolts pull it against the filler plate because as i mentioned, the contour is just slightly off and the filler plate doesn't sit quite all of the way down into the bumper. It's not off a lot, but it will have to flex a hair.

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008 - 11:13:00 AM »
FYI, MOPARDAVE started a thread on these bumpers, as he is stocking them now.

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008 - 01:10:59 PM »
$500 for the set isn't bad, as it is costing me $330 just to replate my front bumper
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008 - 04:08:13 PM »
I saw this guy advertising AMD bumpers on craigslist.  Is this anyone we know?  :dunno:

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/pts/588761321.html

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger