Just ordered XV level II suspension

Author Topic: Just ordered XV level II suspension  (Read 36246 times)

Offline gkring

Re: Just ordered XV level II suspension
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2008 - 10:12:41 PM »
here's a little testament to the XV quality. the pin assembly is a punch tool to mark the additional holes needed for the crossmember. you mark and drill through the framerails top and bottom and weld in support tubes to bolt though in addition to your original 4 bolt mounts. this tool alone is a nice piece of work. The mounts shown are what you weld into your shock towers. You basically cut everything else out and put these in place ready to go and weld the heck out of them.
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline gkring

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2008 - 10:19:44 PM »
Here's some pics of the front suspension pieces. Splined hollow sway bar and accompanying aluminum milled mounts and aluminum end links. 2nd pic are the stock corvette lower arm and knuckle along with the custom upper control arm. I know I have been saying this stuff is light, but these upper arms are unbelieveable!! Last pic is of the aluminum lower control arm for the rear along with panhard bar, upper center link, sway bar end links, and sway bar arms. All very nice, high quality race stuff. I'll need a driving class just to be able to appreciate all this stuff, much less take advantage of it.
Greg
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2008 - 11:30:54 PM »
The XV parts look awesome! Are you going to do the install yourself? (maybe you are a chassis shop?) I've read from other installs on the web that the front suspension is pretty straight forward on the XV install. What do you think on the rear?

Very nice!!!
Wes

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2008 - 05:46:22 AM »
Nice stuff thanls for keeping us posted.  :2thumbs:

Would you like me to test it out on my car for a year or two.  :smilielol:

Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2008 - 08:05:12 AM »
Awesone stuff!  :worshippy Keep the pictures comming!  :picture:
Member of The Rapid Transit System

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2008 - 08:07:05 AM »
Good looking gear............. :drool: It will be so nice seeing all these goodies going in to their new home :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline Travis72

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2008 - 08:03:30 PM »
Great pics of some great looking parts!   On the steering column, I'm interested in if it came with an "install" kit?  Since I put a Flaming River column in my car, I had to fab up the install parts myself, so I was interested how XV accomplished it.

Thanks,
Travis

Offline gkring

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2008 - 09:05:29 PM »
Great pics of some great looking parts!   On the steering column, I'm interested in if it came with an "install" kit?  Since I put a Flaming River column in my car, I had to fab up the install parts myself, so I was interested how XV accomplished it.

Thanks,
Travis

Mounts welded to the tube for the stock u tube hanger bracket to bolt to and a flange at the firewall end that matches the two bolt stocker. Nothing very special that anyone with a welder couldn't do from what I saw, but I don't have a regular Ididit column to compare it to. Considering tilt no key columns from Ididit through Summit are $330ish the column from XV ready to go for $395 (at full list) is not a bad deal. I went with a keyless setup, the keyed ones cost more and don't look right in an Ebody to me. A tip here is to buy from a XV distributor instead of direct as you can get better deals. I recommend www.Moparsupercenter.com
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008 - 12:00:44 AM by gkring »
Greg
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2008 - 05:10:17 AM »
Thats good to know.  :woo:

I think I will change my column, what about the steering wheel how does it adapt?
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline gkring

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2008 - 01:21:21 AM »
Finally found a little time to start working on the car again. Finished a couple projects and made room in the shop to pull the car back into the middle. First step was removing the factory bump stop mounts. Here's a picture of the spotwelds part way drilled out. Pretty big welds. First time for me drilling out spot welds, not looking forward to cutting all the rest of the welds out after doing just these few.
Greg
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline gkring

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2008 - 01:25:10 AM »
Removing the upper control arm mount is also kind of ugly. Two spotwelds from the engine bay and two big boxes with massive welds that need to be cut out. After studying it a little I decided a hole saw would get most of the weld at once.
Greg
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline gkring

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2008 - 01:27:10 AM »
A little pounding with the air chisel gets you here.
You also have to cut down the flange to be even with the framerail. I used the plasma cutter and a grinder, but I think a sawzall would probably work better. The plasma cutter is still a toy right now and I am not so good with it yet to cut smooth straight lines.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008 - 01:29:33 AM by gkring »
Greg
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline gkring

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2008 - 01:32:04 AM »
Ta Daa!!
Stopping here on the front. I need to compare some frame measurements with factory specs. the new K frame mounts with 4 factory holes and adds 6 more. I want to be sure everything is square before adding new holes.
Greg
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline gkring

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2008 - 01:42:16 AM »
I bought some 1 inch offset spring hangers from Cass at DR.Diff. They are very, very nice. All powdercoated with pretty welds. The XV setup they show on their blue convertible with 335 rear tires had the lower control are pushed to one side of the factory mount and used two spacers on one side of the control arm. I figured it would be better to space the lower control arm even like they originally designed it and use the offset hangers to do it. Notice now the lower control arm is completely inside the wheel well. Maybe this weekend I'll have more time to mock up the rear so it can get sent back to be finished. brakes are going to be a hangup. I was wanting to use new Corvette C6Z06 brakes. they will bolt up to the front no problem. 14 inch rotor and 6 piston calipers. Trying to get the rear to work will be another issue with the mopar housing. Lots of kits already if you have a chevy rear to convert to the 13 inch 4 piston brakes with internal parking brake setup, but nothing for a big bearing Mopar yet. Might be cheaper to go with a total Wilwood setup. I can get the vette stuff at near cost through my dealership where I work and I like the idea of using factory parts even if I have to remove the corvette lettering. I know brakes that big are overkill, but man they look good!
Greg
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2008 - 04:15:39 AM »
 :wow: Great update buddy.  Spot welds are time consuming but make life a lot easier than cutting through stitch weld. :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.